• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Passed on Re-Signing JuJu Smith-Schuster

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It seems hard to believe, but the Pittsburgh Steelers voluntarily let JuJu Smith-Schuster walk out the door. It’s the only option that makes sense when you look at the facts of the situation. Kevin Colbert, and Mike Tomlin said the right things when they spoke about re-signing Smith-Schuster this off-season.

“You think he’s 32 years old and he’s (25),” Colbert said at the NFL Combine . “He’s that veteran in that very young room. … JuJu has been a great player for us. He’s still a young player, as well, so we’ll definitely take that look.”

But now looking back at that quote it takes a different tone. They obviously took a look, and didn’t think enough to offer him more than the 3.25 million that he got from Kansas City. Now the deal was reported as a one-year contract worth 10.25 million, but after the contract details were released it broke down more simply to a one-year deal for 3.25 million.

Only 2.49 million of the 3.25 million base deal was guaranteed at signing. Meaning that the Chief’s could release Smith-Schuster tomorrow and only be on the hook for that 2.49 million. In comparison Robert Spillane, Dwayne Haskins, and Marcus Allen all received tender offers from the Steelers for nearly the same amount.

According to Pro Football Talk who reported more of the contract details today, Smith-Schuster’s contract includes roughly 7.5 million in incentives. Most of those incentives are tied into the Chiefs reaching the AFC Championship game, and ultimately the Super Bowl. There’s also workout bonuses, and weekly game bonuses that would eventually boost the base salary from the 2.49 million to the 3.25 million.

It’s an easy choice for Smith-Schuster to head to the Chiefs to play with Patrick Mahomes over Mitchell Trubisky. If the contract was the only thing we had to go on we could just assume that the Steelers offered to match that deal, and Smith-Schuster just chose to take Mahomes and the Chiefs loaded roster instead. You could even consider that he wanted a fresh start after a challenging season. But that’s where his mother Sammy Toa-Schuster comes into play. (Amazing lady let me add)

On instagram, JuJu Smith-Schuster’s mom says JuJu wanted to stay in Pittsburgh and “fought to stay” — but the Steelers wanted to go in another direction. pic.twitter.com/TA6OmKJP8k

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) March 20, 2022

She claims that Smith-Schuster ‘fought to stay in Pittsburgh’ and the Steelers ‘had a new boyfriend in mind’. If it’s true that the Smith-Schuster camp fought to stay in town then the Steelers flat out just didn’t want him. Which seems very strange, but they could’ve easily signed him for what he ended up with in Kansas City.

It’s unclear who the Steelers would be eyeing from a wide receiver stand point. They have a pretty large whole at the position as they sit today. It’s clear they will likely draft a receiver. If they would’ve wanted someone else they probably would’ve already made that happen. They didn’t exactly sit on their hands this past week.

The Steelers need a boat load of talent in the receiver room. Smith-Schuster would’ve at least given the Steelers a solid top 3 with Diontae Johnson, and Chase Claypool But they apparently just wanted other things.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

hey. mom. sit down and be quiet, nobody asked you.

giphy.gif

get Landry and maybe Cole and add 2 WR via draft I would take a look at both Coastal Carolina targets TE Likely and Hielgh Likely is a huge lanky TE who could possibly be converted to wr and used on the outside for jump balls and even slants like Graham and Gronk. Javon is a wr about as big as juju but fast and can seperate.
the only way I consider Julio is 2 mill base and 1-2 incentive based as his turf toe at his age leaves him a 50/50 week in n out. Maybe playing on grass at hienz would help as opposed to the dome field turf as well as the titans crappy field turf ebron has no offers would not mind him back to play in the slot for 1.2

Hopefully, their infatuation isn't with DJ. They have to keep him but do not overpay for him. Tag him next year, if needed. Draft a guy this year and next (or a FA), if needed. $15 million is the very top I would go for DJ.

There has been a TON of smoke about wanting to get Landry and draft a kid so im guessing the insiders aren’t blowing smoke

Hopefully, their infatuation isn't with DJ. They have to keep him but do not overpay for him. Tag him next year, if needed. Draft a guy this year and next (or a FA), if needed. $15 million is the very top I would go for DJ.

I think that 15 mil is where they go with him but to get there there will be a few incentive clauses. It seems the league is starting towards that direction and I don't blame them. It seems that once these guys get the contract $$$BIG$$$ they tend to coast. The incentives will assist in keeping the hard drive in tact.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
Whether Pitt or KC, it will be a prove it year for JuJu coming off the injury from last year, and it will be easier for him to do that with Mahomes and company.
I wish him well.

This is disappointing. We now have 2 legitimate receivers on the roster and doing nothing in free agency at the position. Now we are forced to take a receiver or 2 in the draft when we needed OT, CB and DL way more. Bad move.

This is disappointing. We now have 2 legitimate receivers on the roster and doing nothing in free agency at the position. Now we are forced to take a receiver or 2 in the draft when we needed OT, CB and DL way more. Bad move.
You think they are forced into it. I don't know about that. I think they would have taken one early even if they signed JuJu. It seems they like to take receivers early. It has nothing to do with being forced.

For the past 2 years he has had trouble getting separation....JUJU just wasn't getting open, we need a guy with speed...
I don’t get this. Dude played in slot and Ben threw it after 2.5 seconds.

Not even Usain Bolt would get separation in that scheme.

Uh? Which two legitimate receivers are those?

We have 2 receivers but no leader in the WR room. That is going to be a problem. I don't think there is a veteran FA they can bring in to help out in that department either. They better have a damn good WR coach and someone needs to step up.

I don’t get this. Dude played in slot and Ben threw it after 2.5 seconds.

Not even Usain Bolt would get separation in that scheme.
I was going to say that it's pretty hard to get much separation when you're running patterns a few yards from (or behind) the line of scrimmage 80 or 90 percent of the time. The contract KC gave Smith-Schuster is peanuts for an established veteran receiver.

We hung out with him on two Steelers cruises -- he was the friendliest player by far, even brought my boys drinks (non-alcoholic of course!) at the pool. We'll share those great memories forever. Thanks JuJu, and best of luck...you're one of the good ones.