• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Non Hall of Fame All-Defensive Team (Super Bowl Era)

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score

THIS LIST ONLY INCLUDES PLAYERS ELIGIBLE FOR THE HALL OF FAME (Super Bowl Era 1966 to 2016)​

Since the Super Bowl era started in 1966, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had 16 Super Bowl era players elected to the Hall of Fame. If you are a fan of Steeler Nation, you have undoubtedly heard the arguments against putting the entire 1970’s roster in the Hall of Fame and I believe it has produced some backlash and oversight that has affected some Steelers in more recent decades.

I have decided to put together an offensive and defensive all-time Steelers team of players who are eligible, but have not been elected to the Hall of Fame. Guys like TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, Ben Roethlisberger, and James Harrison will not appear since they are either active or not Hall-eligible yet. I will also only be looking at the time period of 1966-2016 since it is the class of 2017’s first year of Hall of Fame eligibility. This article is not meant to say everyone on this team should be enshrined, but a few of these players should jump off the page as egregious slights.

As with all things Steelers, it’s the defense first. I will use the 3-4 format, with a nickel corner. Here is my “they got done dirty” dozen:

Defensive End​

68 L.C. Greenwood (1969-1981) 2x First Team All-Pro, 6 Pro Bowls, 2nd Team HOF 1970’s Team

L.C. Greenwood sacked Roger Staubach in Super Bowl X four times. I recently re-watched this game and while I love Lynn Swann, I just cannot justify why he was not the MVP of this game. I wonder if he had won the MVP of that Super Bowl, would he be in the Hall of Fame?

91 Aaron Smith (1999-2011) 1 Pro Bowl

I loved watching Aaron Smith play football. Looking back as a 3-4 defensive end, he got very little love outside of Pittsburgh, only making 1 Pro Bowl. He was a key member of two Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl victories, but injuries hindered him for his last three seasons before hanging it up.

Nose Tackle​

98 Casey Hampton (2001-2012) 5 Pro Bowls

Casey Hampton was the quintessential 3-4 nose tackle. He bottled up the run for a decade for the Steelers defense and at times, seemed impossible to move. He was a member of three Steelers Super Bowl teams, winning two.

Linebacker​

34 Andy Russell (1963, 1966-1976) 7 Pro Bowls, 1x First Team All-Pro

Andy Russell was an all-time great and was part of the best linebacking group in Steelers history. I recently wrote about Russell’s HOF case, you can read about it here.

95 Greg Lloyd (1988-1997) 5 Prow Bowls, 3x First Team All-Pro, 1994 UPI DPOY

Greg Lloyd was bar none the most feared player in the game when he played for the Steelers. Outside of the Steeler Nation fan base, he did have a reputation as a dirty player. That reputation must be keeping him from the Hall because for 10 years, teams game planned for Greg Lloyd. The third Steeler defender on this list who belongs in the Hall.

92 Jason Gildon (1994-2003) 3 Pro Bowls, 1x First Team All-Pro

Jason Gildon retired as the Steelers franchise sack leader. He was a reserve player on the 1995 Super Bowl team, didn’t become a full-time starter until 1996, and he starred for the Steelers until 2003. He was a fearsome pass rusher who was also solid against the run.

51 James Farrior (2002-2011) 2 Pro Bowls, 1x First Team All-Pro

The Steelers historically draft and develop linebackers. Most of the best linebackers in franchise history came from within. James Farrior is a notable exception. In 2002, Farrior was brought in from the New York Jets and the rest is history. He became a 2x Super Bowl Champion and called the defense for those teams. A high motor 3-down middle backer in the finest tradition of the Steelers.

Cornerback​

24 Ike Taylor (2003-2014)

Ike Taylor may have been the best cover corner in football for a decade. Ike played the best receivers in the league, and he was the CB1 for three Super Bowl teams. Ike had 14 interceptions with legendarily bad hands. In a recent forum discussion, I posited that if Ike caught 1/3 of the interceptions he dropped, he would be a Hall of Famer. Raise it to half and we are debating him and Deion Sanders for the 2nd best cover corner of all-time.

