• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

State knows your kids' health better than you do - another Steeltime special!

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/08/16/kids-soda-restaurants/

Milk Or Water: California Bill Aims To Curb Kids’ Soda Drinking At Restaurants
By Adrienne Moore
August 16, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Filed Under:Sacramento, SB1192 (2018)

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A new state bill would give kids two options with their meals at restaurants—water or milk.

Senate Bill 1192 would make water or milk the default drink for kids meals in a push to reduce obesity and access to sugary drinks for children.

The bill passed the Assembly and is on its way to Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk. If he signs it, California would be the first state in the nation to have such a law.

No one gets in the way of Isaiah Palacios and his soda.

“I need my root beer, I need my Fanta, I need my Sprite,” he said.

But California lawmakers could make that sugary fix harder to get as a new effort to impact the eating habits of children gains momentum at the state Capitol.

“Cancer is fought in the halls of government, not just in the halls of the hospital,” said Stephanie Winn with the American Cancer Society.

Her group is one of many supporting the bill that would force restaurants to automatically serve water or milk with kids meals instead of juice or soda. She argues children’s meals shouldn’t come with a side order of diseases.

“Some of these kids are drinking up to three sodas a day. This is setting them up for tremendous cancer risks down the road. Because now we know that 20 percent of all cancers are tied to being overweight,” she said.

The bill would still allow parents to order alternatives; they would just have to ask for it.

It is more than sugary drinks making kids fat. The fact that they are completely sedentary, mostly left to their own devices and eating a diet filled with processed foods has a lot to do with it. Parents don't cook anymore. They just toss their kids some hot pockets or some **** out of a box or fast food.

While I am opposed to the government doing **** like this, if parents would actually parent, the state wouldn't have a reason to consider something like this, much less pass a bill and make it a law. People are doing this stupid **** to themselves.

The government always knows best. Look at things like marijuana. No one has actually proved there is anything wrong with it yet the government knows you don't need it.

It is more than sugary drinks making kids fat. The fact that they are completely sedentary, mostly left to their own devices and eating a diet filled with processed foods has a lot to do with it. Parents don't cook anymore. They just toss their kids some hot pockets or some **** out of a box or fast food.

While I am opposed to the government doing **** like this, if parents would actually parent, the state wouldn't have a reason to consider something like this, much less pass a bill and make it a law. People are doing this stupid **** to themselves.

Should the state really be involved with the **** parents let kids put into their body though? Seems like a slippery slope. I guess if they want to get around it, their lazy ***** just have to stay home. But I agree 100% with your first sentence.

Agree. We had sodas when I was a kid and there was only one overweight kid in our grade school class - and it was noticeable because of that, but then again we'd leave the house and play outside for 6-7 hrs. almost every day in the Summer and after school too when there weren't sports practices.

Should the state really be involved with the **** parents let kids put into their body though? Seems like a slippery slope. I guess if they want to get around it, their lazy ***** just have to stay home. But I agree 100% with your first sentence.

I don't think the state should be involved at all. If parents would parent and mind what their kids eat and drink before they get fat, there wouldn't be a problem, or at least not a huge obesity problem like there is now.

Politicians in California are looking for reasons to be the nanny. Unfortunately, their constituents give them a myriad of reasons.

It's not like kids, or adults for that matter, get fat on one or two sodas. It is a chronic problem. And soda is bad for you over the long term. I stopped drinking it about a month ago. Dropped about 10 pounds in that time frame.

I also stopped eating fatty processed **** and started making sure I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I exercise regularly now. The difference has been remarkable.

As CD stated, kids don't go out an play anymore. They sit at video games or at the TV or computer. We were out playing from mornig util after dark most days. Playing football, baseball, riding bikes, swimming, climbing trees. Always doing something. Kids don't do that **** anymore and that is an issue.

As CD stated, kids don't go out an play anymore. They sit at video games or at the TV or computer. We were out playing from mornig util after dark most days. Playing football, baseball, riding bikes, swimming, climbing trees. Always doing something. Kids don't do that **** anymore and that is an issue.

Truth. I graduated high school in 1979 and remember one fat kid in my class - one. Every day after school, we played the sport of the moment - softball on the nearby baseball field, football, basketball - until dark. Then we walked home.

