• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Revenue to go to Obamacare fund cut by Congress

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Just in case you missed this little gem of a bill, nanny Rosa is takin' good care of yinz.

Democrat Seeking National Soda Tax

Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D., Conn.) is seeking a national soda tax, an effort backed by leaders of the movement to ban smoking indoors and others who call carbonated beverages “toxic.” Larry Cohen, a social justice activist and one of the leaders behind banning smoking in bars and restaurants, endorsed the bill. “Soda and sugary beverages are the new tobacco and the fight to reduce their marketing and consumption is the next great public health battle,” Cohen said. “I helped create the nation’s first multi-city no-smoking laws and advocated for years to increase the tax on tobacco.”

The tax is targeted at Americans who are low-income, African American, Hispanic, and children, which the legislation calls “priority populations” due to higher rates of obesity and diabetes. Revenue from the tax would go toward more nutrition and prevention programs, even though the bill admits such efforts have failed to curb childhood obesity.

“Despite significant public and private investment, childhood obesity rates remain high,” it said.

Democrats have attempted similar efforts at the state level. California proposed adding a warning label to soda. A penny per ounce tax was voted down in Chicago after complaints that it would cost consumers almost $3 more for a 12-pack case of soda, and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s super-sized soda ban was also rejected.

http://freebeacon.us4.list-manage1....1bb9bfafcbd472bee2&id=615be3ec3b&e=1b60289474

Ya notice that Dems have a hankerin' for constant war on sumpthin, anything that can rile the base but no winning is allowed.

War on poverty, not even a smidgen of relief in the number of poor people despite over a trillion dollars "attacking it".
War on drugs, same result except now they are pushing to legalize the "drug" they have put millions of people in jail for possessing.
War on sugar, hell yeh why not. We gotta make up that money for Obamacare somehow.

EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy told Congress that the EPA's sweeping carbon-regulation plan "really is an investment opportunity". Yes, lobbyists, be sure to buy your bureaucrats while they're still for sale cheap.

-- Fred Thompson

Last edited:

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
The tax is targeted at Americans who are low-income, African American, Hispanic, and children, which the legislation calls “priority populations” due to higher rates of obesity and diabetes. Revenue from the tax would go toward more nutrition and prevention programs, even though the bill admits such efforts have failed to curb childhood obesity.

This makes absolutely no sense.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to be surprised or even angry at this. But the continuous wailing, teeth gnashing, crepe hanging anxieties coming from the left have completely inured me to their cries.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I can't wait until the government starts sending papers detailing approved "Healthy" dinners to my house that tell me what I am allowed to eat every day and what I'm not

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
This makes absolutely no sense.

What makes no sense is that this is primarily coming from the same group of people who want to legalize weed.

ark steel

Reaction score
I can't wait until the government starts sending papers detailing approved "Healthy" dinners to my house that tell me what I am allowed to eat every day and what I'm not

All while not requiring GMO foods to be labeled as such. Actually, not only are they not requiring it, they are incredibly resistant to the idea.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Just have another 40 Oz. instead

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
All while not requiring GMO foods to be labeled as such. Actually, not only are they not requiring it, they are incredibly resistant to the idea.
That's because you have people moving back and forth between the FDA and Monsanto in the same way they move between the Fed and Goldman Sachs. But the Republicans are the party of Big Business and The Rich. :rolleyes:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I actually wish all taxes would go to some form of sales tax. Not saying I agree on taxing cigarettes, alcohol, or soda pop specifically but I think the fairest form of taxation is a universal sales tax. That way whether you make $10,000 or $10,000,000 you pay into the system and you can control how much you pay. If you don't buy new cars and new phones and new whatever you don't pay as much as someone who is always buying stuff. I personally would start to buy second hand everything and drive my cars until they died. Then fix them and drive them until they died again.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
I actually wish all taxes would go to some form of sales tax. Not saying I agree on taxing cigarettes, alcohol, or soda pop specifically but I think the fairest form of taxation is a universal sales tax. That way whether you make $10,000 or $10,000,000 you pay into the system and you can control how much you pay. If you don't buy new cars and new phones and new whatever you don't pay as much as someone who is always buying stuff. I personally would start to buy second hand everything and drive my cars until they died. Then fix them and drive them until they died again.

It's nice in theory. But the government would keep income, property and gas tax, then impose a VAT tax.

ark steel

Reaction score
That's because you have people moving back and forth between the FDA and Monsanto in the same way they move between the Fed and Goldman Sachs. But the Republicans are the party of Big Business and The Rich. :rolleyes:

The idea of GMO's, in and of itself, does not bother me too much. What does bother me is that, in this age of the federal government requiring more and more disclosure (not just on food) and micromanaging even what schools are allowed to feed kids, they won't require the labeling so people can decide for themselves.

I believe you are correct as to the reasoning, but it is mind boggling to me.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
It's nice in theory. But the government would keep income, property and gas tax, then impose a VAT tax.

I think of all the taxes I hate property taxes the most. Just because you never actually own your land instead you rent it from the government for the rest of your life.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

www.fairtax.org

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
Just in case you missed this little gem of a bill, nanny Rosa is takin' good care of yinz.

Democrat Seeking National Soda Tax

Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D., Conn.) is seeking a national soda tax, an effort backed by leaders of the movement to ban smoking indoors and others who call carbonated beverages “toxic.” Larry Cohen, a social justice activist and one of the leaders behind banning smoking in bars and restaurants, endorsed the bill. “Soda and sugary beverages are the new tobacco and the fight to reduce their marketing and consumption is the next great public health battle,”

Think maybe we should resolve the fight against tobacco, and maybe win that pesky war on drugs, before we start new fights?

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
We see how well the Nutritious Lunch program that Moochelle pushed for is working out. It's NOT. So taxing lower income people to push nutritious meals that the kids won't eat anyway makes ZERO sense.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Think maybe we should resolve the fight against tobacco, and maybe win that pesky war on drugs, before we start new fights?

No..no, you have other things in life to consider.

View attachment 386

I'll start the the day by sharing a 'made-up' true story.......

A beautiful fairy appeared one day to a destitute Mexican refugee outside an Arizona immigration office.

“Good man," the fairy said, "I've been sent here by President Obama and told to grant you three wishes, since you just arrived in the United States with your wife and eight children."

The man told the fairy, "Well, where I come from we don't have good teeth, so I want new teeth, maybe a lot of gold in them."

The fairy looked at the man's almost toothless grin and -- PING !-- he had a brand new shining set of gold teeth in his mouth!

"What else?" asked the fairy, "Two more to go."

The refugee claimant now got bolder. "I need a big house with big three-car garage in Annapolis on the water with eight bedrooms for my family and the rest of my relatives who still live in my country. I want to bring them all over here" --- and PING -- in the distance there could be seen a beautiful mansion with a three-car garage, a long driveway, and a walkout patio with a BBQ in an upscale neighborhood overlooking the bay.

"One more wish," said the fairy, waving her wand.

"Yes, one more wish. I want to be like an American with American clothes instead of these torn clothes, and a baseball cap instead of this sombrero. And I want to have white skin like Americans" --- and --- PING -- The man was instantly transformed - wearing worn-out jeans, a Baltimore Orioles T-shirt, and a baseball cap. He had his bad teeth back and the mansion had disappeared from the horizon.

"What happened to my new teeth?" he wailed. "Where is my new house?"

The fairy said: "Tough ****, Amigo, now that you are a white American, you have to fend for yourself."

Last edited: