• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation’s 3M’s Monday Mock Drafts 3/28

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mock draft season is upon us as you can’t seem to scroll through any website that covers the NFL without seeing their latest and greatest 2022 NFL Mock Draft.

Each Monday, SteelerNation will be putting out our 3M’s Mock Drafts by three writers (Mike Stiffler, Matt Papiernik, and Ben Michaelian) who will be rotating through three mock draft simulators. We all coincidentally have a name leading with the letter M, hence the catchy title.

The three simulators we will be rotating through are Pro Football Focus’, Pro Football Network’s, and The Draft Network’s. By doing three different simulators and rotating through them all, it will give everyone a good feel of who will be available and how the Pittsburgh Steelers draft could shake out this April.

Below are the three mock drafts for this week. We started with Mike taking TDN, Ben taking PFN, and I took PFF. Here is a link to last week’s as well.

Here is Mike’s:​

1B79FDD0-B664-469D-8614-1DA95CFAEC7C-205x300.jpeg

Mike wrote: “The Steelers haven’t been shy about their interest in drafting a quarterback going 4 for 4 last week attending the Cincinnati, Liberty, Ole Miss, and Pittsburgh Pro Days. With Malik Willis off the board, the Steelers decide to take their (next) guy and select Desmond Ridder over the likes of Kenny Pickett, Matt Corral, and Sam Howell. While I have no inside information to this decision something tells me Ridder is the next quarterback they want after Willis. Ridder is a proven winner going 44-7 during his 4-year career at the University of Cincinnati, going 26-0 never losing a home game. Showcasing his 4.52 speed at the combine, Ridder has remarkable mobility, a trait Head Coach Mike Tomlin discussed ad nauseum during the season. While mechanics can be an issue at times, the Steelers have no problem letting Ridder sit back and develop while Mitch Trubisky steps in under center in the interim. Christian Watson and Jeremy Ruckert go in back to back rounds to add more fire power to a rather stale Steelers offense. While Watson doesn’t have the pedigree of going against the big power 5 schools while at North Dakota State, a 6’4” frame and running a 4.36 40 is hard to bypass. Ruckert will be able to battle Zach Gentry for the second tight end role and has a proven track record as an excellent blocker while at Ohio State, something that could help take the hits off Pat Freiermuth. Ruckert also is a very capable pass catcher although his opportunities were limited in college. Flipping to the defensive side of things for the remainder of the draft, the Steelers pick Eyioma Uwazurike to add further depth along the defensive line, given the uncertainty of Stephon Tuitt. Uwazurike has shown the ability to play any position along the defensive front and has no problem as a 3-4 end, nose tackle, or playing a 3-technique in sub packages. Isaac Taylor-Stuart isn’t going to be someone you see in his first couple years in the NFL but with a good blend of size and speed, he should be an instant impact on special teams. He will require some time to learn the NFL game and work on being a more complete NFL corner. Finally the Steelers close out their draft double dipping (again) in the Aggie pool with safety Leon O’Neal Jr and edge Micheal Clemons. O’Neal could be someone the Steelers rely upon sooner than later as he is more of a traditional strong safety. He has no problem coming in and meeting the ball carrier but needs to find a way to be more effective in the passing game. Clemons has the measurables to succeed but his time in college was mixed due to injuries and a run in with the law. While he has all the tools, Clemons will be well served as a rotational player learning from the reigning Defensive player of the Year on how to put those tools to use”

Now let’s take a look at Ben’s:​

9630C6DF-A348-4CD4-8A14-252F4A497F37-300x288.jpeg
E91718A6-0F2B-454E-AD61-63D957DA3D8A-300x197.jpeg

Ben wrote: “First, I reached a bit for Daxton Hill, but for good reason. Hill is a versatile DB who can play safety or CB. The Steelers need a safety who can start and Hill checks all those boxes. Then I grabbed Desmond Ridder in the 2nd. This is the first time I mocked the Steelers drafting a QB and they seemed to like what they saw from Ridder. He’ll do well learning from younger veterans to groom him into a starting QB. Then I’m the 3rd I took Skyy Moore. I’ve loved Moore as one of the top slot receivers since Day 1 and nothing has changed my mind. Moore is a perfect fit for what they need in a new receiver. Following that, I took Alontae Taylor. Taylor has very similar physical traits of Tennessee-alum Cam Sutton and can play outside. He does well in press coverage too and can fit into a zone scheme. After Taylor I took Noah Elliss. Elliss is another I’ve liked as a Casey Hampton type DT. He’s a massive, strong body and can be a headache for offense guards to block. Jeremiah Moon is a converted edge player to inside linebacker and did well in his 2021 at the position. He has long arms and is athletic enough to cover tight ends or slot receivers, yet physical enough to collapse on the line and plug gaps. Moon would be a nice fit behind Devin Bush and Myles Jack. Then finally I took Spencer Burford last. Burford is an athletic, versatile offensive lineman and can play either guard or tackle. At the last pick I consider him a steal, as he could easily be that reliable back-up who can plug in anywhere. He’s what the Steelers need on the depth chart.”

