• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers ST Coach Danny Smith on Punting Position: “We’re going to keep the best guy.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers find themselves in yet another position battle heading into the 2021 regular season. This time, the position that is seemingly up for grabs is one that this team has always struggled to find a long-term solution for. That particular position happens to be the punter. To address that this year, the Steelers selected Pressley Harvin III in the seventh round of the NFL Draft. Last season’s starter Jordan Berry still finds himself on the roster with a chance to make the final cuts yet again, but the rookie Harvin III won’t be making that an easy task.

Steeler Nation got their first look at Harvin III during the Hall of Fame game earlier this month. Harvin III stands at 5’11″, 263 lbs, so not only does his stature make him stand out like a sore thumb, but his leg is what really captured everyone’s attention. He instantly became a fan favorite during the game when he pinned the Dallas Cowboys special teams unit deep in their own endzone on one of his first punts of his NFL career, and followed that up with an end over end punt that lead to a fumble recovered by his own unit. Off to a hot start for the young rookie.

The only thing that has stopped Harvin III from taking over the punting responsibilities full-time for this team has been the recent play of the veteran Berry in this early season as well. The Steelers gave him the opportunity to punt the whole first half in last week’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles and Berry ran with it. He also was credited with pinning his opponents deep in their own territory and showed that he has the fundamentals of being a NFL punter. Berry’s issue has been his inability to win the field position battle on a consistent basis and he is doing what he can to change that dynamic of his game.

If anything, both players’ efforts have been noticed by the coaching staff, especially special teams coordinator Danny Smith in particular. Smith is quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette saying:

“It really has been competitive. It really has.” Smith told reporters after Wednesday’s practice. “It’s good to see two pros put their best foot forward. No pun intended. But Jordan’s punting the ball better than he ever has and Pressley is very talented, so it’s been quite a competition. And it will continue.”

As far as Berry possibly having a leg up on Harvin III due to his experience, Smith responded:

“It doesn’t really give him a leg up. They’re tough decisions, to your point.” Smith added. “They’re really hard decisions to make for myself, for the head coach, for the GM, for the owner. They’re tough decisions, they really are. But that’s our job and that’s what we’ve got to get done. I have timed everything. I’ve got stacks up there in that dang thing that would blow your mind, and I’m not a big stat guy. But I’ve got times: hand to foot, hangtime, depth, distance, location, all those kinds of things. So, we’ll make a good decision and we’re going to come out with a good punter because I’d say we’ve got two NFL punters in this camp.”

Everything out of camp tells us that this is going to be an open competition for at least the next two weeks of preseason football. Although it seems like Harvin III is the fan favorite to win the job, both players are doing everything they can to etch their names into that starting punter spot, making it a harder decision for the coaching staff to make. Coach Smith said it best, “We don’t keep guys on a hope and a prayer or a wish. We’re going to keep the best guy.”

Who do you think will win the punting competition? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Well all I can say is that Danny "bubbles" Smith is a pure genious...................................

Pressley bestly bely only thely rosterly comely startly seasonly. ly

Salute the nation

I don't know how you don't keep Harvin he has shown some strong attributes. Not even sure you can stat to stat and come away with Berry even if he statistically showed a smidge better.

All things being equal, keep the cheaper player (Harvin). But, all things aren't equal. Harvin is younger with a higher ceiling. They've been trying to get rid of Berry for years. And, they invested draft capital in Harvin.
Harvin wins the job. Just not in the landslide we all thought it would be.
See if you can trade Berry while his value is high.

The best guy is Harvin.

Can Harvin hold on PAT and FG’s? I think he was out kicked him for the most part. He will make some mistakes but his leg you can’t teach.

He has room to make some mistakes along the way as BERRY has made mistakes often. Good question on if he can hold or not. I haven't read or seen anything to support or dislodge that factor.

Salute the nation

Berry has let us down too many times. I'll give him some credit, he has gotten better but still let's us down way too often. Give it to Harvin and as already mentioned, he is cheaper.

All things being equal, keep the cheaper player (Harvin). But, all things aren't equal. Harvin is younger with a higher ceiling. They've been trying to get rid of Berry for years. And, they invested draft capital in Harvin.

