• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation Full 7 Round Mock Draft – Final Edition

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Well tomorrow is the big day for Steeler Nation, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. The organization will welcome in their next great player (hopefully), and then they’ll continue to add to their roster through Saturday night. It’s been a wild ride since that playoff loss in Kansas City. From the free agent quarterback rumors, right into the quarterback draft rumors. So, let’s go on record with our final mock draft, and see how it unfolds opposed to the real thing.

Steelers 2022 NFL Mock Draft​

Round One​

Pick 20 – Jordan Davis – Defensive Lineman – Georgia

Steeler Nation Would Live Jordan Davis

SI.com

It’s the love that has been forgotten about from many minds. The love for Malik Willis has stayed fresh in the media since the Senior Bowl, but the one that hasn’t been mentioned much since it happened was Mike Tomlin saying he’d love to have Davis. Tomlin of course said he believed Davis would be gone by the time the Steelers select, but the Georgia defensive lineman falls juuuuust enough to #20 for the Steelers. With Willis, and cornerback Derek Stingley Jr off the board already the decision will be easy. While Davis will be limited during the first half of the season, he will serve as an insurance policy for Tyson Alualu who is coming off a major injury.

Round Two​

Pick 52 – Jaquan Brisker – Safety – Penn State

brisker-1024x682.jpg

PennLive.com

The Steelers re-signed Terrell Edmunds to a one-year contract last week, but that won’t change anything for the Steelers in regard to bringing in some competition. While Edmunds has been a serviceable safety next to star Minkah Fitzpatrick, Brisker would bring more play making ability to the Steelers back end. Brisker and second-year man Tre Norwood would give the Steelers solid safety depth beside Fitzpatrick for years to come. Brisker has the ability to match up with all tight ends because of his size and talent level. Had he not been injured during 2021 he may have been considered a sure fire first round selection.

Round Three​

Pick 84 – Tyquan Thornton – Wide Receiver – Baylor

thorton-1024x576.jpeg

USA Today

Speed kills, and Thornton ran a 4.28 40-yard dash, and would add an element of speed that the Steelers don’t currently have. It would also strengthen a position of need for Pittsburgh. Usually, receivers with that type of top end speed don’t make it out of the first two rounds, but Thorton has some growing to do as a receiver. He struggles on contested catches, and he won’t be able to run the full route tree to begin with. But playing behind Diontae Johnson, and Chase Claypool will allow the Steelers to use him like they did Martavis Bryant as a rookie. Get the ball into his hands on short passes with space or throw it deep down the field and let him run under it.

Round Four​

Pick 138 – Damarri Mathis – Cornerback – Pitt

mathis-1024x768.jpg

SI.com

No, it’s not the Pitt player that many people in Steeler Nation would love to have, but I believe they’ll be satisfied with Mathis. He has sticky hands, and has blazing speed. An All-ACC Honorable Mention, he started 13 games for Pitt in 2021 before opting out of the teams Bowl game. He’s a gritty corner that isn’t afraid to come up and stop the run from the slot position. He would give the Steelers some more depth at the slot corner position which was a problem last season.

Round Five​

NO PICK

Round Six​

Pick 208 – Ty Chandler – Running Back – North Carolina

chandler-1024x538.jpg

On3.com

The Steelers brass attended the North Carolina pro day to watch quarterback Sam Howell, but they also saw Chandler in person. Chandler could be what the Steelers thought they were getting with Anthony McFarland. Chandler transferred from Tennessee and replaced Javonte Williams, and Michael Carter who both made it to the NFL and were successful as rookies. Chandler has 4.3 speed but can run defenders over. He’s also able to catch passes out of the back field, which has become something that Tomlin, and Kevin Colbert have come to love over the years. If the running back draft class wasn’t as loaded this year he could’ve went in round 4 or 5.

Round Seven​

Pick 225 – Connor Heyward – Fullback/Tight End – Michigan State

heyward-1024x683.jpg

Mike Mulholland MLive.com

Pittsburgh loves adding brothers of their current players, and they also love pedigrees from NFL families. Heyward checks both of those boxes. And not to mention we know the Steelers love players who can do more. Heyward brings that to the table with his ability to line up in the back field, or on the line of scrimmage to block for Najee Harris. Tomlin loved past tight end David Johnson who they used as a blocker from all areas of the field. Heyward would also bring depth onto the special teams’ units. With Derek Watt set to become a free agent after 2022, Heyward could at the very least fill his role at a lot cheaper price.

Pick 241 – Chris Oladokun – Quarterback – South Dakota State

chris-1024x576.jpg

SI.com

The Steelers brough Oladokun to the South Side for a visit a few weeks ago, and they’ll select him here, so they don’t have to battle it out with other teams during the undrafted free agent process. Oladokun transfered from South Florida to South Dakota State following the 2020 season. At South Dakota he threw for over 3000 yards, and 25 touchdowns. As are all late round picks, Oladokun will be a project that isn’t going to be ready for quite a while if he’s ever ready.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Pretty fond of this draft. Little D top heavy but it solidifies some weakness.

I like it but I would replace Heyward with another WR and go with EJ Perry as a QB. But hey they are the last two picks.

Solid draft. Build strength down the middle of the defense, top speed at receiver, and a cornerback with excellent athleticism and potential. The rest of the draft would add depth to areas that need it.

My mock along
1. Davis DT
2. Watson WR
3. Cook S
4. Durant CB

I just dont think Brisker will be available there at 2.20, neither Moore or Pickens

Last edited:
I could live with this draft eazy peazie fills needs and has some upside to the future. To get Davis would be awesome! I’d be the first to buy his Jersey!! My mock im not so sure of. I can’t tell if I like it or not. I don’t do mocks and what’s funny is in my mock I didn’t get the one guy I think could help us the most on offense lol. I want a Rb James cook he can play slot or Rb, run jet sweeps, back up Harris… but cant squeeze him in, the defense just needs too much. but I finally got this draft through the simulator. As to James Cook if we drafted Watson I’d trade johnson to get him. for the defense, Brandon Smith at 6-3 1/2 250, runs 4.4 4.5 but more importantly has great coverage skills would start day one over Bush who pales in comparison… on offense, Watson reminds me of all the great Steeler receivers rolled up in one: plex‘s size, stallworth‘s lanky jump-ball athleticism, swanie‘s smoothness, great hands, Hines work ethic, Wallace’s speed, A.B ballin’ and route running. 6-4 210 4.3 we be lucky if he’s there at 20, if he is I’d run to the podium. Jones 6-5 330 just a mauler, put in next to Ironhead2 to learn the ropes hell another great Steeler lineman for years to come. Phillips just a very underrated wr… great blocker, great hands and he’s best route runner in the draft. We put him in at the slot he’ll be there a long time, paired up with muth wed own the inside, with Boykin, Claypool, Watson on the outside we’d own the outside too. with Jones, smith the defense would be strengthened up the middle where weve be stinking as of late. Not a bad draft GoSteelers!
1) Watson WR
2) Jones DT
3) Brandon smith LB
4) Kyle Phillips WR