• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers D credits 7 shots for red zone success

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Why the Steelers defense lets 'everything hang' in the red zone
play

10:58 PM ET
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer
PITTSBURGH -- When opponents drive into the red zone, the same line always comes up in the Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive huddle.

"There’s at least one person that says, 'All right, screw this drive, we’re now playing seven shots,'" safety Mike Mitchell said. "That’s 100 percent."

"Seven shots" is a practice ritual where the Steelers offense gets seven chances to score on the first-team defense from the goal line.

When offenses approach the 20-yard line and those passing routes tighten, the Steelers defense feels right at home.

The proof is in the numbers entering Sunday's matchup with the Miami Dolphins. The Steelers rank 26th in total defense with 1,895 yards allowed, yet ninth in scoring defense with 18.6 points per game -- and that's with the Philadelphia Eagles pouring 34 points on Pittsburgh in Week 3.

In the other four games, the Steelers have allowed 13 drives of 50 or more yards. Four of those 13 have resulted in touchdowns.

"I wish I could explain it. I would stop giving up all those yards," second-year defensive coordinator Keith Butler said. "I don’t know. We do a good job, I think. Mike [Tomlin] does a good job during the week of us always competing against our offense. We have a good offense. We work on third down every day."

And the "seven shots" come in handy when the defense talks "a whole lot of mess" after stopping the offense, Butler said. The defense's goal is to stop Pittsburgh's high-powered offense on four of those seven attempts. If they can do that, they'll get stops on Sundays.

The Steelers have eliminated the deep-downfield throws that used to burn them on occasion. Eagles running back Darren Sproles caught a 73-yard touchdown, but that was off a short pass. The longest deep-pass gain was a 33-yard catch by Washington's DeSean Jackson in Week 1.

"We dictate where you throw the ball, and then when we get in the red zone, now that that throw is no longer an option, it’s harder for you to play offense," said Mitchell, who handles the defensive-back communication along with cornerback William Gay. "We just let everything hang. We’re either going to make a play or they are going to score. We’re in no way afraid down there. We have guys stepping up in situations and looking to make a play."

The Steelers defense is without star players such as Cameron Heyward and Ryan Shazier due to injury, but it tries to offset losses with fearless play. Corners Ross Cockrell and rookie Artie Burns lobby to cover Antonio Brown in practice, to mixed results. After one sack through the first three games, the Steelers have found their rhythm, with seven sacks in the past two. Rather than blitzing more, the defense has worked to identify favorable one-on-one matchups in the front seven, Butler said.

Burns, in particular, has earned a more prominent role this week for his improved play. He got two interceptions in practices this week.

But Burns has competition from at least 10 others when it comes to making plays in the red zone.

Nice to hear! Now get your hands on the ball in the games Mr Burns!!

Bend but don't break in the Redzone - works for me

As long as Ben gets his 30+ points, we should be OK

Last edited:
Ya, as long as...

That's the caveat that worries me.

Well quit pussyfooting around and don't just throw the ball deep once or twice in the first half when the defense shows it can't stop you!

BOMB the hell out of them, get up 4 TD's, then run the ball

Ya, as long as...

That's the caveat that worries me.

Eh not me. I don't think any defense in the league can stop the Steelers offense. Too much weopons to contain. The defense isn't the same style in the past but they do hold when crucial

Eh not me. I don't think any defense in the league can stop the Steelers offense. Too much weopons to contain. The defense isn't the same style in the past but they do hold when crucial

Imagine when our O is at full stregnth !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad our "D" has to practice against our "O"..!!! Both elevate each other in a sense that is fantastic for our overall team growth. Take it 7 shots at a time and I don't drink........

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC
The past 2 weeks, a lot of the yardage the D gave up was 4th quarter garbage-time yardage.

Steelers up by 20 and the opposition wants to dump of 5-yard passes and run up meaningless yardage? Have at it.