Just curious as to what you think we could get out of BERRY ? Most teams will just wait for cuts as they know we won't carry both punters so one or the other will be gone and free.

Pressley Harvin is clearly my choice and Berry suddenly impressing leads to the question of why not sooner and will he revert back once season starts ?

Salute the nation

Berry may get a 50 yard punt every now & then, but then he comes back with a 20 yard shank. Harvin looks to be a guy who has worked on his trade so much and so hard that it appears he can manipulate the ball's distance/height/bounce in a way Berry never has. I'd say give the rook a shot.

Just curious as to what you think we could get out of BERRY ? Most teams will just wait for cuts as they know we won't carry both punters so one or the other will be gone and free.

Pressley Harvin is clearly my choice and Berry suddenly impressing leads to the question of why not sooner and will he revert back once season starts ?

Salute the nation
A punter needy team might not want to risk losing out on Berry on the open market. Waiting on cuts exposes them to that possibility. Kevin Colbert has made a lot of good moves this off season. If he can find a team willing to give up a 6th/7th for Berry, that would be another feather in his cap.

I don't know how you don't keep Harvin he has shown some strong attributes. Not even sure you can stat to stat and come away with Berry even if he statistically showed a smidge better.
He does seem to have a great leg. There is one attribute that is easily overlooked and that is how good a holder he is. Just one loss because of a mishandled snap on what should be a chip shot FG and ppl will call for his head. It's still Tony Romo's most remembered play...

Just saying that it should be evaluated.

He does seem to have a great leg. There is one attribute that is easily overlooked and that is how good a holder he is. Just one loss because of a mishandled snap on what should be a chip shot FG and ppl will call for his head. It's still Tony Romo's most remembered play...

Do you know how good of a holder he is, by chance? In your research have you ever come across muffed punt holder stats of anykind (not sure that is even a stat). I'm guessing he is pretty good or that would have been a knock on him pre-draft.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
One of the PG writers actually mentioned this very thing. He said they will keep Harvin because he is cheaper and they will showcase Berry in this weeks game to see if they can get a pick for him instead of just letting him go. Anything is better than nothing, I guess.

Do you know how good of a holder he is, by chance? In your research have you ever come across muffed punt holder stats of anykind (not sure that is even a stat). I'm guessing he is pretty good or that would have been a knock on him pre-draft.

Salute the nation
No idea! That's for the guys getting paid the big bucks to evaluate!

Berry and Dobbs to the Jags for a CB, lol! Or the Cooch trade to the stains for 2 1sts!

Tomlin touched on that and said both players are above the line in the snap/hold department, that that area wouldn't be a deciding factor in roster outcome. I was looking over the hangtimes and that statistically edged out Berry as well.

Berry and Dobbs to the Jags for a CB, lol! Or the Cooch trade to the stains for 2 1sts!

You're going to get 2-1st(s) for Coach's Coooch......................... If need I'll throw in a years supply diapers so they will have less "cap" costs to keep him...................................

Salute the nation

Tomlin touched on that and said both players are above the line in the snap/hold department, that that area wouldn't be a deciding factor in roster outcome. I was looking over the hangtimes and that statistically edged out Berry as well.

I hadn't seen that Tomlin blurp on the holding part. It's good to hear that so I'm saying Pressley will be staying.

Salute the nation

ST's have been ****** up for a long time so Danny Smith's opinion means zilch to me, he should feel lucky he still draws a paycheck here, but it's obvious that Harvin is pretty good. Berry isn't horrible but is at best adequate on a good day and he doesn't always have good days.

Reactions: MTC
You're going to get 2-1st(s) for Coach's Coooch......................... If need I'll throw in a years supply diapers so they will have less "cap" costs to keep him...................................

Salute the nation
Are they baby diapers? I’ll take a years supply for my kiddo

Berry may get a 50 yard punt every now & then, but then he comes back with a 20 yard shank.

And the 50 yard punts come in pre-season when he's fighting for a roster spot. Once he secures his spot and the season stars, the 20 yard shanks become the norm. Which is why I predict Harvin will win the spot, Berry can't be trusted to be consistent.