• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin Talks Ravens, Chiefs, and Injury Updates

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Coming off a tough and emotional game against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 18, playoff implications were at stake, and the Pittsburgh Steelers came out victorious! Head coach Mike Tomlin spoke with the media once again on Tuesday afternoon about just that, and what we can expect from the team this week.

Tomlin opened up his press conference addressing the latest injuries on the team. That included defensive back Arthur Maulet (concussion), rookie running back Najee Harris (elbow), inside linebacker Robert Spillane (knee), wide receiver James Washington (Reserve/COVID-19), rookie left tackle Dan Moore Jr. (ankle), and rookie center Kendrick Green (calf).

Harris, Spillane, Green and Moore are all expected to be limited to start the practice week, but coach Tomlin is optimistic about them all having a chance to play on Sunday. Maulet is currently in concussion protocol.

Tomlin later addressed his thoughts about the team’s latest win against Baltimore. He felt that defensive back, Cam Sutton‘s late-game interception and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger‘s late-game poise and play down the stretch aren’t getting enough recognition. For now however, Tomlin expressed that the team is simply living in the moment, but they haven’t forgotten about their Week 16 matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Tomlin started off talking about the Chiefs by first highlighting their special teams play and how they have a bunch of talented wide receivers in that department. He also made note of Chris Jones and former Steeler Melvin Ingram III on defense, as well as the versatility of the “Honey Badger” Tyrann Mathieu.

Last but not least, of course coach Tomlin mentioned quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, and the challenges he brings by extending plays for his team. The Steelers are very aware they will once again have their hands full, but aren’t shying away from this next opportunity to go on a possible Super Bowl run.

In some of his closing comments and answers to reporters’ questions, Tomlin was asked about his thoughts on the ending to the Las Vegas RaidersLos Angeles Chargers game:

“I missed the end of it, I dozed off. I knew I had a work day waiting on me. Or I assumed that I had a work day waiting on me. I think at one point, Oakland [Las Vegas] was up by 15 and that number made you somewhat comfortable. I’m probably better off not having watched it.”

Tomlin also expressed how impressed he’s been with center J.C. Hassenauer after he was asked about his play in recent weeks. He noted that offensive tackle Joe Haeg has been a “swiss army knife” with his ability to play multiple positions upfront (similar to his comments earlier in the season about rookie defensive back, Tre Norwood), and Tomlin also said that he’ll let the punting battle between Corliss Waitman and rookie Pressley Harvin III continue to play out this week.

Watch the full press conference here:

#LIVE: Coach Tomlin addresses the media ahead of our playoff game against the Chiefs. https://t.co/Kx4EoZpxQe

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) January 11, 2022

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Tomlin also said that he’ll let the punting battle between Corliss Waitman and rookie Pressley Harvin III continue to play out this week.
Yeah, in that battle, one guy has a cannon and the other has a peashooter. I wonder with whom Tomlin will go.

please Dress Davis at DT we need more beef in the middle
I think Wormley would be better off at De and a combo of cam and Adams playing the majority of the downs at DT, same for Mondeaux he is too light to play vs the run but has the quickness to pass rush so do it from DE rotating with Wormley.
DE Wormley DT Adams DT heyward DE High smith LB Watt LB Schobert spy Bush thats your front 7 base