• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers New Speedster Calvin Austin – “I pride myself on my knowledge of the game”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the 138th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to add another piece to an already talented WR room, drafting Calvin Austin III from the University of Memphis.

While Austin III is listed at 5’8″ and 170 pounds, he provides a new speed threat on the Steelers offense, posting a 40 time of 4.32 seconds.

Austin III led Memphis in receiving yards both in 2020 and 2021, finishing his collegiate career with 156 receptions for 2,541 yards and 22 touchdowns. He was also used as a threat in the special teams game, having returned two punts for touchdowns at Memphis, so it might be fair to expect Head Coach Mike Tomlin to use Austin III on kickoff and punt return.

We’ve seen NFL franchises utilize the agility and quickness of smaller receivers more and more in the past couple of seasons, so it’s no surprise that with the news surrounding current receiver Diontae Johnson’s contract situation, the Steelers drafted a guy like Austin III to complement the size and strength of receivers Chase Claypool and second-round draft pick George Pickens.

1C889BFF-227E-4B1B-B506-7EB84B9388DC-1024x683.jpeg

Second Round Pick George Pickens (DK.com)

The hope, however, is that Johnson stays with the Steelers and can be a mentor for Austin III, who has a similar skillset to Johnson’s.

NFL Draft Network’s Justin Melo asked Austin recently what are some things he’s learned to do pre and post-snap to help him gain leverage on the field.

I’m always paying attention to the cornerback’s leverage pre-snap. I pride myself on my knowledge of the game and my willingness to continue to learn and improve. That’s a big thing for me and I stand on that,” He told Melo. “I love learning about defensive back play and how I can manipulate my routes. I pay attention to leverage and how my man lines up pre-snap.

Is he gonna play things soft or is he aggressive? From there on out, I’m now in control of the route. I just have to decide if I’m going to use my suddenness and quickness off the line of scrimmage, or if I’m gonna be patient, go vertical, and then snap it off. It’s really all about how I can manipulate the route.

I’m constantly working on my breaks and releases. I trust in my work ethic and my plan of attack. I like to maintain control throughout the rep.

I expect the Steelers to utilize Austin III early in the kick and punt return game, and as he develops into a pro receiver, can be the type of player that can be used in various motion packages, in the slot, sometimes spread out wide (which he did at Memphis), similar to the way the Kansas City Chiefs would utilize star receiver Tyreek Hill on a bubble screen or jet sweep in a first down or third and short situation.

The Steelers are traditionally draft well at the wide receiver position, and I expect this year to be no different. Austin III is a welcomed addition to a stacked receiver room that along with running back Najee Harris and tight end Pat Freiermuth, will be able to attack any defense in the league.

Calvin Austin III, Steeler Nation welcomes you to Pittsburgh!

What do you guys think about the pick? What do you expect to see from Austin III this season and in the future? Let us know below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Okay, since hand size is now a thing ... Austin III has unusually large hands for a guy 5'8" - 9.25" For comparison, that's the same hand size at Metchie III and Jameson Williams.

I like the pick. Excellent athlete with lots of speed. Both Kenny and Mitch have very good short and intermediate passing game and this kid would work great for them in the slot.