• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Get Graded By ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. On Their Promising 2022 NFL Draft Class

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL as a whole wrapped up the 2022 NFL Draft on Saturday as rounds 4-7 were completed. For the first time in 53 years, the Steelers selected two quarterbacks in the same draft. They also selected two wide receivers in the same draft for the first time since 2013.

Steelers Complete 2022 Draft Class​

ROUND/PICK​
NAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/20​
Kenny PickettQBPittsburgh
2/52George PickensWRGeorgia
3/84DeMarvin LealDETexas A&M
4/138Calvin Austin IIIWRMemphis
6/208Connor HeywardFBMichigan State
7/225Mark RobinsonILBOle Miss
7/241Chris OladokunQBSouth Dakota State

The only hole that really stood out for the Steelers was wide receiver heading into the draft. There are receivers available still in the free agent market. But names like Odell Beckham Jr., and Jarvis Landry didn’t appear to be viable options for Pittsburgh. So, the Steelers did something that usually do well, draft receivers.

Steelers Kenny Pickett

With Terrell Edmunds signing a few days prior to the draft, the need for a safety dropped down to the same level of priority as other positions. That allowed the team to select the best player available. Though, judging by the signing of Damontae Kazee immediately following the draft, they may have wanted to add to that position, but none of their targets were available.

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. released his draft grades last night for every team in the NFL. This is what he had to say about the Steelers selections:

GRADE: B
Top needs: QB, OL, WR

Quarterback or no quarterback? That was the crucial question for the Steelers in this draft. Ben Roethlisberger had held down the position in Pittsburgh since 2004, so coach Mike Tomlin hadn’t worried about it since he took over the job in 2007. In the end — after Tomlin had a busy spring tour of seeing many of the signal-callers’ pro days — the board fell perfectly for the Steelers to get their guy and not have to trade up.

Note the italics above. I liked Malik Willis a little bit more than Kenny Pickett, but I can’t fault the Steelers for going with the local quarterback. My comp for Pickett? Some Derek Carr, some Andy Dalton. Teams can win with that. I don’t know that he’ll definitely beat out Mitch Trubisky in Year 1, and he doesn’t have the ceiling of Willis. But the important part is that the front office didn’t have to move up to get him, so this is solid value in a strange draft when Pickett was the only signal-caller selected in the first two rounds.

Wide receivers George Pickens (52) and Calvin Austin III (138) are nice replacements for JuJu Smith-Schuster and James Washington. Pickens is more of the Washington role — he’ll catch some fades down the sideline — while the diminutive dynamo Austin will line up mostly out of the slot and rack up yards after the catch. Defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal (84) looked like a future first-rounder at times in 2020, but he struggled for consistency last season. He has some versatility along the Pittsburgh front. Connor Heyward (208) is my top-ranked fullback in the class, and he’ll join his brother, Cam, in the black and gold.

This was the final draft for general manager Kevin Colbert, and he did a nice job plugging holes. If Pickett becomes a star, Colbert might have set up the Steelers for the next 15 years with this group.
Steelers Kevin Colbert

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert gets emotional during his final press conference as Steelers GM

It seems Kiper believes what most Steelers fans do. The draft obviously hinges on whether or not Pickett can help lead the Steelers deep into the playoffs. If he can’t, it will be considered a failure in a few years. An interesting note is that Kiper considered Connor Heyward to be his best full back available. After the draft, Kiper said he considered Heyward to be a fourth round pick, which was much higher than most had him ranked. I guess betting against a Heyward isn’t a smart thing to do.

The Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns both received B grades according to Kiper. The Baltimore Ravens were given an A. The Ravens draft was widely considered the best in the draft as they were able to select multiple potential starts in the first two rounds.

Do you agree with Kiper on his assessment of the Steelers’ draft? How do you think the team did overall? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Interesting that he called Connor his best rated FB. But I will disagree with saying Kenny's ceiling isn't as high as Willis. I mean sure that is a concern he is maxed out, but that is all it is an unknown. He doesn't have a limitation that makes me think that. Just a concern for how long it took him to show.

What the hell is this fascination with Liberty Biberty’s Malik Willis! The guy had to move on to Liberty where he put up OK numbers against much lesser talent.
I saw him in the senior bowl and frankly was not impressed, if you like QBs with a run first mentality then he’s your guy but as a passer, leaves lot to be desired. Has strong rocket like arm but too inconsistent for me.
It’s not how hard you throw it, it’s where you throw it, that’s a direct quote from HOF QB Dan Marino.
Kenny was the correct pick and will surprise many so called experts. Kiper sucks btw!

What the hell is this fascination with Liberty Biberty’s Malik Willis! The guy had to move on to Liberty where he put up OK numbers against much lesser talent.
I saw him in the senior bowl and frankly was not impressed, if you like QBs with a run first mentality then he’s your guy but as a passer, leaves lot to be desired. Has strong rocket like arm but too inconsistent for me.
It’s not how hard you throw it, it’s where you throw it, that’s a direct quote from HOF QB Dan Marino.
Kenny was the correct pick and will surprise many so called experts. Kiper sucks btw!
Yeah I don't get it either. Also he isn't that fast, he definitely is quick but no Uber athlete human joystick like Lamar Jackson. There's a reason he didn't run in the combine.

Liberty Biberty!

My wife’s friend’s husband thinks that commercial is making fun of white people and not just some supposed stupid actor/spokesmodel that can’t remember his lines.
Us white folk are fair game in todays world. We’re easy to make fun of. Seriously as far as the commercial, tell the guy it’s just some bad actor who is just too dumb to remember his lines.