24 J. T. Thomas (1973-1981) 1 Pro Bowl

If you wear 24 and play cornerback for Pittsburgh, you are destined to be overlooked. Playing as the CB2 to the GOAT Mel Blount has its price. He would have been a CB1 for virtually every other team in the league during his playing days and quarterbacks who looked away from Mel Blount found no safe harbor with J. T. Thomas.

49 Dwayne Woodruff (1979-1990)

Woodruff was a rookie in 1979 when the Steelers won their 4th Super Bowl. He played on special teams and occasionally saw the field on defense. He became a starter in 1981 through 1989 and was a consistent defensive back picking off 37 passes and scoring 3 touchdowns. He was not spectacular, but for a forgotten decade of Steeler football, he was a bright spot and solid cover corner.

Safety​

37 Carnell Lake (1989-1998) 5 Pro Bowls, 1x First Team All-Pro, 1990’s Hall of Fame 2nd Team

Carnell Lake is the 4th Steelers defender on my team who belongs in the Hall of Fame. I think he is overshadowed by Rod Woodson and the fact that while he primarily played safety, he also spent a couple of seasons at cornerback. He was a versatile hard-hitting safety who erased mistakes for a defense that was elite at times during the 1990’s. He also started 15 playoff games and was part of the 1995 Steelers Super Bowl team. The Hall of Fame agreed that the decade he roamed the field, he was one of the top four safeties of that time period. The other three of Leroy Butler, Steve Atwater and Ronnie Lott are all in the Hall of Fame. Lake should join them.

23 Mike Wagner (1971-1980) 2 Pro Bowls, 1x First Team All-Pro, 1x Second Team All-Pro

Mike Wagner was a steady force for the original Steel Curtain. He led the NFL in interceptions in 1973 and snagged 36 picks during his career. He was a good tackler, teammate, and he started 116 games for the Steelers while recording 3 sacks and 2 interceptions in his three Super Bowl wins. While he was an important member of the 1979 squad, injury kept him from a 4th appearance, but he did earn 4 rings.

That’s my team, Steeler Nation! What do you think? Please comment below or hit me up on Twitter or Instagram @thebubbasq.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Joe Haden, Larry Foote and Joey Porter could get an Honorable mention. Carnell Lake was just a great football player all around- I mean, very above average corner and safety

Lake was among my favourite Steelers back in the day. It can't be overstated how great he played at CB the year Woodson tore his ACL the first game of the season. Next man up indeed.

Lake was among my favourite Steelers back in the day. It can't be overstated how great he played at CB the year Woodson tore his ACL the first game of the season. Next man up indeed.
Had my authentic Lake jersey all of two years before he signed with then arch rival Jacksonville. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Joe Haden, Larry Foote and Joey Porter could get an Honorable mention. Carnell Lake was just a great football player all around- I mean, very above average corner and safety
We’ve been so fortunate to have many good to great players. I think of LaMarr Woodley, The Beard,heck a guy like Clark Haggans was an instrumental piece.

Funny hearing Jason Gildon up there for LB. when I first started coming to this site many moons ago,I’d say he was one of the most hated / disrespected Steelers of all time. Even when he was getting sacks,most on here at the time could not stand him. Lazy,lucky,just piled on.....got credit for tackles by falling ,you name it. Gilldong was his name on here.

Joey porter over Gildon… JG was a one trick pony and Porter was an impact player even in coverage at times…

Id be tempted to get Townsend in there too if you are using a slot corner… on the outside your list was better but Townsend was a beast inside before moving outside where he was adequate…

Its extremely stacked at DL and Lb.. I cant really argue with Russell or Farrior, but its a shame neither Kirkland or earl holmes had a spot…

Darren Perry, 32 interceptions in 110 games. Not many accolades but just solid play on the backside.

His ability to go from safety to corner and play like he did was a thing of beauty.

