• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Still Rank As 1 Of The Worst Teams In The AFC After The Draft According To ESPN

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been an afterthought for a lot of people because Ben Roethlisberger retired. His absence left a large hole for the Steelers at the most important position of an NFL team. But it wasn’t vintage Roethlisberger that walked off the field for the last time in Kansas City.

Steelers Pickens: “Explosive — That’s Like An Overall Aspect Of My Game”

The Steelers have now addressed that position twice, one with Mitchell Trubisky in free agency, and another with Kenny Pickett during the draft. Neither player is going to be vintage Roethlisberger, but they don’t need to be. They just need to make some plays when absolutely necessary, and feed the ball to Najee Harris. Let the highest paid defense in the NFL win you football games.

But, that didn’t stop ESPN from giving the Steelers a very poor ranking in their latest power rankings. It’s bad enough they’re listed as #21 overall, but there is only three AFC teams ranked as worse. The New York Jets, The Jacksonville Jaguars, and The Houston Texans. SAY WHAT? The Steelers are now at the same level as some of the worst teams in the NFL for the past two decades?

This is what they had to say about the Steelers:

21. Pittsburgh Steelers Kevin Colbert’s final draft as Steelers GM went the way many expected. The man responsible for bringing Ben Roethlisberger to Pittsburgh targeted Big Ben’s successor with the first-round selection of Kenny Pickett. The Steelers know Pickett better than anyone — Pitt and the Steelers share the same practice facility — and it was telling how Mike Tomlin chose to answer a question about Pickett’s immediate viability as a potential Week 1 starter. “He certainly has a chance,” the coach said. “… We felt he came ready-made in those ways. Hopefully that’s an asset to him in terms of being able to compete and being ready, if his performance dictates.” The Mitch Trubisky era could be over before it even started.

Not much substance there besides stating the obvious. This goes back to what we were saying up above, though. Roethlisberger’s performance last season isn’t something that isn’t obtainable by Trubisky or Pickett. They’re not going to have the still apparent fourth quarter magic from Roethlisberger because that was more DNA than ability last season. But they should be able to make throws that Roethlisberger no longer could. And they should be able to use the weapons deployed around them to do good things. It’s going to be about limiting turnovers in the longer run.

Steelers Kenny Pickett and Art Rooney

Matt Freed / Pittsburgh Post Gazette

According to these rankings the Steelers aren’t even in the same class as the Browns, Ravens, or Bengals. This is where they have the Steelers division foes.

14. Cleveland Browns
The Browns remain an impossible team to rank in this exercise given what we don’t know about Deshaun Watson. The quarterback remains in limbo on account of the 22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual assault and misconduct, as well as the ongoing league investigation. Will he even play in the 2022 season? And if he doesn’t, how much can we realistically expect from a team — 8-9 a year ago — being led by Jacoby Brissett? Well, they do have Baker Mayfield, but the team will throw an anniversary halftime celebration for the 2000 Super Bowl champion Ravens before the former No. 1 overall pick plays another snap in Cleveland. The Browns have the chance to be an AFC superpower in the years to come, but they remain a messy proposition in the here and now.

11. Baltimore Ravens
The Ravens are just good at this. Disappointments connected to an injury-ravaged 2021 season aside, Baltimore has remained an AFC power player for the better part of two decades thanks in large part to an uncanny knack for knowing who to pick and when. The team’s two first-round selections this year — safety Kyle Hamilton and center Tyler Linderbaum — profile as Day 1 starters and instant difference-makers, while the move to select highly skilled outside linebacker David Ojabo — who tore his Achilles tendon in March — could pay big dividends in 2023. Meanwhile, the trade of Marquise Brown to Arizona for a first-round pick was more ace maneuvering by GM Eric DeCosta. Brown wanted out and never lived up to his own first-round status. Comeback szn approaches in Charm City.

4. Cincinnati Bengals
Last year, the Bengals rolled the dice by passing on offensive line help at No. 5 overall in favor of Ja’Marr Chase, who made Duke Tobin and Co. look smart with a brilliant rookie season. Cincy used free agency to address — aggressively — its suspect offensive line, then used the draft to improve the back end of its defense, with the selections of defensive backs Daxton Hill and Cam Taylor-Britt. The Bengals are running their team with sound and direct logic — they identify and attack deficiencies in an efficient manner. The 2022 draft was the latest example.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Happens every year. Some team is crowned "champions" before the season starts. Then most times that team underperforms.

11. Baltimore has remained an AFC power player for the better part of two decades thanks in large part to an uncanny knack for knowing who to pick and when.
Hmm, what other AFCN team has remained an "AFC power player for the better part of two decades", I wonder?

4. Cincinnati Bengals…they identify and attack deficiencies in an efficient manner.
Yeah, 'cause Steeler drafts and free agent signings are done using a blindfold and a dartboard.

Rank the Steelers 32nd, for all I care. Means absolutely nothing.

If ESPN would have said that the Steelers were among the elite in the AFC, I bet a lot of you would be going on about how ESPN is a reputable source.

Objectively speaking, other than drafting Pickett, the majority of our off-season moves have been pretty lackluster. Again, we would benefit GREATLY from some splash plays instead of our expected cheap and predictable moves.

The last time I actually watched ESPN was when Tom Jackson and Chris Bergman hosted their show. I wouldn’t waste my time now.
Guys like Mel Kiper a Raven's homer and Tod McShay are total jokes. Then you add on the hundreds of other so called experts, ex jocks now with a mic and an opinion, then the guys that never played the game now with a mic and an opinion and here we go.
That’s what we all have to keep in mind is that these so called experts are just guys with opinions no more. They don’t know anymore than the average knowledgeable football fan.
I will as I always have keep my faith and trust with the Steeler’s scouts,GM, and coaches. Do they blow it on occasion, of course they do but they have gotten it right more than they’ve blown it and it’s far from an exact science.

