• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reporter Asks Steelers HC Mike Tomlin A Ridiculous Question About Dwayne Haskins; Tomlin Shut It down

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers as a whole, SteelerNation, and fans of many different organizations across the NFL in general mourned the loss of Dwayne Haskins who was tragically struck and killed by a dump truck on April 9th. The Steelers quarterback had ran out of gas while driving near Boca Raton, Florida and attempted to cross the interstate before tragedy struck.

Last Friday the Steelers organization, and his wife put on a funeral for Haskins in Pittsburgh. It was a beautiful ceremony that was open to the public for everyone to pay their respects. Coach Mike Tomlin, and general manger Kevin Colbert were in attendance.

Steelers Mike Tomlin at Haskins Funeral

Pittsburgh Steelers NFL football team President Art Rooney II, left, General Manger Kevin Colbert, center, and head coach Mike Tomlin, right, attend the memorial service for Dwayne Haskins, Friday, April 22, 2022, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

On Monday the Steelers held their annual pre-draft press conference and the first question that came out of a reporters mouth was the wrong one. We’re not sure who the reporter was that asked the question, but Tomlin answered it appropriately.

The question:

“When you’re looking at the quarterback position now, obviously with the tragedy that happened now with Haskins, does that effect your decision, you and Kevin going in whether you’re going to draft a QB maybe a little bit higher or any earlier in the draft?”

The answer:

“In regards to Dwayne our energies have been on paying proper respects, and supporting his family. We haven’t approached it from a business standpoint or a business decision making standpoint. We just feel like that’s the appropriate mindset for us to have as we sit here today.”

Call me crazy, but wouldn’t of it been just as easy to ask the same question without mentioning Haskins at all? Furthermore, don’t we already know the answer to the question. The Steelers weren’t going to not draft a quarterback because of Haskins. They put in tons of work on the position before his death.

As always, Coach Tomlin answered the question with a sharply put response. The only thing the Steelers have been concerned with in regards to Haskins has been helping his family out, and helping to honor his name since his passing.

There was never going to be a different response from Tomlin, and it’s sad that he even had to answer that question. Tomlin knew Haskins on a personal level. There is no doubt that he himself is still grieving, and there’s just no excuse for that question to be offered.

Steelers Quarterback Ran Out of Gas

hakins.jpg

From SteelersWorld

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I don't know. I don't think it was a bad question. The season will go on.

Tomlin's response is the right one. I just don't think at this point it is a bad question.

I don't know. I don't think it was a bad question. The season will go on.

Tomlin's response is the right one. I just don't think at this point it is a bad question.
It wasn't a bad question. The timing was bad.
Tomlin made that clear in his answer. Now is not the time for that.

Much ado about nothing.

It was a legit question. Tragic accident that it was the team will still have to bring in another QB so why not ask about it happening in the draft?

you know I feel the same about Haskins as I do any other young person that dies, if ******* sucks and my heart hurts for his family and friends. That said the draft starts in two days so if now is not the right time to ask questions then when is.

For most of us if we die Wednesday we would be replaced by Friday that's the nature of the beast. I never got the whole idea of, if you're famous that you should be treated different. I feel bad for his family but Haskins was not a friend of mine matter of fact I never met him or talked to him and I bet most will have to say the same.

so as long as it's respectful there should be no problem asking questions at any time. You can bet your *** if I get in my patrol car and get crushed by a semi tomorrow there won't be thousands of people mourning me and my job is a damn site more important than a professional athlete or actor.

you know I feel the same about Haskins as I do any other young person that dies, if ******* sucks and my heart hurts for his family and friends. That said the draft starts in two days so if now is not the right time to ask questions then when is.

For most of us if we die Wednesday we would be replaced by Friday that's the nature of the beast. I never got the whole idea of, if you're famous that you should be treated different. I feel bad for his family but Haskins was not a friend of mine matter of fact I never met him or talked to him and I bet most will have to say the same.

so as long as it's respectful there should be no problem asking questions at any time. You can bet your *** if I get in my patrol car and get crushed by a semi tomorrow there won't be thousands of people mourning me and my job is a damn site more important than a professional athlete or actor.
You would be missed here and not just by me.👊

Its a legitimate question to be honest. Asked immediately before the draft and at a position that was already a question mark. He is probably still grieving but that doesn’t change the reality that he has a responsibility to the press.

You know, as I recall Thurman Munson died in an airplane crash during the 1979 baseball season with the New York Yankees. I’m sure some reporter back then had to ask about roster moves to bring in a new backup catcher. There seems to be also a strange cofferdam also around even questioning the many loose ends of the story of what happened and why. When it might actually be a good teaching point for young people and situational awareness.

You know, as I recall Thurman Munson died in an airplane crash during the 1979 baseball season with the New York Yankees. I’m sure some reporter back then had to ask about roster moves to bring in a new backup catcher. There seems to be also a strange cofferdam also around even questioning the many loose ends of the story of what happened and why. When it might actually be a good teaching point for young people and situational awareness.

I agree. They still havent released a toxicology report , that im aware of.