• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers sign yet another ILB to practice squad

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

With the Pittsburgh Steelers losing another inside linebacker on Saturday, the team is bringing in another veteran to their practice squad. According to his agent former second round pick Jaylon Smith is signing with the Steelers. Smith has spent time with the New Orleans Saints, and Las Vegas Raiders so far during the 2023 NFL season. Smith joins veterans Blake Martinez, Myles Jack, Mykal Walker, and Mark Robinson on a team that has already lost Cole Holcomb, Kwon Alexander, and now Elandon Roberts to injury. Roberts hasn't been placed on injured reserve yet for his pectoral injury, but Mike Tomlin ruled him out for Week 17 in Seattle.

Guy had some significant injuries but has battled thru them. The way the team goes through ILBers it is smart to load up on them...

I know Mark Robinson is a thumper, but you’d think he would be more and more playing time.?? ODD

Definitely need bodies, thaty’s what we are getting, with the turn around on personal at ILB.

Salute the nation

I know Mark Robinson is a thumper, but you’d think he would be more and more playing time.?? ODD

Definitely need bodies, thaty’s what we are getting, with the turn around on personal at ILB.

Salute the nation
Watching him get more PT lately...
To me, he looks undersized and slow.

Salute the nation
My fast take and I like Robinson's style. There often seems to be alignment issues when he is in there. They are having to shift guys around and I believe Roberts looked agitated about alignment.

what's Levon doing these days?

With the Pittsburgh Steelers losing another inside linebacker on Saturday, the team is bringing in another veteran to their practice squad. According to his agent former second round pick Jaylon Smith is signing with the Steelers. Smith has spent time with the New Orleans Saints, and Las Vegas Raiders so far during the 2023 NFL season. Smith joins veterans Blake Martinez, Myles Jack, Mykal Walker, and Mark Robinson on a team that has already lost Cole Holcomb, Kwon Alexander, and now Elandon Roberts to injury. Roberts hasn't been placed on injured reserve yet for his pectoral injury, but Mike Tomlin ruled him out for Week 17 in Seattle.
SB Bound!!!!

The way it is going this year, Jaylon will tear a ACL getting off the plane

Robinson, a Tomlin favorite still can't secure the ilb spot. Tomlin has groomed him since day 1.
I thought he was a Flores pick they threw a bone to? I recall Flores was the one quoted after the pick.

I thought he was a Flores pick they threw a bone to? I recall Flores was the one quoted after the pick.
Robinson gets less time than several guys recently elevated from the couch....so how was he taking up a roster spot earlier in the season, or even now?

His time to elevate his play and assure his future role with the team is surely when every single guy ahead of you on the depth chart gets IR'd, but now he is being passed by retired guys; why would he take a roster spot going forward?

His time to elevate his play and assure his future role with the team is surely when every single guy ahead of you on the depth chart gets IR'd, but now he is being passed by retired guys; why would he take a roster spot going forward?
In the normal gist of things, it doesn't make much sense. Something doesn't seem "quite right" with the guy. It appears that DC Austin's comments from early this season, about Robinson not being ready for a starters' position by this year seems quite accurate, when, at the time, seemed too critical. So either Robinson has some serious, inherent problem with his skill set or he is a case of "self-fulfilling prophecy" (and in this case the "self" being the coaching staff, not Robinson himself). In other words, Robinson either has some major weaknesses in his game or the coaches were hell-bent on him not being successful for some unknown reason (i.e. him being the favorite of a high profile coach who is no longer with the team and the staff did not favor for whatever reason). I'm not saying I know. Is his coverage ability (or lack there of) just too God awful to fix, making him too limited of a player to have out on the field?

I liked his "bullish" style of play that I saw, but can't say I watched him enough in isolation to have a strong opinion of his lack of coverage skills. Maybe his lack of coverage skills is just THAT lacking.

In the normal gist of things, it doesn't make much sense. Something doesn't seem "quite right" with the guy. It appears that DC Austin's comments from early this season, about Robinson not being ready for a starters' position by this year seems quite accurate, when, at the time, seemed too critical. So either Robinson has some serious, inherent problem with his skill set or he is a case of "self-fulfilling prophecy" (and in this case the "self" being the coaching staff, not Robinson himself). In other words, Robinson either has some major weaknesses in his game or the coaches were hell-bent on him not being successful for some unknown reason (i.e. him being the favorite of a high profile coach who is no longer with the team and the staff did not favor for whatever reason). I'm not saying I know. Is his coverage ability (or lack there of) just too God awful to fix, making him too limited of a player to have out on the field?

I liked his "bullish" style of play that I saw, but can't say I watched him enough in isolation to have a strong opinion of his lack of coverage skills. Maybe his lack of coverage skills is just THAT lacking.
Exactly the sort of guy that belongs on the practice squad......

Depends on what position you want him to play.....................................?

Salute the nation
as long as his knees are good, i'd take him on either side of the line. DT or C