• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Season Autopsy - Soft and Stupid

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers are the most talented team in the NFL and should have won the Super Bowl. Let's start with that. After seeing every team play, that's not an exaggeration.

Before this goes further, i want to stress that this is not a reaction to a single game. This is a reaction to what is a pattern over multiple seasons.

Look at how many points the steelers scored on the best defense in the NFL. The defense only needs to be barely competent to win games with this offense.

What we see are the same mistakes repeated over and over again. The Pats defense was awful for a few weeks, blowing coverages and making mental mistakes. That only lasted a few games. They lack talent on defense so they still give up yards and points but you have to earn it. They don't give up cheap plays very often.

The Pats don't have anywhere near the talent the steelers have on defense, yet they are able to put together a defense that is good enough to support their offense and win. Players make repeat mistakes, they don't play. Jamie Collins is a very talented LB who made mistakes, The Pats shipped him to Cleveland.

When you have repeat mistakes, there are 2 possible reasons. The coaching is bad or the player is stupid. I think with the steelers, it's a combination of both. When the pats conclude a player is stupid, they move on.

You have to question the coaching when the same mistakes happen over and over. The first few mistakes are on the player. But when it keeps happening, that's coaching.

The Steelers are not a smart team in coaching nor do they have many smart players.

The most infuriating aspect is their constant belief that they can simply "flip the switch" and win games with short spurts of effort. This pattern repeats itself far too often. They just happen to have enough raw talent that they get away with it often.

The worst part of it is that the coaches seem to be fine with it. Play like **** for 40 minutes, play great for 20 and pull out a win and the coaches seem annoyed to be questioned about what went wrong. Hey we won, didn't we?

Where is the leadership on this team? Ben is Mr Passive Aggressive and does not appear to be a leader. On defense, MItchell seems to be a leader which is not a good thing.

Keith Butler - sorry, but he's in over his head, I'm picturing the clock in his car flashing 12:00 with a pocket watch duct taped next to it on the dash. Does this guy even watch game film?

Seems he didn't watch any Jax film because we played them like Bortles was Tom Brady. Yeah, let's not blitz this guy and let his check downs be wide open. A QB who has no confidence and struggles to complete passes downfield. Let's give him the easy throws and take away the tough ones.

Todd Haley - you have 2 weeks to gameplan against a top pass defense that has tons of speed but has trouble stopping runs up the middle because they are undersized. Let's come out in 5 wide. Let's keep pitching it outside.

How did the steelers score points today? Because the top talents made incredible plays. Incredible catches by AB and Bell in the endzone. Could have just as easily scored about 14 points if not for incredible individual plays.

Haley does nothing to help this offense.

Mike Tomlin - He runs a loose ship. He loves to say the standard is the standard. Apparently his only standard is if they win. They can play like complete **** but if they somehow win with some last second craziness, the standard is met. On to next week. He has no idea how to manage a clock. He routinely butchers in game decisions.

Pouncey and Decastro - you grade out technically, but hit the ******* weight room. Maybe our OC feels he has to pitch it outside or chuck it 40 yards on 4th and inches because he knows you 2 lightweights can't move anybody.

Mike Mitchell - the poster child for everything wrong with this team. He has ability but makes mistakes over and over and over. Then he's gonna talk **** like he's some hall of famer, like anybody in this league thinks he's anything but a subpar Safety who takes the cheese every time. What's worse, his self satisfied, false bravado rubs off on others. I've seen enough of his act. Cut this guy tomorrow, mail him his stuff.

Ryan Shazier / Inside LB - you have to assume Shazier will never play again. If he does, great. But in terms of the offseason, you have to assume he's done. This must be a priority position this offseason. Vince Williams is just a guy. Matakevich might be a good wingman if he plays alongside a stud like Shazier.

Hargrave - I like him as a pass rusher, but he's not a run stuffer, This team needs real NT. So what if he'd only play in certain situations. What situations would those be? Short yardage and goalline. AKA, the most important plays in the game.

Burns and Davis - Both show tons of promise but still make mistakes. These 2 along with Sutton should be the core of a rebuilt secondary. Are they? The answer is maybe. Neither has shown enough that you would not draft a CB or S with a top pick if there's one sitting there.

Lev Bell and the RB situation - they spent a significant pick on Conner as a backup and possible heir apparent. It was disappointing that he was such a poor blocker that he could barely play. Now factor in a major knee injury and RB is a question. If they can't keep Bell, then they may need to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder here.

Great post, hard to disagree with any of your points !!!!

and Tomlin let them run their mouths

Jaguars motivated by a lack of respect from Steelers

"They said they were gonna be in Boston. So I guess they are gonna be in Boston watching us. We'll send them Jags jerseys so they can support us."