Joey porter over Gildon… JG was a one trick pony and Porter was an impact player even in coverage at times…

Id be tempted to get Townsend in there too if you are using a slot corner… on the outside your list was better but Townsend was a beast inside before moving outside where he was adequate…

Its extremely stacked at DL and Lb.. I cant really argue with Russell or Farrior, but its a shame neither Kirkland or earl holmes had a spot…

madinsoniac, Earl Holmes was a beast. When he played here I really like zeroing in on his play. He just was strong as hell and could tackle. Wasn't pushed around at all. I remember a reporter asked him if he was going to get a Erinie Holmes hair cut and he was pretty good natured about it but said "NO" with authority.

Salute the nation

His ability to go from safety to corner and play like he did was a thing of beauty.
Ironically it’s probably what is keeping him out of the HOF… he just started getting real national notice when they moved him and then his play was trivialized somewhat as a corner
Darren Perry, 32 interceptions in 110 games. Not many accolades but just solid play on the backside.
if tgey gave an iq award in the nfl Perry would have won it long before Troy had a chance to lol… that guy had the athleticism of a peanut but was always making plays…

They tried to recreate him with Brent Alexander years later , but he was just a step slow all the time…

Both him and his "gold" shoes needs to be in and hopefully soon.!

Salute the nation
Hate to say it, but L.C. Greenwood is unlikely to ever get in the HOF. His numbers were great for the time (less QBs even passing to get sacks) but combine
  • His voting history (got to be a finalist twice if not mistaken, but fell behind in the backlog quickly)
  • Shell getting the nod for the expanded class
  • Debates for Ward, Harrison happening/coming up
  • Anti-Steelers bias (some voters clearly think Steelers have enough representation and will not vote ..... Cowboys writer being one)
  • That LC passed away, he's just not going to be at forefront of peoples minds.

Screw this guy. I'll share future story that will explain why.

I'll be curious to read it. I only had so little access to media back in the day plus I lived a long way away so STEELERS stuff was hard to get. Once the internet finally got invented.................

Thanks in advance

Salute the nation

I don't think Gildon was a one trick pony at all. He simply had a quiet personality, which landed in between Lloyd, Greene and Porter.

That being said, the leadership of Lloyd and Porter in being outspoken is precisely what places them higher on my list. They were the driving force and catalysts of reaching the Super Bowl ten years apart.

Lloyd was so competitive, against San Diego one of our CBs (Alvoid Mays) intercepted Humphries. Being a reserve he fell to the ground as was obviously initially just thrilled to make the big play. But Lloyd grabbed him to pick him up and push him to run it back for a TD. Destroyed the Chargers that day.... like should have in 1994 AFC Championship. It was his acknowledgement of O'Donnell with postgame hug where the offense finally stepped up to cover for a bad defensive day that galvanized the team. And his post game quote in winning AFC Championship was classic.

Porter (Baby Lloyd) called out Indianapolis in playoffs for being soft. To outsiders, he was giving Colts something to post in locker room. In reality, he was challenging his own teammates to step up and have his back. The Steelers were ridiculous underdogs in that game and never understood why. Its not like the Steelers hadn't been even more of a Championship contender at the time. They proved to be better, and his motivation got the team through the playoffs and even calling out Jeramy Stephens was classic!

Leadership like that is organic and classic and valuable

The Steelers were ridiculous underdogs in that game and never understood why. Its not like the Steelers hadn't been even more of a Championship contender at the time. They
They were on the road. It was Payton Manning, and steelers had already lost to the colts during the regular season.

Dwight "Mad Dog" White. 2x Pro Bowl, 1x second team All Pro.

He was great until injuries started to wear him down in the second half of our four super bowls in the 70s. Came out of the hospital for the Steelers 1st super bowl victory after losing 20 pounds and scored Pittsburgh's first ever points in a SB with a safety. Steve Furness wasn't too shaby either.

They were on the road. It was Payton Manning, and steelers had already lost to the colts during the regular season.
Fine, they were on the road. People acting like they weren’t a championship level team that belong there was stupid