Lastly, let’s take a look at mine:​

pff_mock_results-1-205x300.png

What I had to say about my mock: “I rarely make trades in mock drafts as they are incredibly difficult to predict, let alone predict accurately. However, it makes a lot of sense for the Steelers this season. Tomlin and Colbert have both at times talked about their limited draft capitol over the next two years, and they likely will miss out on the top QBs they could take like they did for me. I traded back with the Kansas City Chiefs as they have two first round picks and it makes sense for them to make a move to snag one of the top wide receivers. After trading back I ended up choosing Jaquon Brisker. Safety may not seem like the top need, but currently they don’t have a starting strong safety, and while there are some starters left out there, they might only sign short deals at this point in the free agency cycle. He would be a great strong safety to compliment Minkah Fitzpatrick as he is a downhill, physical, and strong player who excels in the box but is far from a liability in coverage. In the 2nd round I was at a tricky spot at 52. I ended up going with Drake Jackson, a fast and twitchy edge rusher who could be a great #3 behind TJ Watt and Alex Highsmith. They currently are without a proven 3rd rusher, and Jackson could be that. He is NFL ready to be a designated pass rusher due to his speed/explosion, but needs to add lower body strength to be a 3 down player. With the 2nd round pick I added from the Chiefs I selected a forgotten about QB in Carson Strong. Strong arguably has the most NFL ready arm in the draft, as he showed tremendous zip, touch, and ball placement during his career at Nevada. He may not be as mobile as some people would like due to a knee injury, but he could take some time to get that worked out while being a redshirt in his first year with tremendous upside due to his arm talent. Most people would consider a 3rd round running back unnecessary, but adding someone to take workload off of Najee Harris is a must, and James Cook would be a great compliment. He excels in the passing game but also is more than capable of working between the tackles. Cordale Fort is a bit of a projection at cornerback in the NFL, but the Steelers have some depth there and can afford to take someone like that. He has the length, speed, and mentality for the position, but is extremely light so he will need time for his body to mature. The team could definitely add some speed to their offense, and Danny Gray does just that running a 40 yard dash in the 4.3s. He is also a lanky wide receiver that has good, fluid movements in his routes that can expand on his route tree. Both 7th round picks will be longshots to make the roster like always, so I took two guys with upside. Hansford and Rosenthal are both raw for their positions, but have very good physical traits for their respective positions with the upside of starters down the road.”

All these simulators always obviously rank people in very different locations, but you can see trends in all of these as well as some overlapping names. These different simulators now have all the same picks finally as the compensatory picks have finally been announced!

Let us know below what you think of all of our mocks we did this week and who you think would be good prospects to look into! Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

The Steelers liked Carson Strong so much that his was the only one of the "top" QBs' pro days that they didn't send either Colbert, Tomlin, or, both to.
I don't see Strong as a possibility .... So, they'll pick him. lol

I really like Ben's and Matt's for various reasons. Dare is a developmental type but getting him in 7 is a steal. He is raw but the capability is there to be solid at pass and run blocking. I like Hill just presume he will be off the board at 20 but if he is there someone should be short shuttling their *** to the podium.. I would put him at SS and be happy with it. Skyy is one of my favorite day 2 receivers. I go back n forth on Ridder. But rather take him in 2 than reach on a QB in 1. I like him better than Strong. I think Nevada has that type of scheme that inflates stats. Cook is interesting he could be a good complimentary back.

Ridder at #20 - Hell NO

I agree but did you see he had Christian Watson in the second, a pick i'd be A-ok with.

I've got a feeling that the front office feels they have done enough with the OL to merit no high draft pick. I think if Penning was there they would pass on him.

I know who I'd take but I question the pick if DAVIS is there and Coach Tomlins infactuation QB are both there at 1.20 ......................... I hope we don't find out and ONLY Davis is there....................................?

Salute the nation

I know they won't trade back in the 1st....but I still like my last draft

Desmond Ridder in the 1st? HELL NO
Desmond Ridder in the 2nd? HELL YES

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 23 (ARI): Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa (A-)
Round 2 Pick 20: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 2 Pick 23 (ARI): Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 20: Marcus Jones, CB, Houston (A+)
Round 4 Pick 34 (COMP): James Cook, RB, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Damarion Williams, CB, Houston (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Andrew Stueber, OT/OG, Michigan (A+)
Now there is a draft I could live with. Only thing I would change is last pick. Would take the best,fastest WR over 5’10” left. 2 CB’s are definitely needed,as I believe they are our weakest link and have been for some time. Need fresh young talent there. Plus the return ability. Would take Penning all day in the first if he fell to us.

