• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Non Hall of Fame All-Offensive Team (Super Bowl Era)

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have had two genuinely great quarterbacks and offenses in the Super Bowl era. The “run first, bombs away” Steelers of the 1970’s led by Terry Bradshaw, and the Big Ben Roethlisberger improvisational Steelers of the last two decades. The Steelers have produced pairs of great offensive players who ended up in the Hall of Fame. Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis and Mike Webster and Dermonti Dawson all reside in Canton. My selections for the Steelers Non Hall of Fame All-Defensive players had four players I believed should be in the Hall of Fame. The Steelers greatest offensive weapons with few exceptions are either in the Hall of Fame or will be someday soon. I will be selecting 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 5 linemen and 1 QB.

Here is my Steelers offensive “done dirty” dozen:

Tackles

79 Larry Brown (1971-1984) 1 Pro Bowl

Larry was a 5th round draft pick in 1971 as a tight end out of Kansas. He would play sparingly for the Steelers for six years until he converted to right tackle in 1977 where he would earn his one and only Pro Bowl appearance. He earned respect as a converted tackle and cleared the way for the Steelers running game in two Super Bowl wins.

55 Jon Kolb (1969-1981) 1 Pro Bowl

Kolb was picked in the 3rd round in 1969. He was the starting left tackle in Pittsburgh for a decade. He blocked for the Steelers in 1976 with a backup QB playing half the season. They helped produce two 1,000-yard rushers. He also came in 4th in the World’s Strongest Man contest in 1978 and ’79.

Guards​

57 Sam Davis (1967-1979)

Sam Davis was an undrafted rookie who survived the Chuck Noll purge in 1969 and started 114 games for the Steel Curtain teams of the 1970’s. Like his teammates Brown and Kolb, he got very little recognition, but just did his job as a 4x Super Bowl winner, clearing holes and pulling for Franco Harris in the “Steeler trap.”

73 Craig Wolfley (1980-1989)

Craig Wolfley was a gifted pulling guard at 6 foot 1 and 265 pounds, and while he never made a Pro Bowl, Steelers fans of the 1980’s remember his solid play alongside Tunch Ilkin. The 1980’s Steelers were an up and down bunch, but Wolfley, who was quite the character, was someone they could rely on for above average play. In 1981, he placed 5th in the World’s Strongest Man contest, 2nd in the first ever pro-sumo wrestling event in North America, and lost a 4 round fight to fan favorite, Butterbean.

Center

64 Jeff Hartings (2001-2006) 2 Pro Bowls, 1x First Team All-Pro, 1x Second Team All-Pro

The Steeler center is a hallowed position in the NFL with Hall of Famers Mike Webster, Dermonti Dawson and likely Maurkice Pouncey. It is one of the truly elite offensive line spotlight positions. Hartings did an outstanding job in his six seasons in the Steel City. He was the center for the 2005 Steelers Super Bowl team.

Tight End

83 Heath Miller (2005-2015) 2 Pro Bowls, Runner Up AFC Rookie of the Year

Heeeath! He was the quintessential tight end. A great run blocker when tight ends either became blockers or offensive weapons, but rarely both. He had great hands, and whenever the Steelers needed a big first down, Heath always came up big. He caught 592 passes (349 of which were good for first downs). He will not make the Hall of Fame because of the era, but the Steelers Ring of Honor should be a no brainer.

Running Back

39 Willie Parker (2004-2009) 2 Pro Bowls

Fast Willie Parker burst onto the scene for the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in the 2005 season becoming the starting halfback for the eventual Super Bowl winners. His 75-yard run was one of the most electrifying Steeler Super Bowl moments in their eight appearances. Three straight 1,000-yard seasons and just like his nickname, he tailed off in his age 28 season. At the age of 29, he helped the Steelers as a backup win their 2nd Super bowl of the decade and then he was gone.

