• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Way Means Colbert Will Pass on QB in Round 1

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It is a hot debate in Steeler Nation, divides the fandom, and for that matter, the writers at SteelerNation.com. Steelers general manager, Kevin Colbert has been the Pittsburgh Steelers GM for the entire 21st century and he has been almost without peer when it comes to drafting talent. He has been at the helm for three Steelers Super Bowls and drafted several likely Hall of Famers including Ben Roethlisberger.

When you have a quarterback like Ben for that many years, you didn’t spend as much time with that position because you weren’t going to entertain it,” Colbert said Monday during a pre-draft press conference with head coach Mike Tomlin at Heinz Field.

Colbert is stepping down after the draft and the Steelers have not announced his replacement. Tomlin will be staying on and the more I think back on Colbert’s career, the more convinced I become that he would not presume to pick the quarterback of the future for the next general manager. I do not think he would pass on the opportunity to draft a franchise quarterback, but he is such an excellent talent evaluator, I can’t believe he thinks any of the four top quarterbacks in this year’s draft are that guy.

If Steelers draft quarterback, ‘we have to get that right,’ says Colbert.

Steelers Colbert

Keith Srakocic AP

Colbert has spent 20 years as the GM and while I absolutely believe the Rooney family has faith in him, the Steelers would be setting themselves up to hamstring the next GM if they miss on the first-round pick. Tomlin would have to be staking his reputation on the choice if they did go quarterback. The Steelers are slow to respond if a coach struggles, but pressure from the fans if they miss will build and even the Rooney’s won’t be patient forever.

Tomlin has been with the Steelers a long time and I have my quibbles with some of his game management. I don’t think the Steelers would risk putting a new general manager in a position to explain a miss at quarterback with the only person left to blame being the long-time head coach. Pittsburgh has great fans, but Bill Cowher and Chuck Noll sat on the hot seat several times in the 80’s and 90’s when substandard quarterback play was the norm in Steeler Nation.

Steelers Colbert Says First 3 Picks Must Be Starters

I do want to be clear if you told me that Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder, or Matt Corral were pick number 52 or 84, I would be happy and endorse it. I am not a fan of Kenny Pickett, but I know his ties to Pittsburgh make passing on him unthinkable to Steeler Nation. This quarterback class is reminiscent of 2013 with the Christian Ponder and E.J. Manuel experiences.

I bleed black and gold but have lived in Jacksonville, FL for 20 years now and I can tell you Byron Leftwich (who fans irrationally hated), followed by Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles has led to a miserable 20 years for the Jaguars. The Cleveland Browns managed to find a quarterback in Baker Mayfield to win a playoff game for the first time in 26 years and waited exactly 1 more year to dump him for Deshaun Watson who is fantastic, but face it, he is in Cleveland. They are going to mess this up.

Steelers Mitchell Trubisky

Mitchell Trubisky practices during voluntary workouts in Pittsburgh / Steelers.com

The Steelers are the model of consistency and stability and I believe based on the talent available, Colbert will put the Steelers in the best possible position to let the new GM, whoever that may be, find the long-term answer at quarterback. I firmly believe Mitch Trubisky is the best man for the 2022 Steelers and giving Matt Canada a second opportunity to prove his offense can work. Trubisky is an ideal RPO quarterback candidate and if it does not work, Canada and Trubisky will be out, and the new offensive coordinator and general manager should not be saddled with an ill fit under center.

If Colbert were going to be on the job for the next 3-5 years, they might reach for a quarterback in the first round. He isn’t and that is the reason I do not believe they will. It is not the Steeler Way.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Comment below or follow me on Twitter and let me hear it @thebubbasq.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..