• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Currently Having Most Aggressive Free Agency in Franchise History

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Steeler way seems to be no more. Well, at least for the first week of free agency in the NFL’s 2022 off-season. The Pittsburgh Steelers don’t spend money on outside free agents. The team certainly rarely goes out and signs an impact guy to a multi-year deal. But, as many expected, with the most cap space in franchise history, General Manager, Kevin Colbert is doing what he can to make the team as competitive as possible in an extremely talented AFC.

Fans were upset when the team started off slow on day one of the legal tampering, signing a few current players to come back. However, it has picked up since. They have now signed a total of five outside free agents in Mitchell Trubisky, Mason Cole, Levi Wallace, James Daniels and most recently, Myles Jack.

Colbert is not messing around in what is expected to be his last season as the head of the front office. Each player has been signed at a reasonable cost, but it has added up to a total of $80.45 million to bring in the guys from the outside.

So far, the Steelers have spent $80.45 million in three days on five outside free agents, the most active they have ever been in free agency.

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) March 16, 2022

Steeler Nation should be absolutely thrilled with this type of aggressiveness of Colbert and head coach, Mike Tomlin. The Steelers do not rebuild. They are seen as one of the most iconic franchises in all of sports and losing is not an option. These moves are displaying that everyone inside Heinz Field believes that. The incredible thing is the price they were able to get each player at. All five of them are presumably starters in 2022. The cap space was not just going to sit there. The most recent free agent signing in Joe Haden has maybe turned the heads of the front office in terms of having a need and addressing it in free agency. While I don’t expect this every year from here on out, this year it was necessary, and can be looked at as one of the most effective free agencies out of any team throughout the league.

What’s the best part about this? There has not yet been a single draft pick traded. As of now, the Steelers will have the amount of picks they expected. They have addressed several needs in free agency and will be able to now look at wide receiver possibly with the 20th overall pick. The ability to utilize the money in their pockets to improve the team has many people forgetting there is still a draft to be done. And who is one of the most successful drafting teams in NFL history? The Pittsburgh Steelers.

Watch out, NFL. The Steelers are slowly emerging as a defensive powerhouse yet again. If Stephon Tuitt returns, Tyson Alulalu is healthy, Devin Bush returns to form to go along with T.J. Watt, Cameron Heyward, Alex Highsmith, Minkah Fitzpatrick and now Jack, this defense will be among the NFL’s best.

The Steelers are having the best and most aggressive free agency ever. How are we feeling out there, Steeler fans? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They have spent over 100 mil.Just a minor adjustment...

I thought the Steelers might have one, maybe two significant, early signings, never thought they’d have Trubisky, Daniels and Mack signed by Wednesday.

no snyder paid big money to big name free agents hoping to buy his way to a title

None of these signings are crazy money
I was living in the DC area when Snyder first bought the Redskins. Every year the fans were beside themselves thinking he had surely bought a championship. I loved watching it fall to pieces.

I had heard rumors that Snyder was a supreme ******* and he always struck me of such, sounds like those rumors were true.

I really am shocked that the Steelers are so active. I think the Chuks deal was a big expensive mistake, but I like the other signings.
Now, let's have Wagner and Honey Badger, a couple more starters on the o-line, either sign Juju reasonably or let him walk and draft Garrett Wilson, deal with Tuitt and Alualu or their replacements, and fire Tomlin so we have a chance on gamedays!

yada yada yada typical steelers though, while other fans are unwrapping shiny new toys we are unwrapping retreads. jack who knows if he has anymore miles left the tank 2 for 16?? probably not... the dude replacing him foye oluokun would have been awesome HE CAN COVER! 192 tackles it was on this board the world was made aware how great a pick up that dude would be. Daniels ok he's an upgrade still young but looks like he plays with a flat tire. trubiski? Wilson was the obvious replacement for ben but nope not for steeler fans you get to suffer with the retreads of the NFL. a big part of me is going to say good fukn bye Colbert! you glorious *******! long live the STEELERS!!! YOU CHEAP ********!