• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rookies are Making a Historical Impact

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers rarely allow rookies to start. They often wait a year or two in the wings, learning from the established starters before earning their first start. 2021 is a bit different. The Steelers were horrible at running the football last season, so much so that they drafted offensive players with their first four picks to make a bigger commitment to running the football. Now with the departures of Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, and James Conner, there were three starting positions up for grabs, and the rookies worked hard to try and earn first team reps.

Najee Harris was drafted in the first round and is expected to be the next feature back of this franchise. We have heard stale arguments from analysts that have never played the game stating, “you never take a running back in the first round,” but I strongly disagree. Najee Harris was the best running back in college football last year. He is effective in the running and passing game, rarely fumbles, has an incredible work ethic, and an enormous commitment to his community. You don’t find guys like this in any round but the first. Now we find Harris as the starting running back, as expected, and there is a lot of excitement within Steeler Nation to see this incredibly talented back break some big plays for the black and gold.

Pat Freiermuth was a surprise pick for some in the second round. Where most analysts were expecting a lineman, the Steelers went out and grabbed a huge position of need by selecting the undisputed second best tight end in the draft to help block in the running game, as well as make plays with his excellent hands down field. Now ‘Muth’ is listed as one of two starting tight ends along with Eric Ebron. If the Steelers are committed to running the football, it was essential to add a tight end with better blocking than Ebron.

Kendrick Green was selected as a center in the third round. Although he was an excellent guard in college, he showed his potential to be a center in the NFL by playing the position at the Senior Bowl. His athleticism was too much for the Steelers to ignore, and they had him listed as the backup center to J.C. Hassenauer. Although he took all the first team reps in practice and games, he was finally listed as the starting center on this week’s depth chart, which came as no surprise to anyone.

Dan Moore Jr. was a bit of a surprise in the 4th round. Not a surprise that the Steelers drafted a physical tackle that has an angry streak in the running game, but a surprise that the Steelers selected four straight offensive players with their first four picks. Moore was expected to be the backup swing tackle and extra tackle in short yardage situations, but with Zach Banner being placed on Injured Reserve, Chukwuma Okorafor moved from left tackle back to his starting position from last year at right tackle. Moore is now the starting left tackle for Week 1.

So for a team that rarely starts rookies, the Steelers now have all four of their first round picks starting on offense Week 1 of a season. I can’t find another year in the Super Bowl era where they have had so many starters that they just drafted to start the year. Kudos to general manager, Kevin Colbert and head coach, Mike Tomlin for addressing their needs so early in the draft. Although their intent wasn’t to have to draft so many starters immediately, it’s a good thing that all of them have shown that they can play football at a high level so early in their careers.

Which rookie are yinz looking to see the most this upcoming season? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

The Pittsburgh Steelers rarely allow rookies to start. They often wait a year or two in the wings, learning from the established starters before earning their first start. 2021 is a bit different. The Steelers were horrible at running the football last season, so much so that they drafted offensive players with their first four picks to make a bigger commitment to running the football. Now with the departures of Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, and James Conner, there were three starting positions up for grabs, and the rookies worked hard to try and earn first team reps.

Najee Harris was drafted in the first round and is expected to be the next feature back of this franchise. We have heard stale arguments from analysts that have never played the game stating, “you never take a running back in the first round,” but I strongly disagree. Najee Harris was the best running back in college football last year. He is effective in the running and passing game, rarely fumbles, has an incredible work ethic, and an enormous commitment to his community. You don’t find guys like this in any round but the first. Now we find Harris as the starting running back, as expected, and there is a lot of excitement within Steeler Nation to see this incredibly talented back break some big plays for the black and gold.

Pat Freiermuth was a surprise pick for some in the second round. Where most analysts were expecting a lineman, the Steelers went out and grabbed a huge position of need by selecting the undisputed second best tight end in the draft to help block in the running game, as well as make plays with his excellent hands down field. Now ‘Muth’ is listed as one of two starting tight ends along with Eric Ebron. If the Steelers are committed to running the football, it was essential to add a tight end with better blocking than Ebron.

