• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rolling Stone Backpedals On UVA Rape Story, Says 'Trust' in Victim Misplaced

Spike

Reaction score
Rolling Stone magazine on Friday apologized for "discrepancies" in its bombshell story that said a female student at the University of Virginia was gang-raped at a fraternity — prompting the school to suspend all Greek activity last month. The account given by the student, identified only as Jackie, allegedly took place at a Phi Kappa Psi party in September 2012, when she was 18. The magazine had not interviewed any of the seven suspects for the report.

In a major inconsistency, The Washington Post found, no current members of the fraternity or pledges at the time match the descriptions detailed of the alleged ringleader identified only as "Drew" in the Rolling Stone account.

"In the face of new information, there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie's account, and we have come to the conclusion that our trust in her was misplaced," wrote managing editor Will Dana in a note to readers. "We were trying to be sensitive to the unfair shame and humiliation many women feel after a sexual assault and now regret the decision to not contact the alleged assaulters to get their account. We are taking this seriously and apologize to anyone who was affected by the story

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/educati...ape-story-says-trust-victim-misplaced-n262581

--------------------

more ****** "reporting"

That's going to leave a mark.

All of my relatives were talking about this story over Thanksgiving...I suspected from the beginning it was BS...9 UVA students (these are bright kids..not backwoods rednecks) who were all happy to participate in a premeditated, forcible gang rape of a fully conscious woman in front of multiple witnesses? I didn't buy it. I was pretty heavily bashed by the vegan gluten free feminist youngsters for daring to question it...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to oneforthebus again.

I hope that fraternity sues Rolling Stone out of business. This is libel, plain and simple!

When the story first broke I called bullshit on it. Read about it on Reason. com where one of the writers commented about the story saying the UVA administration should not be dealing with it at all it was a criminal and therefore a police matter. The author is a RadFem who let her ideology blind her. The reasoning was fraternities are all male organizations so they must be bad. If the woman "Jackie" even exists I would be amazed. Lena Dunham has also just made an outrageous claim of being raped by a college Republican with a mustache and purple cow by boots. The RadFems know that a rape claim is the easiest way to ruin a mans reputation so they use it as a tactic to destroy. The thing is as they get caught in the lies it hurts victims who really have been raped as it makes people doubt their honesty.

When the story first broke I called bullshit on it. Read about it on Reason. com where one of the writers commented about the story saying the UVA administration should not be dealing with it at all it was a criminal and therefore a police matter. The author is a RadFem who let her ideology blind her. The reasoning was fraternities are all male organizations so they must be bad. If the woman "Jackie" even exists I would be amazed. Lena Dunham has also just made an outrageous claim of being raped by a college Republican with a mustache and purple cow by boots. The RadFems know that a rape claim is the easiest way to ruin a mans reputation so they use it as a tactic to destroy. The thing is as they get caught in the lies it hurts victims who really have been raped as it makes people doubt their honesty.

Huh. This is the first I have heard of this case. When will people realize that falsely accusing people of stuff like this destroy lives? It's sickening.

I hope that fraternity sues Rolling Stone out of business. This is libel, plain and simple!

The university as well, since it's reputation unjustly took a big hit too.

Duke Lacrosse all over again. I can see how rich, privileged white kids rub people the wrong way, but come on!

Saw this when it broke as the lead story on the MSM. Haven't seen any follow up Ooops yet.

When the story first broke I called bullshit on it.

I recall that you did indeed question the reliability of the story.

And as OFTB noted, who thinks it likely that 9 college students from an elite college would think it appropriate to join up and rape a woman?

I have lived in VA for almost 30 years and known many people that graduated from UVA. I can guarantee that there is a lawyer in one of the boys' families that is licking HIS chops. Thanks for the hard hitting journalism Rolling Stone....please stick to Elvis sightings and what Justin Beiber had for breakfast.

I had no idea this was a story, and don't care. I don't ******* care. I DON'T ******* CARE! Some frat got a bum rap. Then they got cleared. I DON'T ******* CARE!

Obama is about to formally piss off Israel. Our Seal team rescue **** the bed. Putin is eating our lunch, and Iran is laughing at us. I kinda give a **** about that stuff.

I had no idea this was a story, and don't care. I don't ******* care. I DON'T ******* CARE! Some frat got a bum rap. Then they got cleared. I DON'T ******* CARE!

Obama is about to formally piss off Israel. Our Seal team rescue **** the bed. Putin is eating our lunch, and Iran is laughing at us. I kinda give a **** about that stuff.

You should care. Bad journalism contributes to all of those things. Having a press corp that is idea logically biased guarantees that the Pols will remain inept. Also when journalists publish false stories like this it contributes to societal decay.

And as OFTB noted, who thinks it likely that 9 college students from an elite college would think it appropriate to join up and rape a woman?

People who want to believe it, that's who. Critical thinking is largely dead in the United States, people believe what they want to believe and they don't want to question it. FOX News and MSNBC exist because there is a demand for them.

You should care. Bad journalism contributes to all of those things. Having a press corp that is idea logically biased guarantees that the Pols will remain inept. Also when journalists publish false stories like this it contributes to societal decay.

Yep.

The medium is the message.

The media is **** at best.

This is a pimple on the *** of the bad "journalism" in practice today. You go ahead and get whipped up about this stupid **** and don't try to tell me what I should care about.

Weren't there protests against the UVA Greek frats and requests for bans after this came out? That's why this sort of journalism needs to be weeded out. Honestly, there should be lawsuits against he author and Rolling Stone.

. The RadFems know that a rape claim is the easiest way to ruin a mans reputation so they use it as a tactic to destroy.

I presume you mean as long as the guys name rhymes with dill klinton.

Pathetic reporting by Rolling Stone. However, the worst part about all of this is that women who really are raped are less likely to be believed every time there is a false allegation like this one. There is a reason rapes go unreported and this kind of idiotic behavior (both by Rolling Stone and "Jackie") doesn't help matters.

Rolling Stone is trash. You would think after last year and them glorifying that Boston Marathon terrorist that they would have learned their lesson and published high quality, RESEARCHED stories. I quit reading them years ago once they went from music news to slanted political news.