• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Could Hit the Jackpot with Eye-Catching Jahan Dotson in the 1st Round

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the Pittsburgh Steelers 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Steelers. Next up…

Jahan Dotson (Wide Receiver), Penn State, Senior

OVERVIEW:

With us now officially in Draft Week, the Steelers’ priority list is starting to take shape. Up until the end of last week, the strong safety position was the only vacancy on the roster that didn’t have a presumed starter listed. But with the re-signing of Terrell Edmunds, this moves the needle for the Steelers’ first round pick off safety and to potential contributors on offense. But with that said, this year’s draft for the Steelers is relatively open compared to last year as to who will be their first pick. In 2021, there was a majority agreement that a running back was going to be called by the Steelers in the first round. However, with now four days left to go before the 2022 draft, there’s a split amongst Steeler Nation of whether it will be a quarterback, wide receiver, or possibly cornerback who will be taken at 20th overall. I am here to say that I am fully comfortable and confident in Mitch Trubisky starting under center in September; but he needs a reliable receiver inside to help round out the offense. This is where Penn State’s Jahan Dotson would be an intriguing prospect for General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin.

Steelers' Prospect Dotson

Steelers’ prospect Jahan Dotson makes a one-handed catch versus Auburn (Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com)

PROS:

Dotson is arguably one of the most underrated receivers, let alone prospects, in this year’s draft. He has fluid route-running abilities and tremendous hands. He’s a versatile player who can line up on the outside or inside of the offense and can even contribute on special teams if need be. For how he’d succeed in Pittsburgh, it’d most likely be as a slot receiver. With JuJu Smith-Schuster and Ray-Ray McCloud gone, this leaves a void in the middle of the field and Pat Freiermuth needs a partner in crossing up the middle of the defense.

How Would the Steelers Use Dotson?​

Dotson can beat defenders at every level of the defense. He can get open on inside crossing routes or split the safeties on long, deep routes. He has great ball skills and always puts himself in the best position possible to make a play on the ball. Dotson has great footwork and shows to have different gears once he gets the ball in his hands. For not having a large physical presence, he plays bigger than what he looks like by having a large catch radius. Dotson has all of the right tools to make him a true All-Pro NFL receiver.

How Did Dotson Perform at the Combine?

CONS:

As I indicated above, Dotson’s size is a bit smaller than what NFL scouts like in an inside receiver. At 5’11” and 178 pounds, it doesn’t take much to overpower Dotson off the line in press coverage. On that same note, he tends to be most comfortable on the outside than inside of the formation. He seems to have difficulties in fighting his way through a crowd to get to the top of his route and this causes him to get lost in the play. His blocking is also a bit suspect. If Dotson gets selected to play in the inside of the Steelers’ offense, he’ll need to learn how to get physical on run plays and block oncoming defenders. To put it bluntly, Dotson is going to really need to grow physically in order for him to thrive in the NFL.

Steelers Prospect Dotson

Jahan Dotson makes a catch down the seam against Maryland (Erin Sullivan | Onward State)

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late 1st to 2nd Round

I said it above and I’ll say it again – Dotson is very underrated. Before the NFL Combine, he was a solid second round selection, but he’s floated into the Day 1 conversation as we get closer and closer to the first round. This year’s wide receiver draft class is very deep, which is why Dotson would be called probably on the second day instead of the opening round. However, if the Steelers decide to pass on him at the 20th spot, they should not expect to see him available come their 52nd overall selection.

Ranking the Options: Trade Up? Trade Back? Stay Put? What Should Steelers Do With #20?

Is Dotson a Top 20 Pick?​

VERDICT:

I consider the wide receiver position to be a top priority for the Steelers in the draft. There is a good chance Dotson is going to be available to them in the first round and I think he makes sense for the offense. For being considered “Linebacker U”, Penn State has churned out top talent at the receiver position in recent years. Just look at Allen Robinson II, Chris Godwin, KJ Hamler, and DaeSean Hamilton. For the Steelers, the only difficult part of selecting Dotson is the paradox between using an early pick too soon on a prospect who may not necessarily fit that bill, or bank on him being available later in the 2nd round and either making a trade to grab him or having to resort to a contingency plan. Sure, in a perfect world we’d like to see a top-tier quarterback and Dotson get taken in the first two rounds, but the odds of that happening are slim. Therefore, although this may be an unpopular opinion, I’d prefer Dotson in the first round over any other prospect not named ‘Malik Willis’, ‘Trent McDuffie’, or ‘Chris Olave’ for the Steelers.