Kendrick Green was selected as a center in the third round. Although he was an excellent guard in college, he showed his potential to be a center in the NFL by playing the position at the Senior Bowl. His athleticism was too much for the Steelers to ignore, and they had him listed as the backup center to J.C. Hassenauer. Although he took all the first team reps in practice and games, he was finally listed as the starting center on this week’s depth chart, which came as no surprise to anyone.

Dan Moore Jr. was a bit of a surprise in the 4th round. Not a surprise that the Steelers drafted a physical tackle that has an angry streak in the running game, but a surprise that the Steelers selected four straight offensive players with their first four picks. Moore was expected to be the backup swing tackle and extra tackle in short yardage situations, but with Zach Banner being placed on Injured Reserve, Chukwuma Okorafor moved from left tackle back to his starting position from last year at right tackle. Moore is now the starting left tackle for Week 1.

So for a team that rarely starts rookies, the Steelers now have all four of their first round picks starting on offense Week 1 of a season. I can’t find another year in the Super Bowl era where they have had so many starters that they just drafted to start the year. Kudos to general manager, Kevin Colbert and head coach, Mike Tomlin for addressing their needs so early in the draft. Although their intent wasn’t to have to draft so many starters immediately, it’s a good thing that all of them have shown that they can play football at a high level so early in their careers.

Which rookie are yinz looking to see the most this upcoming season? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
Excited to see them all. Hoping the Oline rookies don't play like it.

It's been a while since I've written an article. I can't remember a year with so many rookie starters. Plus we have a staring punter!
I can't remember a year to this degree either. I think historically it is thought with rookies come rookie mistakes. The good will have to outweigh the bad in above the neck play where we see more varsity performances and less head scratching moments where they look like hot garbage. Primarily keeping Ben standing and healthy. I think we will see some initial rocky road performances. Hopefully not to the point where it negatively produces outcomes.

It's been a while since I've written an article. I can't remember a year with so many rookie starters. Plus we have a staring punter!

Nice article Cope, thank you.

I was going to mention the rookie punter, did you leave him out for any reason?

I'm rooting for all the rookies to perform well and make all question(s) go away. Sometimes I wonder if to much is being put on Najee Harris' shoulder as to comparisons and expectation. I see good things from him but also think we need to see him play before we put the mountain in front of him.

I'm concerned about both Green & Moore on the OL. Should Green need replaced I think Hausennhouserishnobber can come in but I don't think Moore's replacement wouldn't be with out som drop off. More pressure for MOORE to be successful and I hope best for the two.

Again nice read

Salute the nation

To be honest, other than this potentially being Ben’s finale, this is a great year for a rebuilt Oline… yeah they might take lumps early… or rather Ben may, but overall if they can find two long term starters at oline thats sets a great foundation for the next half decade at least…

if they get three or more positions solidified it lets us throw a ton of draft capital at the qb position if we have to

I mean on offense the line is the only true question mark

even if they lose juju or Washington after this season, thats one wr needed… and honestly you are looking for a three or four guy there…

they best hope Harris isn’t a bust, but they have a good stable of Abs

they seem to have found a potential long term starter at te…

On D the olb position and Ilb position are at least top heavy… there isn’t a high priority draft spot needed for the next few years it would seem

depending on if loudermilk, Davis, and buggs are actually developing as well as they seem to be, the Dline replacements honestly might already be on this team

safety might need a premium add as early as next year…

and id rather them sign and trade for corners, not draft them…

so really you have ample draft capital to go up and get a top qb if the two on your roster don’t pan out as long as you don’t have to throw multiple firsts or seconds at the oline

Yes, I specifically left PH3 off of this article for 2 reasons. 1) I wanted to concentrate on the offense, and 2) also the fact that the first 4 picks in this year's draft are now starters. I was trying to find a way to fit him in, but the article didn't flow with the insertion.

