• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Heading Back to Latrobe for Training Camp?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
For two seasons now the Pittsburgh Steelers have been forced to have training camp at Heinz Field, or the Southside facility, but that might be changing for 2022. With the league suspending all restrictions yesterday, the path for the Steelers to move camp back to St. Vincent College in Latrobe is now wide open.

It’s a widely known fact that none of the players, coaches, staff members, you name it want camp to move back to Latrobe. I mean, why would they want to, to be honest? Living in a dorm instead of living at your own place doesn’t sound appealing to anyone. But the one man whose opinion counts the most, is Art Rooney II. And it’s widely believed that Mr. Rooney intends to take camp back to Latrobe where his father laid roots for the Steelers many years ago.

The Steelers submitted a large plan last year to get back to Latrobe, but the NFL denied it mostly because there wasn’t enough space to be social distanced when needed.

“We are disappointed we won’t be holding our 2021 training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA,” spokesman Burt Lauten said in a statement last year. “We were prepared to safely host training camp on campus with fans, but unfortunately our plan was not approved due to the NFL’s COVID-19 protocols.

“We appreciate the support of Saint Vincent College and the Latrobe community, and we look forward to returning to campus in 2022.”

There has been no major announcement from the team, but expect it to come in the coming weeks. Planning has surely been underway for a reunion to Latrobe regardless of the NFL’s announcement yesterday. Now the road its wide open, and should happen. It will be great for the SteelerNation as they’ll be able to get back to practices and see whomever is their new quarterback in person.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think people like seeing the players practice, for free, in a picnic type of atmosphere. I think the players don't like staying in dorm rooms during that time.

But the entertainment is for the people. So carry on with Latrobe!

It is good for the Economy of Latrobe. the Blitz family happily pays $$$ to stay at the Spring hills suites in latrobe. in 2019 ran into Ryan Shazier late night and then Joe Greene the next day on the elevator.

I’m not going to feel bad if some players feel displaced for a 6 week period. This is how work “works” and I know many people who’ve had to do similar travel for work

Suck it up and deal with it. Being comfortable isn’t going to be what makes you grow

It is good for the Economy of Latrobe. the Blitz family happily pays $$$ to stay at the Spring hills suites in latrobe. in 2019 ran into Ryan Shazier late night and then Joe Greene the next day on the elevator.
The second part of this is the important part of getting back to Saint Vincent. It's a special experience for the fans that can't be replicated having training camp at Heinz Field. For some families, it's their only chance to see the team in person and the setting at SVC is just a cool place to sit and watch a practice. Whether it's traveling in and staying in town or going to Dino's or Sharkey's after practice, it's a great fan experience.

The second part of this is the important part of getting back to Saint Vincent. It's a special experience for the fans that can't be replicated having training camp at Heinz Field. For some families, it's their only chance to see the team in person and the setting at SVC is just a cool place to sit and watch a practice. Whether it's traveling in and staying in town or going to Dino's or Sharkey's after practice, it's a great fan experience.
Heinz simply doesn't hold a candle. It is an event every Steeler fan should experience at least once in their life. From the practices to the autograph interaction, to the Steelers store, some eats, various different sign up options for getting tickets to winning a Steeler truck. Children festivities...Then there is surrounding places to see. Latrobe is a pretty nice little snack shack.

Heinz simply doesn't hold a candle. It is an event every Steeler fan should experience at least once in their life. From the practices to the autograph interaction, to the Steelers store, some eats, various different sign up options for getting tickets to winning a Steeler truck. Children festivities...Then there is surrounding places to see. Latrobe is a pretty nice little snack shack.
My brother and I have been talking about going for the past 20+ years. Guess we'd better go soon before he gets any older. ;)

If "ROCKY" can stay in a barn in siberia while training in the winter, the ******* soft *** football players can suck it up and stay in dorm rooms while training.

Players Coach as well.

Salute the nation

agreed. just to add onto the stories. My kid and her friend several years ago used to run up and get those free candies at the front desk. us parents were out at the firepit.
they came out and was like who is this? Bince Williams had signed their terrible towel. They had a good talk with him.

I still remember going as a kid with my dad back in the 70's and early 80's. I have notebooks full of autographs. I even have Cliff Stoudt's autograph. LOL. But, I have some greats as well - Bradshaw, Blount, Shell, and Harris to name a few. It was great. Plus, my cousins lived just a few miles from St. Vincents. It was a great time when we went.

I still remember going as a kid with my dad back in the 70's and early 80's. I have notebooks full of autographs. I even have Cliff Stoudt's autograph. LOL. But, I have some greats as well - Bradshaw, Blount, Shell, and Harris to name a few. It was great. Plus, my cousins lived just a few miles from St. Vincents. It was a great time when we went.
It has changed considerably since then. More people less fan to player interaction. But still a good time. 👊

I am all for this team going back to Latrobe. Being in a different environment and not worrying about going home each night to distractions, does help you focus on tasks at hand. I think this is the best for young players, vets know how to do their job and stay in the league.