• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Russia to deny us to international space station

xjx

Reaction score
logoUPrivacy and cookiesSubscribeRegisterLog in

Telegraph.co.uk

Wednesday 14 May 2014
Home
News
World
Sport
Finance
Comment
Culture
Travel
Life
Women
Fashion
Luxury
Tech
Cars
Dating Offers
USA
Asia
China
Europe
Middle East
Australasia
Africa
South America
Central Asia
Expat
France
Francois Hollande
Germany
Angela Merkel
Russia
Vladimir Putin
Greece
Spain
Italy
HOME»NEWS»WORLD NEWS»EUROPE»RUSSIA
Russia to ban US from using Space Station over Ukraine sanctions
In retaliation for imposing sanctions, Russia will also bar its rocket engines from launching US military satellites
From left: Steve Swanson from the US and Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev from Russia before the launch
From left: Steve Swanson from the US and Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev from Russia before the launch Photo: Camera Press/Ria Novosti
Reuters7:56PM BST 13 May 2014
Russia is to deny the US future use of the International Space Station beyond 2020 and will also bar its rocket engines from launching US military satellites as it hits back at American sanctions imposed over Ukraine crisis.
Russia’s deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin announced a series of punitive measures on Tuesday against the US in response to sanctions imposed after Russia annexed Crimea.
The two countries have long cooperated closely on space exploration despite their clashes in foreign policy.
The Space Station is manned by both American and Russian crew, but the only way to reach it is by using Russia’s Soyuz spacecraft.
The US is keen to keep the $100 billion (£600) ISS flying until at least 2024, four years beyond its original target.
Related Articles
US and Russia put differences aside for Nasa mission 26 Mar 2014
Russia charges Nasa astronauts $70m per seat 01 May 2013
Nasa finds mysterious hurricane on Saturn 30 Apr 2013
Damaged spacecraft docks with space station 26 Apr 2013
Taste of Moscow: a city food revolution RBTH
At a time when Moscow is struggling to reform its accident-plagued space programme, Mr Rogozin said US plans to deny export licences for some high-technology items were a blow to Russian industry. “These sanctions are out of place and inappropriate,” Mr Rogozin said. “We have enough of our own problems.”
Moscow’s response would affect NK-33 and RD-180 engines which Russia supplies to the US, Mr Rogozin said. “We are ready to deliver these engines but on one condition that they will not be used to launch military satellites,” he said.
RD-180 engines are used to boost Atlas 5 rockets manufactured by United Launch Alliance, a partnership of Lockheed Martin and Boeing that holds a virtual monopoly on launching U.S. military satellites.
Mr Rogozin said Moscow was planning "strategic changes" in its space industry after 2020 and aims to use money and "intellectual resources" that now go to the space station for a "a project with more prospects".
He suggested Russia could use the station without the United States, saying: "The Russian segment can exist independently from the American one. The U.S. one cannot."
The US space agency NASA is working with companies to develop space taxis with the goal of restoring US transport to the station by 2017, but the United States currently pays Russia more than $60 million per person to fly its astronauts up.
Mr Rogozin said Russia will suspend the operation of 11 GPS sites on its territory from June and seek talks with Washington on opening similar sites in the United States for Russia's own satellite navigation system, Glonass.
He threatened the permanent closure of the GPS sites in Russia if that is not agreed by September.
He said the suspension of the sites would not affect everyday operations of the GPS system in Russia, where it is used by millions of Russians for navigation on their smartphones and in their cars.
The upheaval in Ukraine - where the United States says Russia is backing separatists and the Kremlin accuses Washington of helping protesters to topple a Moscow-friendly president in February, has led to the worst East-West crisis since the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.
In addition to the hi-tech sector sanctions, the US has imposed visa bans and assets freezes on officials and lawmakers and targeted companies with links to President Vladimir Putin. The European Union has also imposed sanctions.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said earlier on Tuesday that the latest EU measures were an "exhausted, trite approach" that would only deepen discord and hamper efforts to defuse the crisis in Ukraine.

