• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers' Omar Khan Is Gambling On 'Moneyball' To Jumpstart Roster Overhaul In 2023

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
For generations, the Pittsburgh Steelers have built a strong reputation on a foundation of development. Using a historic scouting method, coaches and scouts knew what to look for in young prospects and free agents that no other team seemingly had. Steelers’ Hall of Fame scout, Bill Nunn, proved to be the spearhead of their unique scouting blueprint in the earlier days of the franchise. Through that, he was pivotal in the creation of the Steelers’ dynasty of the 1970s. Since then, the Steelers have shown they will not leave any stone unturned in their hunt for the right talent to effectively play up to the Steelers’ standard.

READ MORE

They didn't stockpile with a lot of high dollar signs. Hi Ben. They just brought more competition to the room and better overall depth while attempting to fortify the lines. I like the approach I don't look at it as trying to buy a championship. I look at is as shoring up much needed weak areas of the roster. Some teams top dollar it and that is their solution. You want to spread it out to get that depth more injury recovery capable. For the most part I think that was accomplished albeit a few position groups.

They didn't stockpile with a lot of high dollar signs. Hi Ben. They just brought more competition to the room and better overall depth while attempting to fortify the lines. I like the approach I don't look at it as trying to buy a championship. I look at is as shoring up much needed weak areas of the roster. Some teams top dollar it and that is their solution. You want to spread it out to get that depth more injury recovery capable. For the most part I think that was accomplished albeit a few position groups.

Definately slash, this draft was a big part of the overall battlement of the team. This needed to be done 5 years ago, but Tombert were in their own little laLAla land. New blood at GMs and a fresh approach is hoping to look like miracle workers on the front lines (dual meaning intended).

Salute the nation

I would say he took some risk with injured players. But I disagree with article. The core of this team is Watt, Minkah,, Heyward, Pickett, DJ, Harris, Pickens. This is not a moneyball team.
Agree, add Muth to that core. The kid is heading to a probowl sooner tan later

So we have a core on offense with Pickett/Harris/Pickens/Muth that all kinda fit money ball only cuz they are all first contract guys which are always cheap
Hopefully add Jones at LT into that group too

But on D we are definitely not playing money ball with what we pay out, only a couple cheap stop gap guys and the rest are getting paid

I would say he took some risk with injured players. But I disagree with article. The core of this team is Watt, Minkah,, Heyward, Pickett, DJ, Harris, Pickens. This is not a moneyball team.
Right on the Money...That would be our Beloved Buccos

"For generations, the Pittsburgh Steelers have built a strong reputation on a foundation of development". This says it all - they no longer develop players and have to depend on finding proven players as best they can.

"For generations, the Pittsburgh Steelers have built a strong reputation on a foundation of development". This says it all - they no longer develop players and have to depend on finding proven players as best they can.

Our previous two coaches seemed to have the ability to develop talent.

Our current coach seems to have a harder time developing talent, so as we have to go out and bring in proven talent.

Salute the nation

Our current coach seems to have a harder time non-existent ability developing talent, so as we have to go out and bring in proven talent. Fixed it for ya

A lot has changed in the world, sports, college athletes in the last 40 years. So much so that I just something about Jerome's 5 year 5million contract in 1996 (or thereabouts).

Are all teams that mixed with original draft picks and players from other teams?

Our current coach seems to have a harder time non-existent ability developing talent, so as we have to go out and bring in proven talent. Fixed it for ya
In fairness Tomlin did have the top RB and WR on the same offense a few years ago, a 5th rounder and a 2nd rounder. Nobody expected Bell and Brown to be #1 coming out of college.

In fairness Tomlin did have the top RB and WR on the same offense a few years ago, a 5th rounder and a 2nd rounder. Nobody expected Bell and Brown to be #1 coming out of college.
Brown was a 6th rounder.😉