• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should NFL stadiums be funded by taxpayers?

Troglodyte

Reaction score
What say you?

San Diego voted down a 4% increase on hotels to build a new stadium.

Opponents claim there is not an economic benefit or the the tax revenue could be spent on something that would generate more of an economic benefit.

I can see both sides of the argument and think it can vary greatly depending on the city or region. I'm sure beer distributors, grocery stores, hotels and restaurants in Pittsburgh experience more sales due to Steelers games, but the question is would that money ultimately be spent elsewhere if city didn't have an NFL team?

Small percent. Sure. I get ****** on taxes going up on my beer, gas, pop out here in philly, ...etc...etc and I have no say or benefit from it. So if I get to keep the team I love I would mind my taxes going to something like that. But the owner and the NFL should front the majority of the costs. **** them both. They have more loot than they know what to do with.

Only if it is local tax voted on by the people during a general election. Too many times I've seen rate increases, for various reasons, during special elections designed, IMO, such that turnout is low.

even then, I wouldn't want it to be more than a 50% match on what the owners put up and owners on the hook for the same % of maintenance.

My entertainment dollars go toward sports so it's important to me. I can see where others would disagree. No matter your opinion, there is no reason why the league and owner shouldn't kick in more to build a stadium. Then again, I guess they're rich for a reason.

No they should not.

Why not? This tax was on hotels meaning visitors. So it sounds like the residents of San Diego wouldn't be hurt. Only those coming to enjoy what the city has to offer. I think Las Vegas is talking about doing the same thing. You know when we are talking about building a new stadium for over a billion dollars, well how many teams can afford it?

That's up to the voters

You know when we are talking about building a new stadium for over a billion dollars, well how many teams can afford it?

I think any NFL team can afford it, it would just need to be financed.

Absolutely not. A much larger percentage of taxpayers are not sports fans. Why should they pay? Yes, I get they use the venues for other events, but again, most are sports related.

No, teams make enough money on their own to pay for it.
Put another way, if people want to vote on it and pay a tax to fund it, then fine.
On the other hand, if the team pays for their own stadium then there shouldn't be any taxes of any kind on tickets.