• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Get Pair of Offensive Weapons in ESPN+ Mock Draft from Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Another day, another mock draft put out by ESPN. As we are rapidly approaching next week’s 2022 NFL Draft, Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay came together to draft the first three rounds, switching off each pick. The mock draft, released early Tuesday morning on ESPN+, was set up for Kiper to make all three picks for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The team has an abundance of needs heading into the draft so it’s hard to critique picks by position, but not necessarily by the player selected. Let’s take a look at his three selections at picks 20, 52 and 84 and analyze if they would be a good fit for Pittsburgh.

1. #20 – Kenny Pickett, QB – Pittsburgh​

Kenny Pickett in a Steelers Uniform

Kenny Pickett photo shopped into a Steelers uniform – Source Unknown for Credit

Will Pickett go higher than No. 20? Probably. But without trades and with the Saints getting two instant starters and forgoing a quarterback in this scenario, Pittsburgh is the most logical landing spot for him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he beat out Mitch Trubisky. – KIPER JR

This seems like a dream scenario for many fans due to Pickett’s ties to the city, but I am not sold on this selection or even Pickett’s ability to become a big name passer in the NFL. Almost every mock draft I read, analysts are forcing a quarterback to the Steelers in the first round. They have certainly done their homework and it is not out of the realm of possibility, but guys like Andrew Booth Jr., Tyler Linderbaum, and Devonte Wyatt, among others were still on the board for Kiper at 20. The Steelers would be much more inclined to select Malik Willis or even Matt Corral if one of them were on the board here. I don’t see Kevin Colbert taking Pickett with #20.

2.) #52 – John Metchie III, WR – Alabama​

Steelers Could Target John Metchie

Image via Alabama Athletics Photography

This is another pick I projected in my recent two-round mock. The Steelers need a slot playmaker after JuJu Smith-Schuster left in free agency. Metchie tore his ACL in December, but he could be healthy for training camp. – KIPER JR

Metchie is coming off a torn ACL which has hurt his draft stock a bit, but he is expected to be healthy for the start of the NFL season. Kiper notes that the team needs a replacement in the slot position with the departure of JuJu Smith-Schuster and he is correct. If the Steelers are sold on the idea that his knee is healing as expected, and even ahead of schedule, this would be an extremely tempting prospect to take here. Mecthie had 96 receptions that went for 1,142 yards and eight touchdowns in 2021. He was able to achieve such outstanding numbers in 13 games played. Steeler Nation‘s Matt Papiernik selected Metchie with his second round in yesterday’s 3M’s Monday mock draft.

3.) #84 – Coby Bryant, CB – Cincinnati​

Here’s another really solid Cincinnati defender, and it was Bryant, not Ahmad Gardner, who won the Jim Thorpe Award last season. Bryant doesn’t have elite straight-line speed, but he has good instincts and oily hips. He had seven picks over the past two seasons. – KIPER JR
Steelers Could Draft Colby Bryant

Photo / SportingNews.com

While Ahmad Gardner gets much of the credit for being a great cornerback for the Bearcats, Bryant has been arguably just as good in his college career with seven interceptions over the past two years. Bryant also won the Jim Thorpe Award in 2021 which is given to the top defensive back in football. This is however, a deep draft class at many positions including cornerback and the Steelers could go in a number of directions with this pick. He also did not have the most impressive combine.

All in all, I agree with the positions selected here by Kiper. One could argue an offensive lineman should be taken on days one or two and I wouldn’t disagree. Additionally, I am not totally sold on the specific picks of Pickett and Bryant, but Kiper has an idea of what the team needs and whatever order it were to go in, selections of a quarterback, wide receiver and cornerback would make the Steelers faithful happy.

Do you agree with the picks from Kiper in this recent mock draft? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..