• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers’ New Defensive Approach Already Taking Shape

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers made a big splash with the signing of ex-Miami Dolphins Head Coach Brian Flores as the new Senior Defensive Assistant/Linebackers coach in Pittsburgh. With Flores being one of the most sought-after head coaching candidates in the NFL, this comes as a major positive addition to the Steelers’ coaching staff. Not only does Flores bring 14 years of NFL experience to the organization, he also brings elite coaching pedigree as a leader of championship teams in New England and orchestrating an impressive 180-degree attitude shift in Miami. But with that said, anytime you bring in a proven, big-name veteran into the coaching staff, one of the first questions asked is how the synergy is going to work between all the different contributors in their first season together? Well, it looks like General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin are constructing a very unique defensive staff to help address big post-2021 concerns.

To begin the already-eventful offseason, former-Defensive Coordinator, Keith Butler, announced his retirement back on January 22nd. This led to the promotion of then-Senior Defensive Assistant/Secondary Coach Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator. If we think back to Tomlin’s history, this path seems very similar to how he became a head coach; Secondary/Defensive Backs coach to Defensive Coordinator. However, where did Tomlin need, and had, the most help on his defensive coaching staff? Linebackers.

This is where I’m seeing the new defensive approach for 2022.

The Steelers are taking a two-prong approach towards the defense in 2022. With the proven secondary acumen between Austin and Tomlin, the back-end of the defense is set from a coaching perspective. While we have young Grady Brown now as the sole secondary coach, he’ll have enough support at the top to help him in putting together a solid rotation. Plus, with Minkah Fitzpatrick as a solid anchor in the secondary, the Steelers already have a base to build on leading into the 2022 season. But having a secondary-based defensive scheme is not going to help improve the rush defense; and this is where the second prong is taking shape.

In 2021, Steeler Nation saw some of the worst inside linebacker play in Pittsburgh in the past several years. Between Joe Schobert and Devin Bush, we never saw the inside linebacker corps reach its full potential and it showed specifically against the run. Although current Inside Linebackers Coach Jerry Olsavsky has established one of the best linebacker rooms in the league, he missed some time in 2021 after the sudden death of his wife and his absence was definitely felt. Olsavsky has built his success on the ‘next-man-up’ mentality and has been one of the best with it, but we didn’t see this in 2021 within the depleted depth of Ulysees Gilbert III, Buddy Johnson, and Robert Spillane. With Butler’s attention being more on the defense as a whole as opposed to solely linebackers, Olsavsky seemed to be left on an island with the inside linebackers and had trouble getting back into a groove after his absence. This is exactly where Flores is going to be critical.

Not only has Flores flourished in player development, but coaching development as well. To explore that, let’s look at Flores’ brief stint as a head coach in Miami. In 2019, the Dolphins’ defense was ranked in the bottom 3 under then-Defensive Coordinator Patrick Graham. In 2020, Josh Boyer joined Flores as another ex-New England Patriots coach at Defensive Coordinator. In just a single season, the Dolphins’ defense went from the third-worst in the league to a respectable, middle-of-the-pack, squad in 2020. To take a defense that allowed 30.9 points per game in 2019 to only allow 21.1 points per game in 2020, then 21.9 points per game in 2021 is an incredible feat in itself as a Head Coach (for reference, the Steelers allowed 23.4 points per game in 2021).

The point I am making in highlighting that is, Flores has proven he can take one of the worst defenses in the entire league and mold that into a respectable group. Therefore, this is going to be the new defensive mindset of the Steelers in 2022. Although Austin holds the Defensive Coordinator title, it is going to be a joint partnership between Austin and Flores with Tomlin mediating. Austin brings his proven secondary intellect while Flores brings some of the best linebacker coaching resumes in all of football. To take that a step further, the partnership between Flores and Olsavsky is going to be pivotal in getting Bush back to his normal self and recalibrating the inside linebacker corps. In addition, with the inside linebacker position already sitting towards the top of the Steelers’ shopping list this offseason, expect the arrival of either a big-name free agent, or the selection of one the top prospects in this year’s draft; or maybe both.

This new two-prong approach combined with the coaching synergy between Tomlin, Austin, Flores, and Olsavsky is going to result in one of the Steelers’ best defenses going into the 2022 season. We keep reiterating the fact that the Steelers are in ‘win-now’ mode, and it is looking like Colbert and Tomlin agree. I can’t wait to see the talent on the defensive side of the ball in Pittsburgh in 2022.

How do you feel about the Flores signing? What do you think he’ll do to improve the inside linebacker corps? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

How do you feel about the Flores signing? What do you think he’ll do to improve the inside linebacker corps? Let us know in the comments!
It depends. Will Tomlin listen to him if and when he tells Tomlin he's wrong?
Remember, Tomlin is in charge of the most points given up in three consecutive playoff games in NFL history.

