• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers get Tuitt

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
Great value in the 2nd!! Finally fill that othe DE spot. So glad we didn't reach for a corner.

A 3-4 end who can pass rush... rare. Tuitt had 21.5 sacks and four forced fumbles in 35 career games

A 3-4 end who can pass rush... rare. Tuitt had 21.5 sacks and four forced fumbles in 35 career games

We've got two of them in Heyward and Tuitt. Not bad.

That'll be the headline in every sports section tomorrow.

So happy they choose the better of the two Fighting Irish D-Linemen...

nice pick...just have some concern about his foot...

Recently had surgery...

Do not want Nix...overated..

That'll be the headline in every sports section tomorrow.

Tuitt is physically a freak. He has first round talent, but plays at a position that isn’t valued as much as others. At Notre Dame he plays a 3-4 defensive end, but can play 0-5 techniques. He may be the most physically gifted player in this draft. I see him going anywhere between 15-40. This player would be a perfect fit for a team trying to convert from a 4-3 to a 3-4, but really he could play and start on almost every team in the NFL. He is stronger than any player who has tried to block him. At 6-6 he is difficult to see over and can bat down any sloppy passes. He is a smart player who will not let runners get outside on him. Not fooled by play action and sticks to his assignment. Shows a great combination of strength and smarts manipulating run blocking schemes even while being double teamed. Rare speed for a 315 pounder. Uses his hands well, definitely someone who roles his sleeves up and is ready to go to work. Very agile for his size. Along with Louis Nix III, it is easy to see why Manti Te'o and Prince Shembo have been successful in this defense. He closes on the ball carrier quickly. Really skilled at occupying blockers on run plays. The closer inside he gets the less confident he is. His height may be a deterrent inside where leverage matters. Can get fooled by tight end blocking down. Best attribute is keeping the runners inside. Needs to keep his center of gravity low. Ehren Nockels, Ourlads' Draft Analyst

Third year junior that has not declared for the draft yet, but I expect him to do so. Tuitt is one of the most unique players I have ever scouted. At his size, he moves exceptionally well when rushing the edge. Combining that with a top-level power grade leads me to the Richard Seymour-comparison. I am very careful about comparing players to Seymour, whom I believe was one of the top defensive linemen of his era. But Tuitt has that kind of body and movement ability, and I expect his services to be in high demand next spring. His power presence against the run and dynamic pass rush ability against the pass can be used in so many ways. He will likely end up in the top 15 on my sheet, and that is being conservative. Dave Syvertsen, Ourlads' Draft Analyst

This might be the most polarizing prospect we've taken high since Timmons. You talk about a guy with an on/off switch.. a guy who's great one day and invisible the next.. wow. He's as hot/cold as they come.

That's not the insult it seems to be. I think Tuitt is probably worthy of this slot. He, like Shazier, is an athletic freak but also not just a workout warrior. His 2012 was, at times, remarkable. He was a 5-tech guy playing around 305-315 and really, seriously owning some games. He's a physical specimen (usually), that's for sure. You look at him and think he's a 260-lb rush end. When he's in shape, he's built fantastically, with a ripped upper body and the legs of Joey Porter.

Problem is, in 2013 (and even at times during his awesome 2012), he was a different player. He put on some weight and sapped his quickness. His power fluctuated wildly. Simply put: just like Nix, he was often a one-on-one block. Now, he had the hernia thing before 2013. I can certainly understand a guy losing lower-body strength after lower-body surgery and recovery. But Tuitt doesn't seem like the type of worker who's going to effortlessly pack that power back on. And we've seen what happens when his weight fluctuates: his play does, too.

Also troubling is that I don't love the fit. I think Tuitt is a one-gapper at this point, plain and simple. I do not trust him in the slightest to suck up blockers. Yet another 4-3 pick here. That's fine with me if we're going to gravitate toward that as a base; we just don't have 3-4 personnel right now, and this personnel team is not adept in drafting 3-4 guys. At all. If we're going to pull a Hood and try to shoehorn Tuitt into a two-gapper and ask him to tie up blockers on most downs, then we're going to see Ziggy 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I don't hate this pick. I do think there's a solid chance he busts completely, but that's the "risk" in the term "risk/reward." I considered him a mid-second prospect and that's where we took him. I just liked some other guys more, guys with slightly less upside but better football players. More dependable. Davante Adams, for example, is going to be Anquan Boldin IMO. Still, I can get behind Tuitt. As TMC has been saying, I'd much rather swing and miss on an athlete than spend early picks on low-upside plodders.