• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation’s 3M’s Monday Mock Drafts

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mock draft season is upon us as you can’t seem to scroll through any website that covers the NFL without seeing their latest and greatest 2022 NFL Mock Draft.

Each Monday, SteelerNation will be putting out their 3M’s Mock Drafts by three writers (Mike Stiffler, Matt Papiernik, and Ben Michaelian) who will be rotating through three mock draft simulators. We all coincidentally have a name leading with the letter M, hence the catchy title.

The three simulators we will be rotating through are Pro Football Focus’, Pro Football Network’s, and The Draft Network’s. By doing three different simulators and rotating through them all it will give everyone a good feel of who will be available and how the Pittsburgh Steelers draft could shake out this April.

Below are the three mock drafts for this week. We started with Mike taking PFN, Ben taking PFF, and I took TDN.

Here is Mike’s:

22331B56-99AC-43AD-B910-5E05CE074D57.jpeg

Mike wrote: “A wide receiver in the first round?! Yes. For this mock draft, I think the Steelers are doing the smart thing with their money in free agency and investing it into the offensive line. With this being said, JuJu Smith-Schuster would be walking away from the Black and Gold, leaving a huge hole behind. Slide in Chris Olave and he can step in as the WR 2/3 for the Steelers. Olave would allow both Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool to slide inside in 3 wide receiver sets and create mismatches. Olave is one of the best route runners in the class and has the speed and natural ability to be a deep threat for the Steelers. Kyle Gordon is a steal for the Steelers in the second as the Steelers badly need cornerback depth. Per PFF, in 722 career coverage snaps, he has never allowed a touchdown. Daniel Faalele is Zach Banner 2.0 for the Steelers next project at tackle. The Steelers finish their draft with some Black and Gold legacies in Quentin Lake (Carnell Lake) and Connor Heyward (Cam Heyward).”

Now let’s take a look at Ben’s:

2EEC87CE-B90F-4166-B724-537D637B1F62.jpeg

Ben Wrote: “Ok, here we go. Of course I went Trent McDuffie at 20. Absolutely love him as a guy who can shut down half the field and work well with Minkah Fitzpatrick. I may have taken Chenal a bit earlier than I wanted, but I see him and Moore (who I took in the 3rd) as both value picks on the 2nd day. I love Moore as that true slow WR, similar to a Hines Ward. I’m assuming JuJu isn’t going to re-sign, so that’s why I have a WR so high up. Then I addressed the o-line. Fortner is listed as a center, but he’s versatile along the interior – like a better JC. Van Demark is another low risk high reward tackle who was effective at the blindside spot, which is what the Steelers need. I then took White as one of those change of pace backs with Najee Harris. I think White is one of the most underrated RB’s in this draft and he’s a great pick i the later rounds. Finally, I took Connor Heyward, which I think we can all agree is the right move. He’s a Derek Watt/Eric Ebron in one package. He’d be great paired with Pat Freiermuth in 2 tight end sets.”

Lastly, let’s take a look at mine:

TDN-2-21-22.png

What I had to say: “It was weird when I finished and I saw I spent the first three picks on defense, but it worked out this way in terms of value. I also think the Steelers spend a lot of money in free agency on offense fixing the offensive line. Trent McDuffie is arguably my favorite cornerback in the draft for the Steelers. So when he was there at 20, it was nearly impossible for me to pass on him. His physicality and tenaciousness is exactly what the Steelers love. Both Jones and Muma are studs in the center who could be long term solutions at key positions. Tyson Alualu is under contract for next season but won’t be around forever at his age, and we all know about the Steelers LB room… Rosenthal is arguably the highest upside offensive lineman in the draft after the opening round, so he will need some development. Both Tyquan Thornton and Ty Chandler are late round sleepers that couple bring some big place to the offense, as Thornton has track like speed and Chandler had several big plays throughout his career.”

All these simulators always obviously rank people in very different locations, but you can see trends in all of these as well as some overlapping names. Let us know below what you think of all of our mocks we did this week and who you think would be good prospects to look into!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I won't critique the picks but thank you for taking the time to do them. I will have to zoom in on some I am not familiar with.👍

Solid efforts all around. I really like the first three picks in Mike's draft.

Olave's combination of route running and ability to make plays down field. He has three straight years of very good production and would help round out the receiving corps. I prefer several other guys over him based on speed, size, etc., but you combine a top receiver with a cornerback who can man the slot position and a potential people mover at RT, it's a solid looking draft.

McDuffie is going to be a good cornerback for some team and I would be happy there as well. I think I prefer draft 3 over 2 because we get a big IDL who has potential to offer something rushing the passer and a fun ILB prospect with Muma.

What I like the most about them is that they are all addressing the Cb position which I think is a huge need even if we keep Witherspoon. I literally know **** about college football but reading and watching some tape it seems like this draft has a lot of available talent at the position from round 1 to round 3.

Based only in size and production this group has players slotted to the late 2nd or even 3rd round that might have been late 1st in other years. Here are the apparent groups:
Early 1st round: Stingley, Gardner, Booth Jr
Late 1st/ 2nd round: McDuffie, McCreary, Elam, Gordon
3rd Round has good depth: Bryant, Jones, Taylor, Emerson, Goodrich, Jobe, etc

Of course this will change after the combine but in general terms looks deep.

The first 7 guys should bring an inmediate starter and we might find one still available in the 2nd round. I think we shouldn't leave this draft without picking a CB in the first 3 rounds. Linebacker seems deep too, hope we get one of each

Really like Mike's draft. Quentin Lake would be an absolute steal in the 4th, as would Faalele in the 3rd.

I'm not nearly as adapt in the college field but just know we need "Trench Warefare" personal and shouldn't count on Tuitt to be our savior.

CB is huge need as well

Salute the nation

I'm not nearly as adapt in the college field but just know we need "Trench Warefare" personal and shouldn't count on Tuitt to be our savior.

CB is huge need as well

Salute the nation
Honestly I have changed my mind about where to invest to help the Oline. This team needs a couple of vets to lead Moore, Dotson and Green. Right now we are raw as sushi and I don't know if more rookies is the way to go.

Of course if a top prospect is there available in round 1 or 2 you get him but I think we can find a future starting G or RT in the 3rd or 4th round while a top FA starts this coming season

Honestly I have changed my mind about where to invest to help the Oline. This team needs a couple of vets to lead Moore, Dotson and Green. Right now we are raw as sushi and I don't know if more rookies is the way to go.

Of course if a top prospect is there available in round 1 or 2 you get him but I think we can find a future starting G or RT in the 3rd or 4th round while a top FA starts this coming season

I totally agree and think they need to bring in a full fledge starting center FA, a big signing but not bank breaking. If the right guy is there then pull the trigger. We do need to take in account Moore and Green will be second year players but we do need "Trench Warefare" investment regardless if draft or FA.

Thanks for all your insight Litos.!

Salute the nation

If a super stud rookie is there you take him… adding a couple vets isn’t a terrible idea but we need a guy to anchor the line for a decade