• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Free Agent Prospect Tyrann Mathieu Visits Saints; In “No Rush” to do a Deal

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Speculation continues to circulate around free agent Pro Bowl safety, Tyrann Mathieu, and where he’ll play next season. It was last reported that Mathieu was enticed by the idea of playing for Pittsburgh Steelers head coach, Mike Tomlin, but no offer has since been made.

Tuesday, Mathieu visited the New Orleans Saints, which I’m sure had all of Steeler Nation holding their breath. NFL Network‘s Ian Rapoport has reported however that Mathieu is in “no rush” to make a deal, and that he’s currently just focusing on family and getting in shape.

“He could’ve signed now. He could’ve signed already. He could’ve had plenty of offers. He wants to hold out for the right money. And he wants to hold out for the right team,” Rapoport reported.

When asked about his Saints visit and what he would want out of his next team, Mathieu responded with this:

“First and foremost, it’s a great opportunity with Dennis Allen stepping into the lead position. He’s a great defensive mind. I have a lot of respect for Mrs. Benson and the kind of things she does throughout the community. It’s a team I grew up watching. Any time I get to play in front of family and friends, it obviously gives me more energy. It would be a great opportunity if that was to come.”

Why the Steelers Make Sense​

According to general manager Kevin Colbert, the Steelers currently have every single starting position penciled in on their depth chart, except for one: safety.

With Terrell Edmunds continuing to test the free agency market, and the Steelers possibly gearing up to sign a long-term extension with Minkah Fitzpatrick, many believe this is the exact reason why bringing the “Honey Badger” to the Steel City would be a great move (as long as he’s willing to come at a decent price).

Fitzpatrick and Mathieu would easily become the NFL’s best safety tandem, and would sure up not just an overall successful free agency period in 2022 for the Steelers, but solidify an already Super Bowl caliber defense that still may have a question mark or two in their secondary.

Steelers safeties Minkah Fitzpatrick and Terrell Edmunds | Photo by Julio Aguilar / Getty Images

Steelers safeties Minkah Fitzpatrick and Terrell Edmunds | Photo by Julio Aguilar / Getty Images

With a conflicting report coming out Wednesday afternoon regarding Fitzpatrick, one can only assume that maybe the Steelers are wanting to sure up the safety position opposite of Fitzpatrick before signing him to an extension. With three First Team All-Pro selections, a Second Team All-Pro selection, three Pro Bowls and already a Super Bowl Champion, who better than Mathieu to solidify the Steelers’ back end.

We will keep you posted as Mathieu inches closer to his decision.

Discipline will guide you thru your next chapter.

— Tyrann Mathieu (@Mathieu_Era) April 5, 2022

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They will get Fitz deal started and finished on their time. Not when these hags reporting today say so.