• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

State of the Oline

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

Ok So this is the steeler depth chart as posted over on espn.

Trai Turner was a 1 year contract and with the Addition of James Daniels, i think its safe to say Turner wont be back.
Funny thing, They put Kendrick Green as the 3rd string center.

As the guards / centers go i think we have plenty of experience and ability to hash out a decent quality middle 3. Leglue did well in his short time last year, could supplant dotson. IMO So competition is there .

The TACKLES are the conundrum.

Forgetting the rest of the available tackles as they are back ups for sure, we are left looking at Dan Moore and Chuks.

Is chuks adequate at RT? Dan moore can get better. He did ok. Not illustrious but serviceable.
So questions are
1 Who is the Better Left Tackle. ?
2. We know Dan Moore hasnt played RT, thats why chuks made the switch to RT last year
3. If we draft a tackle, Are we looking for a RT, or a LT.

IF dan moore did a good enough job last year and can make a sophmore leap. Maybe him and chuks can fight it out, and i draft a mauler at RT. Just doesnt feel good drafting a RT with the #1 pick.

we take Penning, put that mauling son of a ***** at LT and flip Moore to RT. Chuks can then be a bench player and first man in the rotation.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will lol) but I though last year when it was apparent Banner wasn't ready, they started off trying Moore at right tackle but switched him to LT because Okorafor was not gonna cut it. As Superman said, I'll take a tackle who can play LT if one falls and shove Moore to RT where I believe the Steelers originally envisioned him.

That ESPN chart also shows Layne ahead of Witherspoon as the number one LC. That chart also shows how woeful the depth is at inside and outside LB, safety, WR and DL.

we take Penning, put that mauling son of a ***** at LT and flip Moore to RT. Chuks can then be a bench player and first man in the rotation.

******* Aaaaaaa, if Penning is there it would be hard to not pull that trigger.

Salute the nation

Moore is much better than Chuks at both T positions. He can move back to RT but I still see him as our LT moving forward. Even though they signed Chuks, he still has to be on the hot seat. He just is not that good. If you can find someone better or if someone looks better in camp, Chuks rides the pine.

The Steelers had to have a bottom 5 offensive line last year, which wasn't a surprise given the minimal investment in improving it. I'm still not sure they put enough investment in this group and I'd be pretty happen if they improved to the 22-26 worst line range this year. Any better and they would've beat any of my expectations.

Moore - Played like a rookie thrown into the lineup too soon. Had moments where he looked like a solid starter and others where he was totally overmatched. Needs to clean up his pass protection because he has some pretty significant weaknesses in this area. Left tackle should still be in play if a quality option falls because I'm not sold he's the long-term answer here.

Dotson - Disappointing year two, but maybe with better play at center he'll fall into that average range.

Cole - Hard to say what we have here. He's had some success in the run blocking department and struggled in pass protection. Has bounced back and forth between a starting and backup role. Not the long-term answer, but I do think he should be better than past signings such as Mahan or Hartwig.

Daniels - Not an all-pro, but has the resume of an above average offensive linemen. The Steelers need him to be at his best and take a leadership role along the line.

Okorafor - Another below average starter who really should've been replaced if the Steelers actually wanted to maximize Harris' career. Right tackle isn't a premium position and if the right guy falls, I'd consider taking one in the second or third with an eye on replacing Okorafor in 2023.

Whatever the starting 5 ends up being just hope they improve and can give our RBs room to work.

The Steelers had to have a bottom 5 offensive line last year, which wasn't a surprise given the minimal investment in improving it. I'm still not sure they put enough investment in this group and I'd be pretty happen if they improved to the 22-26 worst line range this year. Any better and they would've beat any of my expectations.

Moore - Played like a rookie thrown into the lineup too soon. Had moments where he looked like a solid starter and others where he was totally overmatched. Needs to clean up his pass protection because he has some pretty significant weaknesses in this area. Left tackle should still be in play if a quality option falls because I'm not sold he's the long-term answer here.

Dotson - Disappointing year two, but maybe with better play at center he'll fall into that average range.

Cole - Hard to say what we have here. He's had some success in the run blocking department and struggled in pass protection. Has bounced back and forth between a starting and backup role. Not the long-term answer, but I do think he should be better than past signings such as Mahan or Hartwig.

Daniels - Not an all-pro, but has the resume of an above average offensive linemen. The Steelers need him to be at his best and take a leadership role along the line.

Okorafor - Another below average starter who really should've been replaced if the Steelers actually wanted to maximize Harris' career. Right tackle isn't a premium position and if the right guy falls, I'd consider taking one in the second or third with an eye on replacing Okorafor in 2023.
I think you open up that middle a little and it at least takes the offense out of the bottom tier. Still think RT is an option early in the draft depending on value. Or even G.

Great post by the OP by the way.!

I for one am hoping with the Edmonds deal it allows us "trench warfare" picks that start day one (Penning there ******* pull the trigger)..

We need a top tier DL middle but if DAVIS is gone I still could see a TOP TIER OT coming to the burgh.

Salute the nation

We need a road grader at RT, and okorafor is not that. That's why I made this thread. If we're going to be this run happy team,. How does it happen?

I think you open up that middle a little and it at least takes the offense out of the bottom tier. Still think RT is an option early in the draft depending on value. Or even G.
If the line is around 22-23, it will feel like night and day compared to last year. I still think Johnson would be a monster for the Steelers and a long-term building block on the offensive line. I just don't see them moving in that direction with the depth at the position (not that it's necessarily quality depth, just a lot of it).

so if Penning and Davis is there at 20 who do you take?

so if Penning and Davis is there at 20 who do you take?
I think the Steelers take Davis. They were at his pro day and they rarely draft outside of the P5 conferences. Ben Roethlisberger was the last non-P5 first rounder and Troy Edwards before that. I also don't think they're going to give up on Moore after one year.

I wish Davis fell to us, I remember Decastro falling to us after 20, that was a great feeling knowing we grabbed a future all pro.

If you have a guy like Joel Steed or Casey Hampton, it forces the the Ravens, Browns and others who want to pound the ball between the tackles to deviate. It makes a world of difference for Jack and Bush. I digress, Penning would be a nice addition if Davis is gone.

Adding Cole & Daniels were masterful moves by Colbert. Man, Dotson seems like the darkhorse. If he can put his head down and get to work, seems he could be an above-the-line starter inside, for years to come. Maybe the light finally gets switched on, and he avoids whatever's been causing some of the disconnect with coaches. We'll likely add an early round OT to the mix, then all of the sudden the OL begins rounding into form. Will be a great camp battle for the two OT spots. If the rook can nail down a starting spot, Chuks all of the sudden becomes a valuable commodity swing tackle. I think Cole is a big step up from Green, will be a calming, veteran presence at center. Green gets bumped to a backup role, has time to get stronger and learn. Daniels is a huge upgrade over Trai Turner, at this point in his career. Definitely an ascending, up-and-coming OG with his best play likely ahead of him. So I'm probably more optimistic than most, that we have the makings of what could be a relatively solid line, hopefully significantly better than the OL play from last year. Which will do wonders for Najee and this offense.