• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Tried to Make Deal with Eagles at Deadline

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers made one trade at the deadline, but it was the team dealing away linebacker Melvin Ingram III not adding any players.

But that wasn’t because they didn’t try. NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports that the Steelers were in talks with the Philadelphia Eagles in an attempt to bring Fletcher Cox to the Steel City.

The reported asking price was a third round choice and the Steelers weren’t willing to give up that much draft value. It’s unknown what the Steelers were willing to move for Cox.

We reported on Tuesday that the team was attempting to add to their defensive front with Stephon Tuitt still sidelined.

Coach Mike Tomlin has stated that Tuitt is progressing, but his return wasn’t close. The team is also without back up Carlos Davis as he’s been dealing with a knee injury since week 1.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Cox is such a nice dude too. Met him several times at the race track. He actually owns a mustang race team and is a super down to earth guy.

Have to hand it to the FO, they are way ore active than STEELERS of past. Congratulations

Don't like hearing Tuitt's case though.

Salute the nation

Yep, the fact that they tried to get Cox. doesn't bold well that Tuitt comes back this year.

If I was guessing I'd say maybe last 2-4 games of the season and then onto the SB win.!

Salute the nation

We can never have Tuitt and Heyward healthy at the same time...I don’t wanna lose Cam for the season (because Tuitt returns and we can’t have both)...so catch your breath Stephon, gather your thoughts and get right...just sit back and let Cam run roughshod over O lineman as we go grab an unlikely SB and maybe that ring can cheer ya up!

Cox counts $26.5 million against the cap in 2022. Tuitt's number is near $14 million next year, or there would be almost $10 mill in dead cap if he's released. The Steelers are not going to spend that kind of money on one defensive line position when Heyward is already due $40 million over the next two years.

Sounds like a bullshit story to me.

Cox counts $26.5 million against the cap in 2022. Tuitt's number is near $14 million next year, or there would be almost $10 mill in dead cap if he's released. The Steelers are not going to spend that kind of money on one defensive line position when Heyward is already due $40 million over the next two years.

3rd rounder alone is too costly, add in absorbing that cap hit and there's no way that was happening, although I suppose Cox's contract could've been reworked somehow.

So you are saying, this cox was too expensive.

I don't think anyone outside of the facility or Tuitt's own family knows what's really going on with Tuitt.

If they've been searching for DL like they have though, it doesn't speak well of Tuitt returning any time soon though IMO.

I don't think anyone outside of the facility or Tuitt's own family knows what's really going on with Tuitt.

If they've been searching for DL like they have though, it doesn't speak well of Tuitt returning any time soon though IMO.
Even if he returns we still need a reliable veteran presence in the middle with him and Cam. They younguns have potential but not consistency. I am high on Loudermilk for next year after he has a year to get stronger.

Somewhat surprised we haven’t brought in Gino Atkins, Kk Short or Damon Harrison to at least kick the tires...thought for sure 1 of those 3 would’ve at least been through for a visit right after Alualu went down.