• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers’ Quarterback Battle Could Be Heating Up Even More

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the retirement of Ben Roethlisberger — the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers for nearly two decades — in the rear view mirror, the franchise has now turned to a few younger faces to carry on the Steelers’ tradition of winning. In the running are many former first-round talents, including former first-round draft picks Mitch Trubisky and Dwayne Haskins and former third-round pick, Mason Rudolph.

Even though the team has indicated no clear starter, many assume Trubisky will get the starting nod in Week 1; however, with the draft just weeks away now, the Steelers’ quarterback battle could get even more intense heading into fall camp. The name that seems to keep reappearing in Steelers-related draft talks is Malik Willis. Willis, who served as the firepower behind Liberty University’s offense since 2020, has undoubtedly caught the attention of head coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert.

Colbert, who drafted Ben Roethlisberger in the 2004 NFL Draft, will be retiring following this year’s draft. Keeping that in mind, it may make sense that the legendary GM may try to draft the team’s next franchise quarterback before leaving the team. Some would describe this as a “legacy move,” however, others would say he is just leaving the team in a better spot than when he found it.

After recently signing Mitch Trubisky to a two-year, $14M deal, the Steelers will still have a starting quarterback on the roster regardless of their choices in the draft. Though the team has stated that Trubisky will have to earn the job before taking it from the other two QBs on the roster, he is not facing very tough competition and is better in the Steelers’ offensive scheme than Haskins or Rudolph.

Malik Willis, however, does fit the scheme as well and could be a threat to Trubisky if the Steelers can acquire him through the draft. The draft’s other two star quarterbacks, Matt Corral and Kenny Pickett, also fit in the offensive coordinator, Matt Canada’s scheme. With many options and diversity under center, the Steelers may have a heated quarterback battle heading into the coming season.

Do you think the Steelers may decide to draft their next franchise guy this season, or will Trubisky, Rudolph, and Haskins battle it out for the QB1 spot? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Of season and speculation, flowers everywhere.

Salute the nation

I might have a draft celebration when someone besides the Steelers drafts Willis. I will double it up if they manage not to draft a QB in 1.

I might have a draft celebration when someone besides the Steelers drafts Willis. I will double it up if they manage not to draft a QB in 1.

That screaming and hooting will be celebration noise about 1500 miles west of you should your statement prove to be true.

Salute the nation

I’d love to see a vet SS brought in predraft as well.

Would also hate to see Edmunds ver 2.0 reaching for a need, second worst option to a QB reach.

A drinking game might be in order.

Do a shot every time Mel Kiper says the word "quarterback." Okay, no, we'll all be dead from alcohol poisoning by pick 5.

Do a SIP every time Kiper says the word "quarterback." Still no good - might make it to the Steelers' pick, but probably not.

Do a sip every time Kiper says the word "athlete." Nope, again, we'd all be hospitalized before the night is over.

@#$% it, just drink as usual and mock Mel Kiper relentlessly.