AJ Bouye on Mike Mitchell: "He doesn’t really do much over there, I guess, except for talk. So he said we’re going to know his name, I still don't remember his name. I know its Mike something. He’ll be watching us next week."

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...vated-by-a-lack-of-respect-from-the-steelers/

Jaguars unleash swagger, smack talk after beating Steelers

Multiple Jaguars players said they could sense mounting frustration from Pittsburgh.

"We almost fought them a couple of times," outside linebacker Lerentee McCray told USA Today Sports. "What's your mom say when you say something stupid? She put a bar of soap in your mouth, right? But we ain't your momma. We're your stepdad. We're going to hit you in the mouth."

DT Malik Jackson: “We came in here and socked them in the mouth. They can think about that the whole offseason…”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ash-swagger-smack-talk-after-beating-steelers

Yes great post,what is the standard, is it just to win the AFC North.because year after year this secondary & non coverage LB's can't cover the space they line up in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Steeler Nation mobile app

We need a defensive coordinator that understands you must adjust every game during the game. Watching film and not trying something different is not good coaching at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Great post Tape. I hope the front office makes coaching changes. If they keep Tomlin, Butler, Porter, Lake and Haley we can expect the same thing nrct year.

Bell may or may not be a steeler nect year. Conner is not the answer we need a good young rb.

We need a good backup wb.

We need linebackers. Dupree, Mstekevich, Williams, Moats are all 2nd team talent. Big upgrades needed here.

Mitchell stinks. This area needs immediate attention.

This team is a mess. We won because of Ben, Bell, Brown and juju doing amazing things. We lost because we don't have a good defense.

and Tomlin let them run their mouths

Jaguars motivated by a lack of respect from Steelers

"They said they were gonna be in Boston. So I guess they are gonna be in Boston watching us. We'll send them Jags jerseys so they can support us."

AJ Bouye on Mike Mitchell: "He doesn’t really do much over there, I guess, except for talk. So he said we’re going to know his name, I still don't remember his name. I know its Mike something. He’ll be watching us next week."

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...vated-by-a-lack-of-respect-from-the-steelers/

Jaguars unleash swagger, smack talk after beating Steelers

Multiple Jaguars players said they could sense mounting frustration from Pittsburgh.

"We almost fought them a couple of times," outside linebacker Lerentee McCray told USA Today Sports. "What's your mom say when you say something stupid? She put a bar of soap in your mouth, right? But we ain't your momma. We're your stepdad. We're going to hit you in the mouth."

DT Malik Jackson: “We came in here and socked them in the mouth. They can think about that the whole offseason…”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ash-swagger-smack-talk-after-beating-steelers

That great defense of theirs gave up 42 points 469 yards passing and 5 td passes. Color me unimpressed .Our defense sucked 3 points more than them. And our defense blows chunks. They're soft. Our OC is a ******* moron. I swear that guy is on the take. Tomlin needs to fire the OC and DC or fire himself. Another year wasted.

Agreed with every word. Soft, stupid, and arrogant - three words that describe this team and it’s downfall. All of which emanate from its “leaders” on the sideline

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

They definitely need to get another RB, Conner got hurt every game that he got over 2 carries.

Putting away the reasons I believe are tge problems which are just subjective and frankly guesses I would say this:
1. Nothing easy: everything the offense does is spectacular. It always has three or four big working pieces and looks amazing when it works. They just dont do enough simple things that get 7 yards on first down and set up the whole sequence. Very reminiscent of Marino and the Dolphins. Looks awesome. But in the crunch if everything is not perfect you got a problem.
2. Slow start. Now here I have a real opinion of the reason. But anyhow they either start flat or have an initial drive and then go flat for about a quarter.
3. When there is a turnover, there is a TD. Dont know why. Doesnt matter where on the field. If they turn the ball over its six coming up.
4. Not good enough up the middle. Obviously the loss of Shazier was tragic for him and a huge hole for the team. But they started 21 of the 22 opening day starters yesterday. You have to be able to schematically compensate for the loss of one better than that.

Spot-on, tape.

The Steelers are the most talented team in the NFL and should have won the Super Bowl. Let's start with that. After seeing every team play, that's not an exaggeration.

Before this goes further, i want to stress that this is not a reaction to a single game. This is a reaction to what is a pattern over multiple seasons.

Look at how many points the steelers scored on the best defense in the NFL. The defense only needs to be barely competent to win games with this offense.

What we see are the same mistakes repeated over and over again. The Pats defense was awful for a few weeks, blowing coverages and making mental mistakes. That only lasted a few games. They lack talent on defense so they still give up yards and points but you have to earn it. They don't give up cheap plays very often.