Driven around by parents? Video games? Sitting on the couch? Yeah, no.

With my kids, we definitely drove them around. No doubt about that. But we drove them to gymnastics practice, diving practice, cheerleading practice and competitions (daughter), and to baseball practice, football practice, wrestling practice and games (son). Guess what? Both were fit as kids and are fit today.

Agree. We had sodas when I was a kid and there was only one overweight kid in our grade school class - and it was noticeable because of that, but then again we'd leave the house and play outside for 6-7 hrs. almost every day in the Summer and after school too when there weren't sports practices.

Truth. As some of you native Pittsburghers probably remember, there was a pop called "Cherikee Red" that was widely distributed around Western Pennsylvania and surrounding areas back in the day, and that **** was sugary as hell! I remember probably drinking at least one of those and then putting a big ol' chunk of "Big League Chew" in my mouth, but we were out and about all day long. We never stopped. And like has been mentioned, I hardly remember an overly obese kid in class.

Boy how things have changed.

Holy ****, and how can we forget Kool-Aid? Remember the old stuff before it was pre-mixed with sugar? You'd mix it with your own sugar (and not be shy with the sugar). They came out with some great flavors.

Truth. As some of you native Pittsburghers probably remember, there was a pop called "Cherikee Red" that was widely distributed around Western Pennsylvania and surrounding areas back in the day, and that **** was sugary as hell! I remember probably drinking at least one of those and then putting a big ol' chunk of "Big League Chew" in my mouth, but we were out and about all day long. We never stopped. And like has been mentioned, I hardly remember an overly obese kid in class.

Boy how things have changed.

I had Cherokee red last week... and I saw Big league Chew last time I picked up beer at Duffys beer distributors....

Red is still out there, didn't know that. That's kinda cool to hear. It's weird though because every time I come back to visit I don't see it nor do I see my relatives buying it.

What was that green concentrate syrup? Usually find a jug on the kitchen floor or pantry. 60s-70s..

Found it. Green bottle.

I had Cherokee red last week... and I saw Big league Chew last time I picked up beer at Duffys beer distributors....

Grandpa Joe's Candy, there's one in the Strip and one near me in Beaver. They have all the old classic stuff. Also bacon-flavored toothpaste and dental floss.

almost exactly what I was going to say. I overweight kid in entire class. and he wasn't really all that big. But even he was on a bike all day long. He grew into his weight and ended up being a pretty good football player. it is all about exercising which the average kid does not do.

almost exactly what I was going to say. I overweight kid in entire class. and he wasn't really all that big. But even he was on a bike all day long. He grew into his weight and ended up being a pretty good football player. it is all about exercising which the average kid does not do.
Great point. Even that overweight kid I mentioned ran around and played along with the rest of us all day.

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I heard on the radio this morning on my way to work that parents are actually asking doctors to prescribe play time for their kids, because they can't get their kids to go outside and play. If that is true, that may very well be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. And lately, I have heard plenty of ridiculous things.

i saw Tang is making a comeback too. That blend stuff is nasty

Charles Chips delivered in 5 lb. tin. Glass bottle milk half gallons on the front porch delivered by Don the milkman from Turners dairy. He'd let us ride with him summer's and we'd deliver the milk to neighbors' front porch. Paid us with Turners iced tea. Haha, good times.

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I heard on the radio this morning on my way to work that parents are actually asking doctors to prescribe play time for their kids, because they can't get their kids to go outside and play. If that is true, that may very well be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. And lately, I have heard plenty of ridiculous things.

I read recently that some parents are hiring Fortnite tutors. In case you aren't aware Fortnite is a video game that is all the rage with adolescent boys. It's played online in teams so if you're bad at it, no one wants to play with you. So people are hiring these tutors so little Johnny can be better at Fortnite.

I read recently that some parents are hiring Fortnite tutors. In case you aren't aware Fortnite is a video game that is all the rage with adolescent boys. It's played online in teams so if you're bad at it, no one wants to play with you. So people are hiring these tutors so little Johnny can be better at Fortnite.

Yeah it's getting completely out of hand. And I'm hearing about parents getting ridiculously high credit card charges from kids playing on these popular mobile game apps.