• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should flag burning be illegal?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I go back and forth on this, on private land, I'll say yes. If you do it, you break a law and cap it at the misdemeanor level

On public land with a permit for fire, I'll say okay.

Some things are illegal to burn. Money for example. But flag burning can upset some, so the sensitive left might want to correctly adopt it as politically incorrect.

I say yes, as long as it is legal to punch the flag burner in the face.

I say yes, as long as it is legal to punch the flag burner in the face.

Despite the humor here, there's a real point.

We saw throughout the election cycle people with Trump signs - their signs - defending those signs by electrifying them, placing trip wires around them and so forth. People going after the Trump signs were a) trespassing, b) committing vandalism and/or c) theft. All chargeable offenses. The signs were the homeowners, but really also Donald Trump's and Mike Pence's signs. Regardless, it's illegal to go after those signs, and in public, to pull those signs down is a felony I believe.

Now that US flag is less protected than a political sign? I don't get it. That flag is MY flag, no matter where it flies. It's your flag too. Any time a person burns a flag, they are burning my flag and argument can be made that I have a right to protect that flag, just as I have a right to defend my Trump sign in my yard.

Let the ******** burn them. Flag making companies need to keep busy.

In reality, those flag burners should also give up any "rights" bestowed upon them by that flag and what it represents. At the minimum it should be legal to ***** slap them until they understand who they are offending.

Yes, flag burning should be illegal. It is not freedom of speech. Burning a flag is a violent act against the USA. It has nothing to do with speech. Sounds to me like the Supreme Court was legislating from the bench when they labeled burning the flag as speech.

A Trump Supreme Court can reverse that ruling.

Love to see the America hating left come running to defend flag burning

No. Flag burning should NOT be illegal. It's a freedom granted by our constitution. One which we should all in fact defend despite the fact we may or may not agree with the message. For example, if you make it illegal to burn the American flag then you're making it equally illegal to burn any OTHER country's flag. Unless of course you're just admitting your outright hypocrisy.

Now, can you burn somebody "Else's personal flag"? No. But your own flag that you bought, **** ya. It's yours. whatever douche bag. Make your political statement. That's your right. Obviously you don't get to come onto my yard, steal MY flag and burn it. That's theft and vandalism. Obviously a difference.

But you DO NOT **** with the Constitution. Soon as you do that, you're on the wrong side of the argument, period.

No. Flag burning should NOT be illegal. It's a freedom granted by our constitution. One which we should all in fact defend despite the fact we may or may not agree with the message. For example, if you make it illegal to burn the American flag then you're making it equally illegal to burn any OTHER country's flag. Unless of course you're just admitting your outright hypocrisy.

Now, can you burn somebody "Else's personal flag"? No. But your own flag that you bought, **** ya. It's yours. whatever douche bag. Make your political statement. That's your right. Obviously you don't get to come onto my yard, steal MY flag and burn it. That's theft and vandalism. Obviously a difference.

But you DO NOT **** with the Constitution. Soon as you do that, you're on the wrong side of the argument, period.

It once came down to a vote as the difference was just one vote!

Question to Wig, What about a fire hazard? Aren't flag burners breaking some other type of law, which could endanger others? I'd argue yes, but I'd like to read your take on this.

Wig Johnson is right!

I would add that if you are part of some protest and burning flags, seems like you are, very likely, violating some local ordinance for fires. I got no problem prosecuting that. Probably, just a fine, but, you broke the law, pay it.

The part that pisses me off if that we are told that burning the Koran is instigating something and offensive. Well, **** you, so is burning the flag.

Burn the Rainbow Flag and see how left defends that

12198dbbc49ef1b05b8e2ff5e2508a1aa8423cfa92a15e08c9861b9949c6092e.jpg

Why don't libs oppose flag burning as contributing to CO2 emissions and global warming?

Hildebeast was against flag burning before she was for it.

Flag burning is NOT in the constitution. It was voted on by the Supreme Court. Cross burning is still illegal. Isn't that the same thing? Can I burn your house down because I don't like you? Isn't that my freedom of speech? Burning something is not speech in any way shape or form. It is an act of violence. It is dangerous to the person doing it and anyone around them.

