• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Quarterback Kenny Pickett Says Mason Rudolph and Mitchell Trubisky Reached Out; Ready To Learn From Them

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a three headed monster coming to Latrobe at the end of July. That monster will be the competition between Kenny Pickett, Mason Rudolph, and Mitchell Trubisky. It’s been many years since the Steelers legitimately had three quarterbacks that could be a starter in the NFL. Some would argue that Rudolph has no business being an NFL starter, but the fact remains he’s won games as a starter.

With that competition comes the possibility of animosity amongst the group. In today’s day and age of the NFL where trades are as common as they’ve ever been, when a player doesn’t win a job, or is just upset that a team is thinking about trying to replace them they request a trade. The Steelers ran into that issue a few years ago when they drafted receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster. Then receiver Martavius Bryant famously tweeted out that he wasn’t his replacement, but another player.

Steelers Kenny Pickett and Art Rooney
Pittsburgh Post Gazette srcset="https://www.steelernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/kenart-1024x890.jpg 1024w, https://www.steelernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/kenart-300x261.jpg 300w, https://www.steelernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/kenart-768x668.jpg 768w, https://www.steelernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/kenart.jpg 1380w" sizes="(max-width: 1000px) 100vw, 1000px" />

So far it doesn’t seem like there is going to much of an issue between the three quarterbacks. When the Steelers signed Trubisky he invited Rudolph to his place in Florida to work out. Rudolph didn’t attend, but that could’ve been for a variety of reasons, not because he was mad. Now it appears the current Steelers quarterbacks welcomed the newest one in with open arms.

I have, yeah,” Pickett said about whether he’d heard from Trubisky, and Rudolph. “They both reached out and I actually told Mitchell, I don’t know if he remembered it, but senior year he called me. He was trying to recruit me to North Carolina. So it goes kind of full circle. Two great guys. I’m really looking forward to working with them.

He continued by saying that he is excited to learn from his competition and see how he can incorporate the things he’s learned into his game.

There’s something I can take from somebody’s game. I’m always going to do that. That’s why I’m excited to get to learn from Mason and Mitch and see what they do well and see if I can incorporate that with what I do. So you’re always learning, you’re always evolving. So I’m looking forward to doing that.

Trubisky and Rudolph each have a little bit of a different experience in the NFL as being a back-up. Trubisky was the number 2 overall selection and was thrown into the starting lineup midway through his first year. Rudolph of course was drafted in the third round only found the field when Ben Roethlisberger was injured.

Trubisky went to Buffalo for one year and served as Josh Allen’s back up. He loved his time in Buffalo and had a solid relationship with Allen. Rudolph and Roethlisberger? It’s been an icy relationship that has been smoothed over publicly. Roethlisberger wasn’t happy when the Steelers drafted Rudolph, and while we don’t know how much he helped Rudolph it’s safe to say they’re not going to be hanging out at his place. When Roethlisberger retired we saw videos congratulating him on a wonderful career from many players. Not one word from Rudolph.

Pickett says he’s ready to learn from everyone in Pittsburgh and get to competing the starting spot.

As soon as possible to be able to start any competitor? Absolutely. But I know how to be a great team man, how to go about my business. I’m really excited to learn from those guys. Like I said, all great people in the building. That’s something I’ve known since I’ve been at pit. So it’s just I’m excited to be a part of this organization and compete and work towards winning a Championship.

Pickett said he’s excited to get into the building to meet the rest of his teammates. And that it’s exciting to work with such a young team and grow together.

Yeah, it’s really exciting. Like you said, there’s a long list of great players here so I’m excited to get involved and meet those guys, learn what they do really well and like I said, help us win a Championship here.

WATCH THE WHOLE PRESS CONFERENCE

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..