Facebook
Twitter

Email
LinkedIn

Russia
News »
World News »
Europe »
North America »
USA »
In Russia

Freeze frame
Russian servicemen march during the Victory Day Parade in Moscow's Red Square. Russia celebrates the 1945 victory over Nazi Germany during World War Two on May 9
Red Army on Red Square
A collumn of Ukrainian men riding on Armoured Personnel Carriers is blocked by pro-Russian activists in Kramatorsk
Ukraine on brink of war
Ukraine timeline in pictures
In pics: Ukraine timeline
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Moscow reserves the right to use all means to protect Russians in Ukraine as U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was on his way to Kiev. Tensions remained high in the strategic Ukrainian peninsula of Crimea with troops loyal to Moscow firing warning shots to ward off protesting Ukrainian soldiers
Ukraine airbase standoff

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

More from the web
Inside Matt Damon's Mega-Estate -- As He Puts It Up For Sale
Inside Matt Damon's Mega-Estate -- As He Puts It Up For Sale
Lonny Magazine
The 5 Space Movies Better than &quotGravity"
The 5 Space Movies Better than "Gravity"
Best Movies by Farr
Sarah Silverman: 'I'm the Poorest Famous Person in the World'
Sarah Silverman: 'I'm the Poorest Famous Person in the World'
Rolling Stone
Mrs. Obama Discovers Family of White Ancestors
Mrs. Obama Discovers Family of White Ancestors
Ancestry.com
More from The Telegraph
Portugal 'land grab' laws: meet the families who could lose homes
Portugal 'land grab' laws: meet the families who could lose homes
13 May 2014 Max Clifford's wife to divorce him after sex convictions
Max Clifford's wife to divorce him after sex convictions
11 May 2014 Vladimir Putin could drive an army through the gaps in Britain's defences
Vladimir Putin could drive an army through the gaps in Britain's…
09 May 2014 Duke of Cambridge launches football truce memorial competition
Duke of Cambridge launches football truce memorial competition
09 May 2014
what's this?
Read More Europe News
Explosion in Turkish mine kills dozens
Turkey mine accident
Several miners are reported to have been killed after an explosion and a fire at a coal mine in western Turkey
From left: Steve Swanson from the US and Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev from Russia before the launch
In retaliation for imposing sanctions, Russia will also bar its rocket engines from launching US military satellites
Rapid rise of forests changes the landscape for Italians
Trees growing on agricultural land in Molise
Abandonment of farm land has seen forested areas boom
Ukraine army's bloodiest day as seven soldiers killed
Ukrainian soldiers stand guard at a checkpoint not far from Slavyansk
Eight injured as pro-Russian rebels stage attack near Slavyansk
Hundreds of miners trapped after explosion in Turkish coal mine
A rescued miner surrounded by relatives, medics and other miners
Scores feared dead and up to 400 miners trapped after electrical fire
Borgen star auditions to be new Bond girl
Danish actress Birgitte Hjort Sorensen
Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, best known for playing journalist Katrine Fønsmark in Danish drama Borgen, has auditioned for a role as the new 'James Bond girl'
World leaders on the move

Jet-setting global leaders
Freeze frame

Ice diving in the Russian Arctic by photographer Franco Banfi
EU elections 2014: Why Planet EU is stranger than fiction
An artists impression of the meeting room for EU leaders
Gravy trains, travelling circuses and castles in the sand – Bruno Waterfield looks at life inside Planet EU, and explains some of the public resentment of the "Brussels Bubble"
EU increases Russian sanctions
An armed man patrols at the airport in Simferopol
Video
EU Delegation to Russia Head Vygaudas Usackas discusses the latest round of sanctions against Russia and the possibility of harsher ones to follow
Ads By Google
Lumosity Brain Games
Challenge memory and attention with scientific brain games.
www.lumosity.com
New Obama law-first look
Devastating new currency law goes into effect July 1st, 2014.
www.endofamerica.com
New Nissans From $11,990
Dealers Are Slashing Prices! Everything Must Go.
reply.com/Nissan

More From The Web »

More From The Web

News Most Viewed
TODAY
PAST WEEK
PAST MONTH
Oscar Pistorius murder trial: May 13 as it happened
Tories ahead in the polls: deep down, every Labour MP knows Miliband is heading for defeat
Watch live: Oscar Pistorius murder trial
Labour`s vanishing poll lead could be the beginning of the end for Ed

Buster

Reaction score
They'll be sorry they did that!