Flag burning is NOT in the constitution. It was voted on by the Supreme Court. Cross burning is still illegal. Isn't that the same thing? Can I burn your house down because I don't like you? Isn't that my freedom of speech? Burning something is not speech in any way shape or form. It is an act of violence. It is dangerous to the person doing it and anyone around them.

how can you equate to burning your own flag to burning down someone's house? one is yours, the other belongs to someone else. it IS against the law to burn down your own house, though.

I don't equate burning a flag to violence except to the point I might want to whip someone's *** for doing it.

The flag is a symbol. As such burning it is a political gesture. Therefore, it is interpreted clearly at least in my humble opinion as constitutionally protected as a freedom of speech.

Now, let me be clear. You can burn YOUR flag that YOU purchased. You can't burn MY flag. You can't burn BOB's flag. You obviously can't endanger people while making your protest. Do I think it's a ****** protest to make? Sure I do. But if you start "interpreting" constitutional amendments you have to decide where you'll stop. How do YOU interpret the right to bear arms? Are YOU in the militia? What does that mean exactly? What did it mean when the constitution was drafted and what does it mean today? Do you REALLY want to get into a pissing match over "interpretation"?

I thought not.

People have the right to express their freedom of speech regardless of how much it irritates me. That's actually something I'll defend for them even though I may disagree with what they're protesting or even how they choose to protest. As I said before, you don't **** with the Constitution.

People have the right to express their freedom of speech regardless of how much it irritates me. That's actually something I'll defend for them even though I may disagree with what they're protesting or even how they choose to protest. As I said before, you don't **** with the Constitution.

Meh, it's freedom of speech. There is no law against being an idiot. Just the same, if you hate this country then friggen' move somewhere else. We don't shoot people who try to leave.

In fact, Police officers in many many cities are only too happy to buy you a bus ticket. ;-)

And they were doing that DECADES ago all you sad little snowflakes.

The flag is a symbol. As such burning it is a political gesture. Therefore, it is interpreted clearly at least in my humble opinion as constitutionally protected as a freedom of speech.

Now, let me be clear. You can burn YOUR flag that YOU purchased. You can't burn MY flag. You can't burn BOB's flag. You obviously can't endanger people while making your protest. Do I think it's a ****** protest to make? Sure I do. But if you start "interpreting" constitutional amendments you have to decide where you'll stop. How do YOU interpret the right to bear arms? Are YOU in the militia? What does that mean exactly? What did it mean when the constitution was drafted and what does it mean today? Do you REALLY want to get into a pissing match over "interpretation"?

I thought not.

Questions to Wig, What about a fire hazard? Aren't flag burners breaking some other type of law, which could endanger others? I'd argue yes, but I'd like to read your take on this.

The flag is a symbol, but where does it stop. There are symbols for religions, are you okay with them being burned too?

how can you equate to burning your own flag to burning down someone's house? one is yours, the other belongs to someone else. it IS against the law to burn down your own house, though.

I don't equate burning a flag to violence except to the point I might want to whip someone's *** for doing it.
can we burn an ISIS flag this weekend?

Cross burning is illegal on your own private property? Or it's just illegal to burn a cross on someone else's property?.... as was done as an intimidation tactic.

You cannot burn down someone's house just as you can't burn someone else's flag. That should be obvious.

I bet if groups of folks starting burning *** flags and korans all hell would break loose. They'd call it a hate crime. I'd call it a protest against abomination and a false god.

If you hate the country that much that much maybe it's a good idea to move on to a nation who fits your ideals better.

Cross burning is illegal on your own private property? Or it's just illegal to burn a cross on someone else's property?.... as was done as an intimidation tactic.

I almost typed something similar. I wondered if the first question is accurate. I'd expect that a prosecution would be attempted.

If you hate the country that much that much maybe it's a good idea to move on to a nation who fits your ideals better.
That's the dreadful irony. There aren't too many places that will actually let you get away with this kind of tom-foolery.

You cannot burn down someone's house just as you can't burn someone else's flag. That should be obvious.

The arson laws alone could seriously limit flag burning. Simply brilliant!

Burning the US flag should be illegal. No need to state any reason other than these entitled leftist scumbags promote hate/violence/division in their own country