20 Rocky Bleier (1968-1980)

A 16th round pick out of Notre Dame, Bleier served in Vietnam and then struggled his way six years later to the starting fullback position, which he occupied full-time for five seasons. In 1976, he and Franco Harris rushed for 1,000 yards in the same season. Despite being a fullback, he is the 9th leading rusher in the history of the Steelers franchise.

Wide Receiver

86 Hines Ward (1998-2011) 4 Pro Bowls, Super Bowl XL MVP, 3x Second Team All-Pro

Hines Ward should be in the Hall of Fame. He has 1,000 career catches, 85 touchdowns and is quite simply the best blocking wide receiver of all-time. He played the game with a smile on his face and a chip on his shoulder. He asked for no quarter and gave none. Like Greg Lloyd on defense, he is plagued with the reputation of a “dirty player.” I saw nearly every snap of his career and I do not share the perception. Canton needs to fix this oversight.

83 Louis Lipps (1984-1991) 2 Pro Bowls, 1984 Rookie of the Year

“What could have been” should have a poster of Louis Lipps above its slogan. He was a great punt returner and a solid deep threat, and if he had played with a top half of the league quarterback, who knows just how productive he could have been. He managed his only 1,000-yard receiving season in Chuck Noll’s last AFC Championship Game season and nearly reached it on two other occasions. He averaged 16.8 yards per reception for his career.

10 Santonio Holmes (2006-2009) Super Bowl XLIII MVP

Santonio Holmes’ stay in Pittsburgh was short, but ended with a bang. His 2009 season, he produced 79 catches, 1,248 yards, and a catch for the ages. Holmes begs the question, what if he had stayed in Pittsburgh with Ben Roethlisberger? Does he stay the unquestioned Number 1 stunting the growth of Antonio Brown in the process? He never produced at the level he achieved with Pittsburgh, though he did stick in the league through 2014, but the remainder of his career was marred by injury.

Quarterback​

8 Tommy Maddox (2001-2005) 2002 NFL Comeback Player of the Year

I chose Maddox over the multitude of quarterbacks not named Bradshaw and Roethlisberger for one reason. He was clutch, and Myron Cope coined one of my all-time favorite nicknames calling him “Tommy Gun.” He was drafted in the 1992 NFL Draft in the first round to eventually replace John Elway, but he failed to deliver. He bounced around as a backup before he relieved Kordell Stewart as a starter in 2002 and went on a magical ride to the playoffs, capped with a miracle comeback in the playoffs against the Cleveland Browns. Not to mention his injury gave Ben Roethlisberger the chance to play as a rookie. He was a steady influence for the young signal caller and got a ring in his final season as Ben’s backup.

That is my list, Steeler Nation? What do you think? Please comment below or follow me on Twitter or Instagram @thebubbasq.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Tommy Gun is an interesting pick. Yancy Thigpen, Mark Brunner, Tunch Ilkin all should get a nod for honorable mention. There were a stable of solid running backs as well- maybe Mewelde Moore idk. He was always Mr Reliable on 3rd down and filled in nicely for injuries.

Tommy Gun is an interesting pick. Yancy Thigpen, Mark Brunner, Tunch Ilkin all should get a nod for honorable mention. There were a stable of solid running backs as well- maybe Mewelde Moore idk. He was always Mr Reliable on 3rd down and filled in nicely for injuries.
Id take foster over Moore, but not over the two selections above….

Also no fullback? I think that is a mistake… tim lester or dan krieder would be a solid debate

The only guy i might throw in the offensive line mix is duval love… who made a pro bowl then took the big payday off Arizona to close out his career, but honestly the two picked are probably slightly more worthy

I think you need to consider Leon Searcy at tackle. I'm probably going O'Donnell or Kordell at QB.

Hasslerig was a monster. He'd be a G on my team for sure.

Ray Mansfield is the only other choice for Center as well. Was one of the few great players from the 60s teams that Noll kept and he won the first 2 superbowls while starting at center for over a decade.