The Pats don't have anywhere near the talent the steelers have on defense, yet they are able to put together a defense that is good enough to support their offense and win. Players make repeat mistakes, they don't play. Jamie Collins is a very talented LB who made mistakes, The Pats shipped him to Cleveland.

When you have repeat mistakes, there are 2 possible reasons. The coaching is bad or the player is stupid. I think with the steelers, it's a combination of both. When the pats conclude a player is stupid, they move on.

You have to question the coaching when the same mistakes happen over and over. The first few mistakes are on the player. But when it keeps happening, that's coaching.

The Steelers are not a smart team in coaching nor do they have many smart players.

The most infuriating aspect is their constant belief that they can simply "flip the switch" and win games with short spurts of effort. This pattern repeats itself far too often. They just happen to have enough raw talent that they get away with it often.

The worst part of it is that the coaches seem to be fine with it. Play like **** for 40 minutes, play great for 20 and pull out a win and the coaches seem annoyed to be questioned about what went wrong. Hey we won, didn't we?

Where is the leadership on this team? Ben is Mr Passive Aggressive and does not appear to be a leader. On defense, MItchell seems to be a leader which is not a good thing.

Keith Butler - sorry, but he's in over his head, I'm picturing the clock in his car flashing 12:00 with a pocket watch duct taped next to it on the dash. Does this guy even watch game film?

Seems he didn't watch any Jax film because we played them like Bortles was Tom Brady. Yeah, let's not blitz this guy and let his check downs be wide open. A QB who has no confidence and struggles to complete passes downfield. Let's give him the easy throws and take away the tough ones.

Todd Haley - you have 2 weeks to gameplan against a top pass defense that has tons of speed but has trouble stopping runs up the middle because they are undersized. Let's come out in 5 wide. Let's keep pitching it outside.

How did the steelers score points today? Because the top talents made incredible plays. Incredible catches by AB and Bell in the endzone. Could have just as easily scored about 14 points if not for incredible individual plays.

Haley does nothing to help this offense.

Mike Tomlin - He runs a loose ship. He loves to say the standard is the standard. Apparently his only standard is if they win. They can play like complete **** but if they somehow win with some last second craziness, the standard is met. On to next week. He has no idea how to manage a clock. He routinely butchers in game decisions.

Pouncey and Decastro - you grade out technically, but hit the ******* weight room. Maybe our OC feels he has to pitch it outside or chuck it 40 yards on 4th and inches because he knows you 2 lightweights can't move anybody.

Mike Mitchell - the poster child for everything wrong with this team. He has ability but makes mistakes over and over and over. Then he's gonna talk **** like he's some hall of famer, like anybody in this league thinks he's anything but a subpar Safety who takes the cheese every time. What's worse, his self satisfied, false bravado rubs off on others. I've seen enough of his act. Cut this guy tomorrow, mail him his stuff.

Ryan Shazier / Inside LB - you have to assume Shazier will never play again. If he does, great. But in terms of the offseason, you have to assume he's done. This must be a priority position this offseason. Vince Williams is just a guy. Matakevich might be a good wingman if he plays alongside a stud like Shazier.

Hargrave - I like him as a pass rusher, but he's not a run stuffer, This team needs real NT. So what if he'd only play in certain situations. What situations would those be? Short yardage and goalline. AKA, the most important plays in the game.

Burns and Davis - Both show tons of promise but still make mistakes. These 2 along with Sutton should be the core of a rebuilt secondary. Are they? The answer is maybe. Neither has shown enough that you would not draft a CB or S with a top pick if there's one sitting there.

Lev Bell and the RB situation - they spent a significant pick on Conner as a backup and possible heir apparent. It was disappointing that he was such a poor blocker that he could barely play. Now factor in a major knee injury and RB is a question. If they can't keep Bell, then they may need to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder here.

Good read but I disagree with your first statement - this team is not the most talented team in the NFL, certainly not on defense. Even if they were, talent is as talent does. I'd like to think there will be a major shakeup next year but I'm going to assume the front office, which is as stupid as the coaching staff, will look at 13-3 and ticket sales and conclude that the team is good enough to sell tickets so no changes are necessary. Haley may go, but that's about it. I don't know how many years are left on Ben's contract but the sooner he retires the sooner Tomlin will be shown the door.

Pretty good assessment Tape.

Jags just cried that the Steelers talked all week and now they're talking about winning the Super Bowl. Defensive guys talking smack after allowing 42 points? They came into our house and smacked us twice, but come on, you allowed 42 points and are looking past the best team in the league yourselves now.