• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Stole WR Calvin Austin III 1 Pick Before Ravens Were Set To Select Him

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers had already selected a wide receiver in round two of the 2022 NFL Draft, but that didn’t stop them from grabbing another in round four. Much like in 2019 when the Steelers stole Diontae Johnson from Bruce Arians and the Arizona Cardinals, but this time it was an even sweeter steal. One from the Steelers most hated rival.

On Saturday, Monday Morning Quarterback reporter Peter King hung out in the Baltimore Ravens draft room as they prepared to make what seemed like a dozen picks in the fourth round.

I was in the Ravens’ draft room for the fourth round. What I found interesting was the calm, even when the Steelers threw a stunning changeup at them moments before the Ravens were going to address a need.
Steelers Austin Goes For Touchdown

SI.com

The stunning move was when Steelers running back Najee Harris announced that the Steelers had selected wide receiver Calvin Austin III from Memphis one pick before the Ravens. The Ravens had to of been used to this by now though, as during the 1st round on Thursday night the Philadelphia Eagles leapfrogged the Ravens to select Jordan Davis. The Ravens of course got a solid consolation prize with safety Kyle Hamilton. But it seemed like Davis was going to be their man.

Now the Steelers were able to take their turn stealing from them. This is what King had to say in his column breaking down his experiences from Saturday.

A middle-round receiver, Calvin Austin III of Memphis, a smurfy guy who runs a 4.32 40, was Baltimore’s target here. Guess who else runs a 4.32? Hollywood Brown. Though Austin’s a small guy, he was durable at Memphis, playing 49 games in four years and averaging 16.3 yards per catch. Baltimore’s not a deep-throwing team—thus Brown’s frustration, leading to his trade request, and the trade to Arizona—but the Ravens could use speed depth.

Austin wasn’t a must-have. But he was the next target. He was Baltimore’s guy.

Then, over the tinny speaker, news that the Steelers were picking wide receiver Calvin Austin, Memphis.
“Gotta be kidding me,” someone blurted out as the Ravens began to process it.

Ravens on the clock … 4:40 4:35 … DeCosta had to think now. He had open trade offers with Kansas City and Jacksonville, and he could pull the trigger on either. He didn’t love his options here. But his expression didn’t change. Harbaugh’s expression didn’t change, nor did Newsome’s. These things happen in the draft. They pondered alternatives. They had two linebackers and one slower receiver with good grades left, but didn’t love any of them.

The Ravens ultimately ended up selecting tight end Isaiah Likely with there pick. Hopefully the Steelers stole a solid player that will make the Ravens regret not being able to pick him. While Austin is a ‘smurfy’ guy as King described him, he also has plenty of ability on top of his blazing speed. He’s able to play the ball well in combat catch type of situations and play much taller.

If the Steelers are able to work him into the game plan and get him the ball in space he will be a very welcomed sight this season. Austin’s top end speed and ability to take the top off a defense isn’t something that the Steelers have had since Mike Wallace left town.

Potential Steelers General Manager Louis Riddick: “I can’t say very much”

USATSI_17329913.webp

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Ehh, sure, they stole Calvin Austin III from the Ravens, who failed to use one of the prior five ******* 4th round picks on the guy. Too busy selecting a punter at 130, I guess.

These little draft tidbits are fun to read about. I wonder how much of a stretch the story is given how many picks the Ravens had a chance to grab Austin. I suppose I could get them taking Faalele, Armour-Davis, and to some extent Kolar, above Austin. But did they seriously have Jordan Stout, a punter, over Austin? That's bad on them if they did. Also, given the lack of depth, it was not a surprise the Steelers double dipped at receiver.

Too bad Hairy Balls. You snooze, you looze.

I hope he works out but I would have been happy with players like Shakir, McFadden, Tom &
Woolen

I don't know if they stole Austin from the Ravens or not, but I think he is going to be a better NFL receiver than Wan'Dale Robinson, who went to the Giants in the second round, 95 picks earlier.