Where do you see Dotson going in April? Would you want to see him in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

No thanks, other guys I'd rather have

Some of the old Steeler ways are so engrained in me…I still don’t like the idea of using a first round pick on a player that may only touch the ball 5 or 6 times a game. I know that’s a dated philosophy, but I will never get excited about a receiver in the first round.

Some of the old Steeler ways are so engrained in me…I still don’t like the idea of using a first round pick on a player that may only touch the ball 5 or 6 times a game. I know that’s a dated philosophy, but I will never get excited about a receiver in the first round.
Makes perfect sense to me. The AFC is stacked with HOF caliber QBs. Assuming we actually want to compete, anything but a QB in the first round would be a waste. For me it's Pickett or wake me up in 2023.

Watching him play last season, I thought he was a top 10-15 pick. He’s a playmaker.

It’s the impact they have just being on the field. If they’re forcing the defense to be on their heels or limit what they’re willing do (blitzes, double coverage, etc.) They're contributing to 50 or 60 plays, not 5 or 6.

Makes perfect sense to me. The AFC is stacked with HOF caliber QBs. Assuming we actually want to compete, anything but a QB in the first round would be a waste. For me it's Pickett or wake me up in 2023.
that is a bit of a stretch for those 3 guys. one is too young, one is a hot mess right now and the last is a rb playing qb

Watching him play last season, I thought he was a top 10-15 pick. He’s a playmaker.
I really like this kid. I actually think with how impressive he was statistically his QB held him back. There is some WRs value wise that would make a good debate to be picked before him as well as other players. But I feel he is being looked as a high 2, and his true value could be mid 1. I realize I like him more than a lot of the draftniks. But he is the only player touted for 2 that I wouldn't blink if they picked him at 20. I obviously think he is somewhat undervalued. For me he checks off a lot of boxes. Hands,speed, athletism, production. I see this kid having a solid career.

I hope they can find a guy fast enough to force coverage over the top for him and open up some mid range routes for others..

5' 10"186 lb

compared to

5' 11" 183

The first one was ABs measurements coming out.
AB went in the 6th round, for me he has too many weaknesses to be considered a first round pick. And in the second there are guys I'd rather have (Watson, Pickens)

I think Watson is Martavis Bryant with his head on straight. And Pickens is a guy you can line up anywhere.

Insaniti covers the point well. Dotson is a very good player, and contributes to getting other receivers open, keeping defenders off the LOS, AND catching passes. But he is not worth the 20th pick. The draft just has too many players in the 15-75 range who are good to spend the 20th pick on a guy who is likely available at 40 or 45.

Guys that have no issues with the size of there dicks usually don't have to discuss that on a football message board with other guys. But as to the football issue I worry about his durability in the NFL. He reminds me a little of DeVonta Smith who has been banged up during his young NFL career. I like him but not in the first because of the health risk.

He is an exciting play maker and made Sean Clifford look good, and that is a miracle in of itself. But like others have stated, he's not a #20 pick. It needs to be DL/OL/SS at #20

When did 5'11 become too small for the NFL?

Tyreek Hill 5'10
Dionte Johnson 5'10
Jaylen Waddle 5'10
Tyler Lockett 5'10

Dotson has a 36 inch vertical, so he plays bigger and has a good catch radius. He has the best hands in the draft.

If Canada wants RAC in his system, then a smooth route runner like Dotson is what you want. It's much harder to find a guy who runs great routes and has great hands than a guy who is big.

Guys that have no issues with the size of there dicks usually don't have to discuss that on a football message board with other guys. But as to the football issue I worry about his durability in the NFL. He reminds me a little of DeVonta Smith who has been banged up during his young NFL career. I like him but not in the first because of the health risk.

Dotson is more solidly built than Smith. Smith was 6 ft and just 166. Dude is a string bean.

Another thing to consider with Dotson is that he was the only weapon PSU had last year. Every defense focused on stopping Dotson. His job of getting open was much tougher than the Bama and OSU guys who played on loaded teams where a defense couldn't focus on any 1 player.

If the steelers draft Dotson, I think you let DJ leave in free agency.

5-10 178 lbs is the same as 6-0 166.. They are both small. No way I take him at 20. If he is a Steeler I will definitely be pulling for him. 2nd round absolutely.