I actually like being ranked lower than we should be. My hope is Tomlin et al. use it as fodder for next year. Make it a 'nobody respects you scenario!' Contrary to what one of the guys above me thinks, outside of the predictable nature of the Pickett pick, every other pick has the potential to be huge. A healthy George Pickens is scary as hell.

Seems about right to me.
This is strictly based off of what we showed them last year + our off-season, both FA and draft.
We picked 20th in the draft, which means we were technically the 20th best team in the NFL last year.
We haven't played a game yet since the season ended...........?
What did you expect?
Based on our off-season so far we're now the favorites to win #7?
I'm a fan, and I'd love to see it, but I also cheer with my heart but bet with my wallet.
As it stands right this second, I think it's fair.
Plus, you know, we still have Tomlin and Canada. Everyone here has so much faith in those two.
( Yep, that's sarcasm you're picking up ).

If ESPN would have said that the Steelers were among the elite in the AFC, I bet a lot of you would be going on about how ESPN is a reputable source.

Objectively speaking, other than drafting Pickett, the majority of our off-season moves have been pretty lackluster. Again, we would benefit GREATLY from some splash plays instead of our expected cheap and predictable moves.
"Our" 😅
I think Daniels, Myles Jack and Kazee train are solid signings. I think Cole is a serviceable upgrade at Center. Then you have Pickens and DeMarcus that bring good value. Levi was a solid corner for the Bills. Weatherspoon came on for the Steelers and played well at corner last season.

The only thing lackluster is your posts Bob and by posts I mean all of them.

fuckem-christopher-walken.gif

"F.UC.K 'EM!!"

Last edited:
Perfect spot to be, completely understandable & warranted.

This is a new squad, nobody knows what the post-Ben Steelers will look like.

I'm glad we've been knocked down the rankings. We need as many servings of humble pie as we can get. This team has underperformed for years now, and that was *with* Big Ben.

The big, fat Reset button has been activated. Tomlin & Canada have a clean slate to draw up an offense however they see fit. Not limited or defined by a franchise QB set in his ways.

Have always loved being the underdog. Well, we are clearly the underdogs, at this stage. Looking forward to seeing how this team comes together, and takes shape, this summer. Exciting times with a lot of unknowns. My best guess is we'll be better than what pundits, and many Steelers fans, are expecting.

The Steelers still absolutely are in the bottom half of the league. Nothing has changed yet. Once OTA's and the pre-season are done, we can make some kind of evaluation but even then, we won't know what kind of team they have this year until a good 5 games into the season. And, with this team having so many young players, hopefully the team improves as the season goes on.

Perfect spot to be, completely understandable & warranted.

This is a new squad, nobody knows what the post-Ben Steelers will look like.

I'm glad we've been knocked down the rankings. We need as many servings of humble pie as we can get. This team has underperformed for years now, and that was *with* Big Ben.

The big, fat Reset button has been activated. Tomlin & Canada have a clean slate to draw up an offense however they see fit. Not limited or defined by a franchise QB set in his ways.

Have always loved being the underdog. Well, we are clearly the underdogs, at this stage. Looking forward to seeing how this team comes together, and takes shape, this summer. Exciting times with a lot of unknowns. My best guess is we'll be better than what pundits, and many Steelers fans, are expecting.
Tomlin and Canada drawing anything up doesn’t exactly inspire confidence at this point.

How about Art saying Picket won championships?
I heard him say Picket won championships and suddenly Mike Tomlin's position made sense.
Division championships are still "championships" I guess

I don't get wtf they are doing at this point. Whatever, not my business

Made playoffs. "Bottom half of the league" ?

were going to find out real quick how much Ben hampered or made this offense functional , real quick.
That's right. I am very interested in finding that out. I am in the camp that Ben hampered things with his physical limitations, but we will find out if that is true or not. I wonder/hope if the coaches feel that pressure now. Because maybe they got away with a little bit of "Well, the QB is old and doesn't move well." They will be exposed now, for better or worse.

How about Art saying Picket won championships?
I heard him say Picket won championships and suddenly Mike Tomlin's position made sense.
Division championships are still "championships" I guess

I don't get wtf they are doing at this point. Whatever, not my business
I think I do, whether it works out or not we will see. Look, Art 2 was alive from 1983 to 2003 and saw the wasteland of QBs during that time. They saw a chance with Pickett and they took it. To just assume they could wait around and get a QB who everyone thinks will be franchise could cause another 20 years of wasteland.

"Our" 😅
I think Daniels, Myles Jack and Kazee train are solid signings. I think Cole is a serviceable upgrade at Center. Then you have Pickens and DeMarcus that bring good value. Levi was a solid corner for the Bills. Weatherspoon came on for the Steelers and played well at corner last season.

The only thing lackluster is your posts Bob and by posts I mean all of them.

Are you busting up Backdoor Butternut BoB's Ballz ?

Shame on you as he doesn't get out much seeing how you won't meet him on Carson Street for a beer, ever..............................

Salute the nation

You can say Ben hampered the O but we also know for a fact Canaduh hampered the O. He didn't gameplan. He didn't adjust in-game. Ben took over later in games to get us many of our wins. Canaduh continually called quick plays behind the LOS even on 3rd or 4th and long when we were behind in games. Tomlin even said "we were out of bullets" in the one game when we were down by 2 scores. WTF does that mean? I know Ben had his limitations last year but Canaduh was a much bigger problem. He had no idea how to adjust in games or to the players available to him. Plus, this year, there will be more weapons at the QB's disposal and a much better O-line. That is why, if this O doesn't score points at least 20+ in most games, Canaduh must be fired.