Everyone says he will make our Defense better....great to hear but lets face it...this guy is crazy! I honestly think he's a bi-polar mental midget who could never cut it in the NFL but time will tell. Not a fan of this hiring....I hope I'm wrong but when I always hear in my head "THE STEELER WAY" bringing in a guy like Brian Flores is certainly not THE STEELER WAY that we have all come to respect and embrace. I feel like this franchise is losing it's identity and direction. I hope I'm wrong but that's my 2 cents! If I didn't know any better this just seems like Art Jr. doing Roger Goodell a favor and not further tarnishing The Shield of the NFL and bringing down the wrath of a Federal Investigation into the NFL's hiring practices. Expect Flores to drop his lawsuits in the next 30 days and this firestorm of Flores accusing Dolphins owner to tank games and all his other lawsuits to disappear. This was nothing more than a Payout/Cover-Up. Flores has lawsuits against the Dolphins, Texans, Giants & Broncos which are completely absurd and ridiculous! He's a NUTJOB!

I hope the new coach can bring some of what he learned up in cheaterville. 😉😉

Yeah, but no losing regular seasons man. Getting semi trucked in the playoffs is amazing.
His regular season record is pumped up by having the Browns and Bengals in our division. Until they both got good last year that was three guaranteed wins a year.
Face consistently good teams in the playoffs and he gets trucked.

I assume that by "defensive strategy shaping up" you're referring to the fact that Tomlin hires a bunch of guys that he can later blame when the defense continues to suck because Tomlin just calls his own garbage plays.

Soo what is Jerry O, going to do ?
I was wondering the same thing.

I hope Flores is the answer to every Steelers question mark. My suspicion is that we still have Tomlin, so we will suck. I can see the bungles being the top dog of the afcn for the next five years, give or take, and we suffer through Tomlin.

Until shades is gone, and only if the next guy plays smash-mouth football, we have walked away from our legacy.

That being said, Flores is in the black & gold, so I cheer for him.

It depends. Will Tomlin listen to him if and when he tells Tomlin he's wrong?
Remember, Tomlin is in charge of the most points given up in three consecutive playoff games in NFL history.

DESPERATION breeds.................................... HOPEFULLY a different way of being a head coach. Hands off some but HC won't completely leave things alone. Hell Coach Tomlin muttled in Dick Lebaue (sp) defense and drove him out.

I just hope we can overcome our fears both on the field and on our sideline.

Salute the nation

I was wondering the same thing.

I hope Flores is the answer to every Steelers question mark. My suspicion is that we still have Tomlin, so we will suck. I can see the bungles being the top dog of the afcn for the next five years, give or take, and we suffer through Tomlin.

Until shades is gone, and only if the next guy plays smash-mouth football, we have walked away from our legacy.

That being said, Flores is in the black & gold, so I cheer for him.

Well Said Djfan, well said.!

The team complacent comfort starts from the HC on down. The Franchise starts at the owner who has bought into the HC mystic bullshit. Replacing Tomlin could help change provided an aggressive type HC was hired to replace.

Unfortunately I don't know if current owner can get us back to the STEELERS WAY.

Salute the nation

His regular season record is pumped up by having the Browns and Bengals in our division. Until they both got good last year that was three guaranteed wins a year.
Face consistently good teams in the playoffs and he gets trucked.
Call bullshit on this one.

The Bengals put forth a competitive team — making playoffs in 7 of last 12 years. That’s equal to what the Bills, Jets, & Dolphins combined to achieve during same timeframe.

Consider the Ravens having a playoff team 9
times as well — 3 times since 2011 the AFC North had 3 teams qualify for the playoffs in the same season. No other division has done it more than once and equivalent to what the 7 other Divisions have managed to do combined.

Shades blew it badly in 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2020. Also they should have been a Division champion in 2018, and that’s a legit complaint. But saying they had it easy cuz of an easy couple wins each year is ridiculous

Call bullshit on this one.

The Bengals put forth a competitive team — making playoffs in 7 of last 12 years. That’s equal to what the Bills, Jets, & Dolphins combined to achieve during same timeframe.

Consider the Ravens having a playoff team 9
times as well — 3 times since 2011 the AFC North had 3 teams qualify for the playoffs in the same season. No other division has done it more than once and equivalent to what the 7 other Divisions have managed to do combined.

Shades blew it badly in 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2020. Also they should have been a Division champion in 2018, and that’s a legit complaint. But saying they had it easy cuz of an easy couple wins each year is ridiculous
Yeap every division has a doormat or two in some cases

But saying they had it easy cuz of an easy couple wins each year is ridiculous
I’m not saying they had it easy, I’m saying that’s a big part of where Shades’ hallowed “never a losing season” comes from. Dude has no losing seasons for 15 years but only 3 playoff wins in the last 11, with 2 against backup QB’s.

Soo what is Jerry O, going to do ?
I think Flores is going to be more involved in working with the front seven of the defense with Austin focusing on the secondary. I wouldn't go as far as to call them co-defensive coordinators, but believe both will have a significant role in designing and calling the defense. And yes, based on reports that would require to take a step back, which wouldn't be a bad thing.