• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Selection Of Kenny Pickett Tells Steeler Nation That Steelers Are In Win Now Mode for 2022

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What. A. Doozy. Were you expecting Kenny Pickett‘s name to be called?

When the Pittsburgh Steelers became on the clock in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft, the board was pretty wide open for them. Zero quarterbacks were taken, players like Trent McDuffie and Jermaine Johnson were still available, and they could go any direction.

The Steelers ended up providing Steeler Nation with their first, 1st round quarterback since they drafted Ben Roethlisberger in Pickett.

Surprising to a lot of Steeler Nation, the team elected to pass on Malik Willis to select Pickett, even though Willis was the #1 QB on a lot of people’s boards. However, when the Steelers talk about their pick, it shouldn’t come as a surprise.

Steelers Quarterback Kenny Pickett Gets Emotional After Selection

In interviews after the pick was made, both Head Coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert had a chance to talk on it.

Tomlin made sure to mention Pickett’s “high floor” as well as his “anticipation and pro accuracy.” Both of those lead one to believe that the team views Pickett as someone who could contribute early in his career.

Kenny Pickett Mike Tomlin Kevin Colbert

Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert press conference after selecting QB Kenny Pickett. Credit: Pittsburgh Sports Live

He later went on to add even more comments that lead into that as well. Tomlin stated, “He is 24 years old, he is a mature young man. You do see maturity in his game, and I do think all of things are going to put him in position to compete.” After that comment, he was asked a follow up if Pickett will get a chance to start and this answer was the most direct. “He will be given a chance to compete, certainly.” said Tomlin.

Some will say that is just how coaches speak, but Tomlin never ever holds his punches and puts it all out in front of everyone.

If Tomlin’s comments weren’t enough, Colbert got in on the fun too adding in comments that lead to their belief in Pickett’s NFL readiness. He stated, “There is no panic in the young man, and that’s really exciting. I think he grew into, he was like a first year NFL player…

If that is a testament to how good they think he is and his ability to contribute in year one, and their thoughts on having a Super Bowl caliber roster, I do not know what is.

I personally had Pickett ranked as my 4th ranked quarterback, but I did mention how he was the most NFL ready as well. Most of the other quarterbacks needed to sit for a longer period of time before I believed they would be ready, but the Steelers didn’t necessarily need a day 1 starter having both Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph on the roster.

Overall, the selection of Pickett is definitely one that will be warm to the hearts for some of Steeler Nation due to being the hometown kid playing at the university of Pittsburgh. However, most did not want a QB at all in this draft, while others were hoping for a different member of this QB draft class.

Pickett is now a Steeler, and let the fairytale story begin!

Let us know what you think of the Steelers drafting Pickett below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..