• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Select Big Play Threat George Pickens At Pick No. 52

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Steelers have selected a Georgia Bulldog! The Pittsburgh Steelers with the 52nd overall pick have selected WR George Pickens. Pickens is a big target at 6 foot 3 inches and 200 pounds. He ran a 4.47 40-yard dash at the combine and was the number one receiver for the Bulldogs, when he was on the field, for a passing game that was often lacking due to less than stellar quarterback play.

Pickens tore his ACL during a spring practice in 2021 that sidelined him for 8 months before he was able to return for Georgia’s regular season finale against Georgia Tech.

“The people that thought he was just going to rehab and go to the league don’t know George at all,” quarterback Stetson Bennett said. “It’s kind of funny to hear those people talk because they don’t know how much he loves football and loves his teammates and how hard he’s attacked every day, rehab-wise, to get back to play with us — not to go to the NFL. He’s going to do what he’s going to do and he’s going to have a long career like he is. So, I’m happy for him. I know how hard he’s worked to get that knee right and how difficult it’s been for him. And he’s done that job pretty well.”

Pickens only caught 5 balls in the 2021 season but he did have a huge catch against Alabama in the National Title game. The ACL tear spoiled what should have been a breakout senior season for Pickens, but his rehab and return might have helped him more than the stats he may have put up.

Steelers Pickens

(Curtis Compton/AJC)

Pickens underwent surgery from Dr. James Andrews, a pioneer in ACL repair, who famously repaired Adrian Peterson’s knee. He uses stem cells and blood plasma to accelerate the recovery process, but it is up to the athlete to do the work. Pickens under the supervision of Georgia’s director of Sports medicine, Ron Courson, rehabbed like a mad man and would not be denied his shot at helping Georgia win the SEC and the National Title.

“I’m just proud of the work that George has put in to get back,” Kirby Smart said. “We’ve known guys on the team who have had ACLs. It’s a mental injury as much as it is a physical injury. It’s taxing. It’s draining to sit there and watch all your friends go out and play in the spring, play in the spring game, play in the fall, and you’re sitting there doing rehab all the time. But George loves football, he’s always wanted to get back and have the opportunity to get out there.”

His team came up short in the SEC title game losing to the Alabama Crimson Tide. However, Georgia avenged their only loss in the National Championship game and Pickens lone catch was a key play in the game. He is a contested catch monster and a big receiver who plays fast in pads. Whoever is calling plays for the Steelers in September is going to appreciate having a 6-foot 3-inch Pickens, a 6 foot 4 inch Chase Claypool and a 6 foot 5 inch Pat Freiermuth to throw jump balls to in the red zone. Kenny Pickett or Mitch Trubisky will take comfort in the fact that teams can’t double team everyone.

George Pickens passion for football and his commitment to his teammates are intangibles the Steelers look for in a player. His passion to rehab should translate to a passion to improve and become a leader in the young Steelers’ receiver room. He epitomized the volunteer attitude Mike Tomlin preaches and should be a cornerstone of the new Black and Gold Offense. Kevin Colbert’s plan to find starters in the first round seems to be off to a solid start.

Steelers Quarterback Kenny Pickett Says Mason Rudolph and Mitchell Trubisky Reached Out; Ready To Learn From Them

Welcome to Pittsburgh Mr. Pickens! What do you think Steeler Nation? Comment below or follow me on Twitter @thebubbasq.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I love this pick. I would have been OK with Sky, but this guy gives us another real threat downfield

Watching his tape there's an uncanny parallel to Martavis Bryant. Size, speed and everything. Martavis is only 30.

Love the pick. Dude ran a 4.47 at the combine not 100% healthy.

If he can stay healthy he’ll be a beast. Glad we got him as a serious run on WRs was going on early.

So often I watch highlight videos and think, if those are the highlights…I’m not impressed. That was NOT the case with this video.

This receiving corp COULD be special. If DJ can stay consistent, Claypool plays to his potential, Pickens has even a decent rookie season, a QB emerges that can get them the ball, and Canada’s offense takes advantage of all the talent…. Never mind…I just talked myself out of it.

Last edited:
I'm glad they finally used a second round pick on a receiver. It was long overdue.

Positional pick was much needed in the 2nd...

Just not a big fan of drafting an expected instant contributor that early who is coming off a very serious knee injury..

Hope Dr. Andrews had a good day at work.

Great article in the PG by Ron Cook this morning. Canada is the wild card. He was so bad last year, I don't see how anyone can have confidence moving into this year no matter who we have on offense. Hopefully, he learned something about being an NFL coach, and hopefully, Tomlin won't let the team start the season without game planning and without a hurry-up offense.

Great point about Canada and something I always say is I laugh when I hear about “Canada’s offense” because it usually isn’t very good.