• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers’ Hall of Fame RB Franco Harris Weighs in on Both Kenny Pickett and Najee Harris via 93.7 The Fan

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tuesday, legendary Pittsburgh Steelers‘ running back, Franco Harris joined 93.7 The Fan and weighed in on his experience announcing Kenny Pickett at the 2022 NFL Draft last Thursday night.

Harris, a Hall of Famer, 4x Super Bowl Champion, 1x Super Bowl MVP, 1x First Team All-Pro, 2x Second Team All-Pro, and 9x Pro Bowler, says he “couldn’t believe” Pickett was still available at pick No. 20 for Pittsburgh.

Steelers Franco Harris

Hall of Fame running back, Franco Harris announces first round selection at the 2022 NFL Draft. | Steelers.com

“Well first of all, I couldn’t believe that he was still available. Earlier in the week, I was asking people, ‘Hey, you think we can get Kenny?’ And they would say, ‘Oh, he won’t be available. There’s no way he’d be available.’ And it’s interesting how things worked out. He was available and wow, was it exciting we were able to get him.”

Harris continued and expressed what he’d be looking for to know whether Pickett was ‘ready’ or not come Week 1.

“His confidence and how he handles the huddle. Then everything comes with the decisions. Like myself, when I played in my first regular season NFL football game, I did ok during the preseason, but the first regular season game, I was like a deer in headlights.”

We know that head coach Mike Tomlin has already expressed that Pickett will have a chance to compete for the starting position this summer. We’ll just have to see if Pickett exuberates enough of that confidence Harris was talking about.

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin on QB Kenny Pickett Starting Week 1: “He has a chance”

Harris was also asked about Pittsburgh’s running back, Najee Harris. Najee set a new rookie rushing record for Pittsburgh after surpassing Franco for most yards in a first NFL season. Harris’ former record was 1,055 yards set in 1972, whereas Najee ended the 2021 season with 1,200 rushing yards.

“I was really impressed with his rookie year. Wow, he’s a tough runner, and really brings his game. He’s a great addition to our team and I’m one of these guys that believes a running game can take a lot of pressure off the quarterback. And you need to have that running game. And there’s no doubt that Najee, he brings it.”
Steelers Najee Harris Franco Harris

Alabama Running back, Najee Harris arrives in Pittsburgh. | Steelers.com

To watch the full clip of Franco’s interview, click here.

Do yinz think Pickett can be the Week 1 starter in Pittsburgh? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..