• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rocker Bret Michael’s Campaigning For Steelers to Select Matt Corral

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been spending more time scouting quarterbacks this off-season than they have in the past 18-years combined. And obviously Ben Roethlisberger’s retirement put this plan into motion. Now it’s time to see what Mike Tomlin, and Kevin Colbert can do as far as identifying talent at the position, and if they can get their next ‘franchise quarterback.’

Steelers Interested in Corral

Jan 1, 2022; New Orleans, LA, USA; Mississippi Rebels quarterback Matt Corral (2) makes a throw against the Baylor Bears in the second quarter in the 2022 Sugar Bowl at the Caesars Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

On of the quarterbacks that the Steelers have been scouting is Mississippi gunslinger Matt Corral. Corral broke out in 2020 becoming a finalist for the Manning Award which goes to the best quarterback in college football. It’s the only quarterback award that takes into consideration all bowl games. In 2021 Corral finished 7th in the Heisman voting after leading Ole Miss to the Sugar Bowl before losing to #6 Baylor. Corral was injured early in the game and missed the remainder of the game.

The Steelers traveled to Corral’s Pro Day on March 23, and will have the quarterback flown into Pittsburgh so the two sides can meet privately this week according to reports.

On Sunday Corral joined the Rich Eisen Show to discuss a variety of topics, but an interesting note was that Corral says rock star Bret Michael’s is pushing for the Steelers to select him. Michael’s of course is a native of western Pennsylvania, and a huge Steelers fan.

“I’ve talked to Bret throughout this process. He really wants me to land in Pittsburgh,” Corral said. “I have the utmost respect for the Michaels family. What they’ve done for me is something that I can never repay them for. They were there for me in tough times and helping me through and showing me guidance and being able to be there for me when I felt like nobody was. And that’s something I can never repay them for.”

Corral would go on to say that Michael’s is really pushing Mr. Rooney.

“The Michaels’ family, Bret is really pushing Mr. Rooney for them to pick me…he used to live next to one of the owners of the Steelers. That was his neighbor. They used to talk a lot. I know he brought my name up.”

Michaels met Corral while he was in high school according to Corral. They’ve become family according to both sides.

“Ever since I was a freshman in high school. Towards the end of my freshman year of high school I met him then and his family. They’re really great people all around.”

Now about a month ago Michaels was actually on Eisen’s show and brought up Corral to Pittsburgh without being asked. He acknowledged the Steelers situation with Mitchell Trubisky just being signed, but he insists they wouldn’t be sorry if they selected his friend.

“Rich what about my buddy, family friend, of our family Matt Corral. Ole Miss. I’m telling you,” Michaels told Eisen. “I know Trubisky is in, I get it…I know he’s in, but I’m telling you Matt Corral, I’ve seen him grow up. Play all over the place in Southern Cal. For whatever my 2 cents are worth he’s got that heart of a lion. His guys would get hurt on the field, he’d run out and carry them off the field. Team player, quarterback. He has an unbroken fighting spirit.”

Corral could be a target for the Steelers in the first round if they feel strongly enough about him. He’s considered to go as early as the top 15 by some draft experts, and as low as the third round. Grades are all over the place on him. The chances of him being on the board when the Steelers select in the first round is very likely though.

h3>
Is Matt Corral being overlooked as the probable draft pick for the Steelers?
Steelers Set to Host 1st Round NFL Draft Prospect, QB Matt Corral

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Corral is a sleeper pick in my eyes for the Steelers. If they really want a QB, Willis will be gone. I can see them going for Corral. None of these QB's are near ready to start day 1 but sitting for a year will help Corral or any QB they pick, if they pick one.

I wonder which QB in this draft hasn't been mentioned to Rooney in one way or another. Of coarse he wants picked in the 1st, money is way better than later rounds.

I'm on the boat of no QB this draft, that may come back to bite me but in the long run it would increase our odds of a better team & QB next year.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
Meh. Didn't Micheals win a season of the Apprentice? If he says draft Corral....then we better draft the kid.

Anyone else think that it's very odd that Michaels has been into this kid since his HS freshmen season? Why?

Anyone else think that it's very odd that Michaels has been into this kid since his HS freshmen season? Why?

Good Samaritan,

Next question................................

Salute the nation