• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rest in Peace, Otto Warmbier

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Poor kid died yesterday. At least he got to be "home" with family when it happened. His death could have been prevented had we had a President who gave a ****. Instead, Obama frees Bergdahl and keeps Otto locked up. I can't imagine how devastated his family is right now.

His death could have been prevented ..

I get your anger Lyn but what I can't understand is why an American student was in N. Korea in the first place. Surely there are places on earth that people can go without the obviously glaring threats that that Country has demonstrated.

31B353F300000578-3468799-image-a-59_1456766986250.jpg

Otto Warmbier, a detained University of Virginia student, was paraded before the media on Monday in Pyongyang, where he tearfully apologized for attempting to steal a political banner

Especially with this nut job in charge..

31A89A4200000578-3468799-image-a-69_1456728024046.jpg

At least tag along with Dennis Rodman if ya really really gotta go there.

416E5CBA00000578-4607238-image-a-1_1497530367115.jpg

Required reading: Former NBA basketball star Dennis Rodman presents the president's bestselling book - 'Trump The Art of the Deal' - to North Korea's Sports Minister Kim Il Guk

Looks like he was on a tour of the country. He was an economics major at UVA so we can speculate as to WHY he chose to go there. I don't get it either, but it's too late to figure that out now. Point is- he was an American citizen held as prisoner for removing a political sign off a wall. Obama told his family not to make any comments about it, to lay low, and let things take its course. His family was forbidden to hang yellow ribbons or make any statements. Heck- I didn't even hear about Otto until Trump sent a delegate over to NK to negotiate his release.

I am sorry for his family.

I can't help but think he is responsible for his own demise. He seemed to have the millenial "rules don't apply to me attitude" and took everything as a Joke. Well you can't play dick around **** around games in the most repressive country on the planet. Remember this is a place where they execute people with anti-aircraft guns and send people to prison for not weeping enough at state funerals.

I am sorry for his family.

I can't help but think he is responsible for his own demise. He seemed to have the millenial "rules don't apply to me attitude" and took everything as a Joke. Well you can't play dick around **** around games in the most repressive country on the planet. Remember this is a place where they execute people with anti-aircraft guns and send people to prison for not weeping enough at state funerals.

Yeah, I wonder where else he wanted to tour. Kabul? Tehran?

Anyway, drop 8 MOABs on the Norks.

Well at least one good thing came out of this fiasco....

The father of an American student who was medically evacuated from North Korea in a coma has criticised the Obama administration for not doing enough to help him, and attack the Chinese tour company for “luring young Americans” to be imprisoned by the pariah state.

He strongly criticised the Chinese company who organised the tour.

“This Chinese company has slick ads on the internet, claiming no American ever gets detained,” he said.

“Otto is a young adventure-seeking kid. They lure Americans. And that’s what happened to my son.

“He was trying to leave the country and he was taken hostage. They advertise it as the safest tour ever. But they provide fodder for the North Koreans. They took him hostage. And the outcome is self-evident.”

Young Pioneer Tours, the China-based company with which U.S. student Otto Warmbier was traveling when he was arrested in North Korea, announced on Monday that it would stop accepting U.S. citizens on North Korean tours. “The devastating loss of Otto Warmbier’s life has led us to reconsider our position on accepting American tourists... Now, the assessment of risk for Americans visiting North Korea has become too high,” the company wrote in a statement on Facebook. “Considering these facts and this tragic outcome we will no longer be organising tours for US citizens to North Korea.”
http://www.youngpioneertours.com/

Yeah, I wonder where else he wanted to tour. Kabul? Tehran?

Anyway, drop 8 MOABs on the Norks.

Good guess Indy....

Aside from the DPRK, we travel to a number of other destinations such as Afghanistan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Chernobyl, Cuba, Antarctica, Eritrea and more!

Chernobyl, wow..sign me the **** up..... LOL

You are an absolute fool to visit that country. You may as well go visit ISIS. Totally avoidable. I wouldn't trust China for ****.

as i saw elsewhere, the only reason for an American to visit NK is to pull the "Bombs Release" lever.

Good guess Indy....

Aside from the DPRK, we travel to a number of other destinations such as Afghanistan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Chernobyl, Cuba, Antarctica, Eritrea and more!

Chernobyl, wow..sign me the **** up..... LOL

There aren't many travel lists where the -50F country seems the most hospitable. Other than Cuba.

That's my first thought too when something like his happens. What in THE **** are you doing hanging around in North Korea???

His soul waited until it was home with his family before leaving. He was basically already dead.

The North Koreans murdered him and the blood is on Obama's hands for doing nothing to try and get him back. I really have no idea what Trump will do here. Diplomatic pressure on NK and China must be ratcheted up 10 fold. If that doesn't work, some military action may be needed.

Very sad, but no way in hell do I let one of my kids go to North Korea. I was nervous enough sending my daughter to Paris. Of course he was an adult but I would bet Mom and Dad helped pay for it.

Part of the problem is these kids are raised and taught through the public school system not to be"xenophobes"....I'm sure he didn't really believe that the North Korean government could be as bad as America says it is. He found out the hard way

Very sad, but no way in hell do I let one of my kids go to North Korea. I was nervous enough sending my daughter to Paris. Of course he was an adult but I would bet Mom and Dad helped pay for it.

Part of the problem is these kids are raised and taught through the public school system not to be"xenophobes"....I'm sure he didn't really believe that the North Korean government could be as bad as America says it is. He found out the hard way

I think you mean "private school system" - as it's doubtful public school kids families could afford the lavish expense to tour the ******* world to stomp out capitalism.

I think you mean "private school system" - as it's doubtful public school kids families could afford the lavish expense to tour the ******* world to stomp out capitalism.

From what I understand he went to a public high school near Cincinnati. That explains the idiocy a bit.

From what I understand he went to a public high school near Cincinnati. That explains the idiocy a bit.

He went to Wyoming HS in Cincinnati.

Definitely not a safe place to go and he DID steal a poster but 15 years in jail and torture is kind of typical for Communist police states.

White privilege. The sick liberal response to his death.

“North Korea Proves Your White Male Privilege Is Not Universal,” read one Huffington Post piece, penned by blogger La Sha, days after Warmbier was sentenced in March 2016.

http://www.sarahpalin.com/flashback-otto-warmbiers-death-recall-liberals-sick-responses-arrest/

You'll note there are no comments on her blog. You COULD check her twitter -- but THAT's restricted to approved viewers. Seems someone doesn't like to be disagreed with.

https://twitter.com/knflkkollective

A follow request has been sent to @knflkkollective and is pending their approval.

will let you know...

Saw on the news this morning that there are tour groups that go to NK. And Americans still go. So if there is a way to get over there, people will go. Don't agree with it, but they do.

On FB today my Democrat cousin tried to pin this on Trump by saying if he wants a travel ban he should also ban Americans from traveling TO dangerous counties.
I strung him along for a few posts before I pointed out that Warm Beer went to NK while Bomma was President.

On FB today my Democrat cousin tried to pin this on Trump by saying if he wants a travel ban he should also ban Americans from traveling TO dangerous counties.
I strung him along for a few posts before I pointed out that Warm Beer went to NK while Bomma was President.

And Bomma was the one who told Otto's family to be silent about the situation. No yellow ribbons, no pressers, nothing.