• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Receiver Room For 2022 Considered To Be One Of The Most Improved Units Across the NFL

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers lost receivers left and right when free agency started back in March. Quickly one of the teams’ strengths turned into one of their most glaring needs. Hindsight is 20-20 now, but heading into the 2021 season, the Steelers’ receiving core was much worse than it had been in previous seasons. Just no one knew it yet.

James Washington was supposed to be the player that rounded out the core of Diontae Johnson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Chase Claypool. But that never materialized. Even after injuries to Smith-Schuster and tight end Eric Ebron, Washington still couldn’t find the field. Even before Smith-Schuster’s injury in Week 5, he had a measly 15 receptions for 129 yards. Claypool dealt with mental hurdles all season, and before Steeler Nation knew it, it was the Ray-Ray McCloud show.

Steelers Chase Claypool

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

The Steelers went out and signed All-Pro return man Gunner Olszewski who is a receiver, but he hasn’t shown a lot during his time in the NFL at that position. He had 9 receptions total in 3 seasons with the New England Patriots. They have two names that most fans would recognize in Anthony Miller and Miles Boykin, but both have had up and down careers thus far. Miller spent last season on the Steelers’ practice squad and wasn’t able to beat out Cody White for playing time down the stretch. Miller is a former second round pick who has a season with 60+ catches on his resume.

General manager Kevin Colbert clearly wasn’t at all comfortable with that room. The Steelers had 7 selections in the draft, and he choose two receivers in their first four picks. Both with different skill sets, but both with very high ceilings. Pro Football Focus loved the Steelers’ selections and named the Steelers’ receiver room as one of the most improved units from all teams after the draft.

This is what they had to say:

Wide receiver had quietly become a need in Pittsburgh with JuJu Smith-Schuster heading to the Kansas City Chiefs and Diontae Johnson scheduled to hit free agency in 2023. As they’ve done consistently over the past decade, the Steelers reloaded at the position on Days 2 and 3 of the draft.

Georgia’s George Pickens could have very well been a top-15 selection had he not torn his ACL prior to last season. He was one of the most talented wide receivers in this class and a potential starting “X” receiver who got pushed down boards due to injury and maturity concerns.

Pickens’ ability to win at the catch point and haul in any catchable ball thrown his way will be a welcome addition to an offense that has dropped more passes than any other team in the NFL (75) over the past two years.

Memphis’ Calvin Austin III is a very different receiver than Pickens stylistically. He’s 5-foot-8 and 170 pounds with 30-inch arms, so the Steelers need to use him creatively. But it’s not difficult to see him having an impact in Pittsburgh as a sudden, crafty route-runner and dynamic athlete with the ball in his hands. A 4.32-second 40-yard dash and 11-foot-3 broad jump is the kind of juice that a player of Austin’s size needs to stick in the NFL. He can create problems on jet motion, too, which is a massive part of Matt Canada’s offense.
Steelers Receiver Picks

Steelers rookie receiver George Pickens makes a catch verses Alabama (Curtis Compton/AJC)

George Pickens was the Steelers target from the beginning. Had Pickens not been injured late in 2020 and missed most of the 2021 season, he likely would’ve been selected early in the first round. He’s big and physical and isn’t afraid to get dirty.

Calvin Austin III fell down the board slightly into the fourth round. If he was only a few inches taller, he may have been the first receiver selected, but he 5’8″. The Steelers’ receivers coach, Frisman Jackson said however that Austin plays taller. That on field he’s able to high point the ball against taller defenders and still come down with it. And as PFF said up above, Matt Canada loves motion, and Austin should be able to help with all of the pre-snap movement with teams having to be aware of his speed if they do run a jet sweep.

Steelers Stole WR Calvin Austin III 1 Pick Before Ravens Were Set To Select Him

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I'm not sure how, Two rookies with zero NFL snaps... If it said 'Unit with most potential' I could agree.

All the whining ******* gonna **** when we got an aerial game that ***** teams up...

We ******* teams up this year *******...

Thank you for showing just how much attention you pay to what's going on. He may not be a star but he has potential and has been a starter albeit with a running back playing QB so it is hard to judge.
You are interacting to your opposite. You know how there was a Superman and a Bizarro? Well his title should be, "Annoyingly pessimistic non contributing fu*k head".

You are interacting to your opposite. You know how there was a Superman and a Bizarro? Well his title should be, "Annoyingly pessimistic non contributing fu*k head".
Major points for the reference. Your geek cred just rose a bit. Careful Bama may give you a wedgie and shove you in a locker.

Thank you for showing just how much attention you pay to what's going on. He may not be a star but he has potential and has been a starter albeit with a running back playing QB so it is hard to judge.
He was never a dominant WR at ND.... He never developed into an average WR in the pros... Yes Lamar runs but let's not act like he doesn't throw... His stats don't support that. Boykins speed etc never translated to the position.

Major points for the reference. Your geek cred just rose a bit. Careful Bama may give you a wedgie and shove you in a locker.
Oh yeah I was a major comic book geek Marvel and DC. Used to go to the book store pick up a comic read it. If there was a Hulk I had to buy it. You know he is the strongest one there is. 😅

He was never a dominant WR at ND.... He never developed into an average WR in the pros... Yes Lamar runs but let's not act like he doesn't throw... His stats don't support that. Boykins speed etc never translated to the position.
I am not saying he is a star in the making but he has a legitimate shot to be as good or better than our previous number 4. Washington never seemed to get separation. Boykin has a better chance at that. I would call him a possible upgrade to the 4th WR. I personally like DJ more than some and think Chase could seriously bounce back. Add the two new guys with speed and one with size we may have a deep room.

And your title should be "Im a fu*ked up stalker that needs to **** on anyone who's opinion I don't like.

Oh yeah I was a major comic book geek Marvel and DC. Used to go to the book store pick up a comic read it. If there was a Hulk I had to buy it. You know he is the strongest one there is. 😅
I used to be part owner of a baseball card and comic store along with the baseball cap stores I ran back in the day. Spent hours reading them when were slow.

Let's not act like Lamar doesn't handicap his receivers being prone to run it often. Boykin just needs to upgrade Washington. That is possible. Good thing is there is plenty of WRs in the event he doesn't. But it is silly to stick a fork in a player before we have a closer up look.

I am not saying he is a star in the making but he has a legitimate shot to be as good or better than our previous number 4. Washington never seemed to get separation. Boykin has a better chance at that. I would call him a possible upgrade to the 4th WR. I personally like DJ more than some and think Chase could seriously bounce back. Add the two new guys with speed and one with size we may have a deep room.
He could, he just never amounted to anything ever... I'm not a fan of the small WR but I think he has a much better chance than Boykin.

And your title should be "Im a fu*ked up stalker that needs to **** on anyone who's opinion I don't like.
The ol I am a stalker rebuttal. It is a message board and you give out plenty of opinions. Pessimistic ones at that. So don't be shocked if you get called on them you disgruntled douchebag.