• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers did have serious interest in Finley

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...jermichael-finley-says-steelers-showed-deals/

Yes, but as was pointed out the insurance policy means there is zero percent chance he signs with us.

What I think we should do is keep wining and dining him and giving him warm and fuzzies. After the Houston game on the 22nd we sign him to a cap friendly 1 1/2 year deal. That gives him his 10 million bucks and us a weapon for the playoffs if we make it and a cheap TE for 2015.

What I think we should do is keep wining and dining him and giving him warm and fuzzies. After the Houston game on the 22nd we sign him to a cap friendly 1 1/2 year deal. That gives him his 10 million bucks and us a weapon for the playoffs if we make it and a cheap TE for 2015.

To be clear, he can only collect the insurance proceeds if he never plays a snap of professional football again.

And I highly doubt that the insurance will pay the ten million dollars because he can't get a more lucrative contract. If the physician who performed the operation says he is good to go, he can't collect 10 million dollars.

he has butter fingers rather see speath stay as the back and rotate with Paulsen. I think it will take Blanchflower 2 years to be the clear back up, this year I see him competing with Palmer and if he loses the 3rd te job, he goes on the PS.
Why Paulsen over Blanchflower b/c you can use him as a WR when spreading things out and try getting a OLB or old S to pick him up in coverage where Paulsen can use his 4.62 speed to gain separation.
I am very against bringing in Finley rather see them line up Moye as a TE to create mismatches even it is for 1 or 3 plays a game.

We don't need a te WR if any position a vet CB.

He has been in the league for 6 seasons with one of the most prolific offenses and he musters up 223 career catches for 2,785 yards and 20 touchdowns. That's 2 years of Jimmy Graham's career.
His hands came from the same mold as Ike's.

If he could catch he'd still be a Packer

And what does it say happens if he plays after taking the money? Insurance companies ain't stupid, those policies only protect against career-ending injuries.

And what does it say happens if he plays after taking the money? Insurance companies ain't stupid, those policies only protect against career-ending injuries.

If I remember correct Finley was going into the final year of his contract last year with no guarantee for a new one he likely signed the insurance deal just in case an injury prevented him from cashing in during free agency. Obviously, it has. I think if he was not injured he would have received a contract and his first year would have been worth between salary and bonus over 10 million. That is what he insured. Lloyd's of London insures crazy stuff all the time. Polamalu's hair is insured for one million dollars and that would just grow back.

Bwt, I have my insurance license and anything can be insured if you have insurable interest.

Last edited:
If I remember correct Finley was going into the final year of his contract last year with no guarantee for a new one he likely signed the insurance deal just in case an injury prevented him from cashing in during free agency. Obviously, it has. I think if he was not injured he would have received a contract and his first year would have been worth between salary and bonus over 10 million. That is what he insured. Lloyd's of London insures crazy stuff all the time. Polamalu's hair is insured for one million dollars and that would just grow back.

Bwt, I have my insurance license and anything can be insured if you have insurable interest.

All I'm saying is that it will require a very specific set of circumstances for Findley to collect the money; he will not be able to get the $10m AND resume his playing career.

I agree Al. I'm not in the insurance industry, but have dealt with them enough to know they don't give money away. The insurer would have to accept that he had a huge pre-injury market and that it was damaged to the tune of 10 million dollars. He is using the insurance as leverage to get a better deal which I would assume the insurance people wouldn't really feel great about. I guess I'd really have to know the clauses of the insurance. However, if it just says career ending and doctors have cleared him to play, I don't think you can just say, my career is over cause I can't get what I want.

Emmanuel Sanders got run out of town for being merely underwhelming and people seriously want Jermichael Finley?

Finley should take the insurance money and get on with his life's work.

Policy specifics:

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...y-10-million-insurance-policy-misconceptions/

He has been in the league for 6 seasons with one of the most prolific offenses and he musters up 223 career catches for 2,785 yards and 20 touchdowns. That's 2 years of Jimmy Graham's career.
His hands came from the same mold as Ike's.

Sums it up for me...

The fact the steelers are interested tells me Tomlin and Colbert feel the seat getting warm and they know they have to make the playoffs this year or somebody is probably getting fired.

The fact the steelers are interested tells me Tomlin and Colbert feel the seat getting warm and they know they have to make the playoffs this year or somebody is probably getting fired.

Unless Ben gets hurt there is no reason they shouldn't make the playoffs. They have one of the easiest schedules in the league, if not the easiest. Someone should be fired if they don't make the playoffs this year.

If someone gets canned which I doubt, it will be Colbert, the Roonies will not be getting rid of Tomlin until he tosses in at least 2 more 8 an 8 seasons or worse. Like it or not they have started rebuilding a team under this guys supervision. You could also say the supervision of the rest of the staff as well and changing leaders and their subsequent philosophies during rebuilding is a recipe for becoming Cleveland South. One could also make an argument that it is still early enough in the process to effect the change and not to have wasted a season that produced high draft picks. I do not think Tomlin was the guy they should have picked for the HC but he is ours now. At this point he is putting together his team of coaches and players even though he still has some carry overs they are mostly his guys. Were in this far we might as well give him the chance to prove what he can do with his vision. I would not think he has more than three non playoff seasons in a row left.

All I'm saying is that it will require a very specific set of circumstances for Findley to collect the money; he will not be able to get the $10m AND resume his playing career.

You are right the insurance contract will be very specific but depending on how the contract was written it could mean he has to quit playing football or it could mean he protected himself from potential loss of guaranteed money if he incured an injury. I mean Teddy Bridgewater purchased a 5 million dollar policy that covered him if he was drafted late because of injury or illness. Insurance companies make these gambles all the time and 99 times out of a 100 they don't have to pay out.

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/04/29/teddy-bridgewater-insurance-policy-2014-nfl-draft