Now.....tell us about the CB’s Coolie. Any personal insight? 🙂👍

Now there is a draft I could live with. Only thing I would change is last pick. Would take the best,fastest WR over 5’10” left. 2 CB’s are definitely needed,as I believe they are our weakest link and have been for some time. Need fresh young talent there. Plus the return ability. Would take Penning all day in the first if he fell to us.

I've pimped them both previously (and will again before the draft) but here you go

Marcus Jones is very good in coverage especially in the slot. He also played outside and has the speed to overcome some mistakes, but can lose contact on deeper routes He is good at taking it to taller receivers and making it difficult on them If he was taller he would be a 1st round guy. He had 5 ints last season and something like 13 passes defended. HE is wiling tackler and will be solid in run support. He was excellent on both PR and KR with 2 TDs each on punts and kick offs. He is fearless and has good field vision.

Williams also played outside and in the slot as well as some time at safety. HE is a solid tackler and has good closing speed in coverage. I posted link earlier of a guy breaking down his game. I will have to find it again and repost.

20 - Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
52 - Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State
84 - Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota
138 - Smoke Monday, S, Auburn
208 - James Houston IV, LB, Jackson State
225 - Derion Kendrick, CB, Georgia
241 - Ty Chandler, RB, North Carolina

PFN mock

Daxton Hill
    S Michigan

• PIT

Skyy Moore
    WR Western Michigan

• PIT

Ed Ingram
    OG LSU

• PIT

John Ridgeway
    DT Arkansas

• PIT

Velus Jones Jr.
    WR Tennessee

• PIT

Connor Heyward
    RB Michigan State

• PIT

Luke Wattenberg
    OC Washington

Slash, I love your draft, but no way to we draft a C or G with 4 C/Gs and a full time swing G on the roster already.

here is the write up on Williams

Slash, I love your draft, but no way to we draft a C or G with 4 C/Gs and a full time swing G on the roster already.
One is some BigDot competition. The C could always PS if he doesn't beat out Hass.

One is some BigDot competition. The C could always PS if he doesn't beat out Hass.
I hear you, but we already have 4 dogs and 3 bones at IOL. Both FAs, Green, and JC can play C. All of them plus Dotson can play G. I just don't see a need to draft an IOL at all this year, unless they don't believe in Big Dot?

I hear you, but we already have 4 dogs and 3 bones at IOL. Both FAs, Green, and JC can play C. All of them plus Dotson can play G. I just don't see a need to draft an IOL at all this year, unless they don't believe in Big Dot?
There was some rumblings last year that they weren't happy with BigDot. Now that can be just that.. rumblings. But if they draft a guard semi early we will know that there might be some truth to it.

There was some rumblings last year that they weren't happy with BigDot. Now that can be just that.. rumblings. But if they draft a guard semi early we will know that there might be some truth to it.
I'm still not convinced they're happy with how he's progressed. He really wasn't that good last year. Hopefully Moore will perform better and stability at center will help Dotson raise his game.

Your score is: 51561 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29 (MIA): Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 20: Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 24 (DAL): Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 27 (T.B.): Christian Harris, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 20: Jalen Pitre, FS/SS, Baylor (A)
Round 3 Pick 29 (MIA): Nik Bonitto, DE/OLB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 6 Pick 29: Emil Ekiyor Jr., OG, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Ryan Hayes, OT, Michigan (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2023 Round 1 Pick
2024 Round 1 Pick

I went with the TE in rd 7 purely on the cool *** name

20 - Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
52 - Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State
84 - Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota
138 - Smoke Monday, S, Auburn
208 - James Houston IV, LB, Jackson State
225 - Derion Kendrick, CB, Georgia
241 - Ty Chandler, RB, North Carolina

PFN mock

I hope we do end up with Christian Watson, I've seen some pretty good stuff on him.

Great mock Supe, thanks

Salute the nation

Using Walter football as a tempete here who I'd draft.

1 ) LB Devin Lloyd, a the phase linebacker who can play the run, cover for the pass, and biltz.

2 ) Cb Armour Davis. We need a corner and Davis has the skills.

3 ) OT Max Mitchell. A future starter.

4 ) WR Romeo Doubs A big and fast reciever with good hands. Prodcutive

Last edited:

Using Walter football as a tempete here who I'd daft.

1 ) LB Devin Lloyd, a the phase linebacker who can play the run, cover for the pass, and biltz.

2 ) Cb Armour Davis. We need a corner and Davis has the skills.

3 ) OT Max Mitchell. A future starter.

4 ) WR Romeo Doubs A big and fast reciever with good hands. Prodcutive
Ol reliable huh?

😅

Oh I am sure you daft plenty.

🤣