Still amazing having 5 rookie starters from one draft!!

Yes, I specifically left PH3 off of this article for 2 reasons. 1) I wanted to concentrate on the offense, and 2) also the fact that the first 4 picks in this year's draft are now starters. I was trying to find a way to fit him in, but the article didn't flow with the insertion.

Still amazing having 5 rookie starters from one draft!!

Thanks for the explaination Cope and I see your flow analogy.

A-N-D

Yes it is quite a deal with the rookies number of starters. The perfect storm to develope to this.

Salute the nation

Thanks for the explaination Cope and I see your flow analogy.

A-N-D

Yes it is quite a deal with the rookies number of starters. The perfect storm to develope to this.

Salute the nation
And the Starters are all starting for different reasons:

1. Najee was the heir to Conner, drafted in the first to be a starter
2. Muth was named a co-starter with our starter from last year Ebron
3. Green out performed everyone in front of him and earned his start
4. Moore had injuries ahead of him that thrust him into the starting role.

Moore had an injury assist sure. But it was interesting to hear Tomlin say that his floor was higher than he anticipated. In the draft process being deep at T it was fortunate he was available. So much talent there to sort out for GMs. With some struggling of picks ahead of Moore once again Tombert is looking pretty good.

Moore had an injury assist sure. But it was interesting to hear Tomlin say that his floor was higher than he anticipated. In the draft process being deep at T it was fortunate he was available. So much talent there to sort out for GMs. With some struggling of picks ahead of Moore once again Tombert is looking pretty good.

I would also like to ADD that Moore didn't just acheive this starting role by injury only but by hard work and seperating himself in ability so much so that they had him slotted as going to be swing tackle for either side. Also I'd lay odds he would have surplanted Oakofor by wee 8 if not sooner. I'm just saying MOORE made his fate as much as injury help included.

Salute the nation

as bad as the OL was last season, seeing two rookie starters is still surprising, but not a bad thing at all

Freiermuth really looks like a find. The kid has good body control for a big guy

Najee...meh...he just might make all the difference in the offense this season. If he can make defenses respect the run and take some short crossing routes around the outside for nice gains, this offense could be pretty damn solid

If the four rookie starters on offense pan out as solid contributers, Colbert and Tomlin really deserve a ton of credit. Three of last year's first four picks, Claypool, Highsmith and Dotson are starting with high expectations. Then consider we didn't have a first round pick last season but instead traded it for a young all pro in Fitzpatrick. Finally we picked up Pierre as an undrafted free agent last year who very well could be starting sooner than later at CB.

And let's not forget PH3 and Loudermilk lol.

That is some solid to extraordinary rebuilding on the fly. Kudos to everyone involved in the draft process of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

as bad as the OL was last season, seeing two rookie starters is still surprising, but not a bad thing at all

Freiermuth really looks like a find. The kid has good body control for a big guy

Najee...meh...he just might make all the difference in the offense this season. If he can make defenses respect the run and take some short crossing routes around the outside for nice gains, this offense could be pretty damn solid

All great points Coolie and one must remeber that these rookies are the best they have on the team and ready to play. What "VET" player would be an upgrade? (none)

Salute the nation

If the four rookie starters on offense pan out as solid contributers, Colbert and Tomlin really deserve a ton of credit. Three of last year's first four picks, Claypool, Highsmith and Dotson are starting with high expectations. Then consider we didn't have a first round pick last season but instead traded it for a young all pro in Fitzpatrick. Finally we picked up Pierre as an undrafted free agent last year who very well could be starting sooner than later at CB.

And let's not forget PH3 and Loudermilk lol.

That is some solid to extraordinary rebuilding on the fly. Kudos to everyone involved in the draft process of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Bringing up Loudermilk should be a bannable offense!!!!

Lolz...

Got LouderMILK?