• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should Hubbard be on this team?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Hubbard had another poor preseason.

He gave up 3.5 sacks and was flagged for a penalty. In case you're wondering 2nd place only gave up 1 sack and 5 players are listed.

The way I see it, Hubbard's our 4th best tackle and at best 4th best guard. The Hawkins injury likely helped him make the team.

But what's Hubbard's real value? I do not think he'll dress on game days if our top three tackles are healthy and wonder if the team would be better off keeping an extra player at OLB, or CB.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Hubbard had another poor preseason.

He gave up 3.5 sacks and was flagged for a penalty. In case you're wondering 2nd place only gave up 1 sack and 5 players are listed.

The way I see it, Hubbard's our 4th best tackle and at best 4th best guard. The Hawkins injury likely helped him make the team.

But what's Hubbard's real value? I do not think he'll dress on game days if our top three tackles are healthy and wonder if the team would be better off keeping an extra player at OLB, or CB.

If Hubbard is thankful for Hawkins injury, then I guess you should be grateful for Poop's posts here, in that similar bottom of the totem pole logic.

Spike

Reaction score
He's cheap OL back-up insurance that knows the system, in case you haven't noticed, our OL has a tendency to get hurt a lot.

Next question

Last edited:

ZACKB

Reaction score
There are probably better OL players out there and probably better OLB depth guys we could sign. the FO loves this guy.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Hubbard's knowledge of the system keeps him on the team. Personally I think he shouldn't be in the 53 roster

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
He's cheap OL back-up insurance that knows the system, in case you haven't noticed, our OL has a tendency to get hurt a lot.

Next question

Cheap? Sure. Insurance? More like bad insurance. If Hubbard has to play in a regular-season game, he'll be abused. He's not the next man up at tackle or Guard. As for the OL getting hurt a lot, I think you referring to one person. The other starting 4 have been pretty durable.

Spike

Reaction score
I can't get too concerned about back-up 3rd string centers, so if you hate the guy that much, call Rooney.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps he's holding a roster spot for Dupree?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Said in another thread I would rather bring in a experienced capable T.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Who and how much?

Team Cap Space: $3,210,409

When we cut that scrub who can play six positions, good at none

and then extend Decastro that would give us a little extra wiggle room.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
He's a body that knows the snap count and can "technically" play every spot on the line. He can't play any of them very well but he can play them. He costs nothing to have so Finney and Hawkins might take away his spot next year but this year with Hawkins on IR he gets a spot.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the only reason Hubbard gets a hat is his versatility. Harris backs up the tackle spots, Wallace backs up the interior and Hubbard can fill any of the 5 if necessary. How well he does it is the problem but he is more versatile than Finney..

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think the only reason Hubbard gets a hat is his versatility. Harris backs up the tackle spots, Wallace backs up the interior and Hubbard can fill any of the 5 if necessary. How well he does it is the problem but he is more versatile than Finney..

This is exactly why he is on the team.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The guy sucks but I don't know who might be available to bring, the Schwartz?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
If he could play all 5 positions and be good at them all I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to afford him.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps Hubbard has some compromising photos of Tomlin, along with his amazing ability to play ****** at every line position.