Oh...wait...we don't scare anyone anymore.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh.

Its a hole in the ground where we throw money anyway.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
They really caught us napping.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Way to cut and paste, brah!

xjx

Reaction score
Cell 0 hone style. It's the content that matters. But go ahead and complain mister catholic schoolboy perfectguy.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Meh.

Its a hole in the ground where we throw money anyway.
Cutting back on NASA is the one thing where I agree with Bomma.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Not me. Everyone will regret it when Russia and China dominate space. This is an early illustration. As soon as we get an administration in there that realizes it isn't NASA's mission to boost Muslim self-esteem and propagate bogus global warming crap, we've got some catching up to do.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I get where you're coming from but I don't think the Chinese and the Rooskies will be able to afford to keep it up. WSJ had a good article last week about all the human capital that Russia is losing and the Chinese are going to eventually figure out that spending money in space isn't bringing them a good enough ROI.

As soon as we get an administration in there that realizes it isn't NASA's mission to boost Muslim self-esteem and propagate bogus global warming crap, we've got some catching up to do.
Yeah, that was comedy gold.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i see the ISS as a significant investment in the future of mankind.
believe it or not, but the planet as we know it is changing. at some point, fossil fuels will be a thing of the past, as those are not being replenished at the same ratio as they're being extracted and used. an alternate form of energy is going to need to be found. at some point we'll be colonizing other planets.

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
I don't know if planet colonization is ever going to happen. People assume there is some magic fuel somewhere but even if there were, space exploration is close to impossible because of the dynamics of light speed and the vastness of space.

However, there needs to be a U.S space program because of all the things that has brought us. Even if it is out sourced to private companies it needs to be done.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
believe it or not, but the planet as we know it is changing. at some point, fossil fuels will be a thing of the past, as those are not being replenished at the same ratio as they're being extracted and used. an alternate form of energy is going to need to be found. at some point we'll be colonizing other planets.
Never happen because we won't have the energy sources or the money to do it. I don't think we'll run out of fossil fuels either but I could live in FL without A/C easier than I could live in PA without heat and I'll be down there with you in two years or so.

Lunar

220, 221 What ever it takes.
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

SDS wants to colonize uranus.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
They sure do sound like a geo political foe. Good thing we know they aren't.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They sure do sound like a geo political foe. Good thing we know they aren't.

you goddamn racist *******. How dare you imply that Dear Leader is wrong?! I spit at you and your very existence.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
****'em.

saves our people dying in that hunk of space debris.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
Nasa isn't the only one shooting stuff into Space, check the budgets....

the air force and I think the navy both have their own gig....I suspect the 3 letters bunch has their own roman candle show too.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well we need to continue to find our private companies like space X and others. I think we need to continue space exploration as well.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I would much rather see NASA get money than a bunch of welfare bums. At least NASA gave us some good inventions / technology. I am sure there are billions of dollars wasted elsewhere as well. As for Russia who knows what is going on. I think something in Putin snapped and he is losing his mind. Seems like they have minimal gain and a lot to lose by pissing off the rest of the world.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
However, there needs to be a U.S space program because of all the things that has brought us. Even if it is out sourced to private companies it needs to be done.

What are you some kind free enterprise, capitalist freak?

I would much rather see NASA get money than a bunch of welfare bums. At least NASA gave us some good inventions / technology. I am sure there are billions of dollars wasted elsewhere as well. As for Russia who knows what is going on. I think something in Putin snapped and he is losing his mind. Seems like they have minimal gain and a lot to lose by pissing off the rest of the world.

Hasn't hurt his hockey game. Dude is a superstar!