• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Strong rookie class, at least

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/lists/steelers-2023-nfl-draft-joey-porter-broderick-jones/

Got to admit, Kahn hit his 1st rookie class out of the park.

1. Jones
2. JPJ

Seemed to ht on both. Much needed, MUCH.

3. Benton - a much needed young guy on the DL.
4. Washington - have only seen blocking but hoping he can develop further, has a chance to.
5. Herbig - seems to add much needed depth to OLB.
7. Trice - took a shot on an injured guy, didn't pan out so far, but took a shot.
7. Anderson - could add depth to OL as he develops.

We need a draft just as good in 2024; need OC, CB, ILB, OT, DL and maybe a QB. We need a lot.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/lists/steelers-2023-nfl-draft-joey-porter-broderick-jones/

1. Jones
2. JPJ

2- Homeruns, back to back

Stand-up triple

4. Washington - have only seen blocking but hoping he can develop further, has a chance to.

Stand-up double

SAFE at 2nd

7. Trice - took a shot on an injured guy, didn't pan out so far, but took a shot.

Full Count

Walk
We need a draft just as good in 2024; need OC, CB, ILB, OT, DL and maybe a QB. We need a lot.

Bottom of the sixth,

Salute the nation

1. Jones
2. JPJ

I am excited to see what Trice can do next year. I was bummed out about him getting hurt early this season.

Great post with another strong draft this year can see being competitive again 2025 and contend for championship 2026

The Steelers didn't overthink the draft. Past years there would be these great scheme fits who are talented and the Steelers would pass instead for a player who we had to sell ourselves on. It was just a smart draft and if they continue that approach, this team will build depth in no time.

The Steelers didn't overthink the draft. Past years there would be these great scheme fits who are talented and the Steelers would pass instead for a player who we had to sell ourselves on. It was just a smart draft and if they continue that approach, this team will build depth in no time.
100%

I know a CB is needed bad. but so is Center. If the Steelers really want to be a Running team, I trade Pickens for a 1st, draft RT/OC/CB with 1st 3 pick. not in that order. BP based on those 3

Yes, you are describing Colbert-Tomlin drafts: They tried too hard to get cute to prove how much smarter they were than everyone else, like passing on the solid gold OC that KC took for an OG Green who they tried to make switch positions, and he was a huge fail at both. Colbert mirrored Shades in that way: read his own press clippings so much he believed them.

I know a CB is needed bad. but so is Center. If the Steelers really want to be a Running team, I trade Pickens for a 1st, draft RT/OC/CB with 1st 3 pick. not in that order. BP based on those 3
You would just create another hole to fill another. They have free agency and the draft. More than enough to fill RT/C/ and CB.

The WR room isn't exactly a strength. Subtracting from it could very well make it a weakness.Johnson isn't capable of consistently shouldering a load and isn't someone I'd want to throw long to open up an offense. I am referencing his contested catches liabilities...

You would just create another hole to fill another. They have free agency and the draft. More than enough to fill RT/C/ and CB.

The WR room isn't exactly a strength. Subtracting from it could very well make it a weakness.Johnson isn't capable of consistently shouldering a load and isn't someone I'd want to throw long to open up an offense. I am referencing his contested catches liabilities...
Great point, your trading our best wide receiver and hoping whoever you pick in the draft and sign in free agency to make up the difference will be a wash at best. We already need another receiver with Robinson likely cut and the jury is way out on Austin.

Then there's the DL, they need to sign a 20 something proven free agent and draft one preferably in round one or two at the latest and this draft is not deep with defensive lineman. The OL class is much deeper.

We don't have enough draft picks.

Trade Pickett / Najee / Cam / Oakorafor / Tomlin to the panthers for their entire 24’ & 25’ draft picks, except 6th & 7th (we’d just draft punters with those).

Salute the nation

Yes, you are describing Colbert-Tomlin drafts: They tried too hard to get cute to prove how much smarter they were than everyone else, like passing on the solid gold OC that KC took for an OG Green who they tried to make switch positions, and he was a huge fail at both. Colbert mirrored Shades in that way: read his own press clippings so much he believed them.
You make good points. They should have drafted the center. But maybe instead of they got cute and believed their press clipping and thought they were smarter than everybody...points that are pure conjecture and have no basis in fact...maybe they just made a mistake. It happens a lot in drafts. Were Cowher and Donohoe cute, smarter and believing their press clippings when they drafted Jamaine Stephens or Troy Edwards? How about Noll and staff when drafting Darryl Sims or Greg Hawthorne?

You make good points. They should have drafted the center. But maybe instead of they got cute and believed their press clipping and thought they were smarter than everybody...points that are pure conjecture and have no basis in fact...maybe they just made a mistake. It happens a lot in drafts. Were Cowher and Donohoe cute, smarter and believing their press clippings when they drafted Jamaine Stephens or Troy Edwards? How about Noll and staff when drafting Darryl Sims or Greg Hawthorne?
You can bring up any regime and find draft screw ups, but not as many for a regime so highly esteemed as draft wizards. Colbert has done mostly jack ___ his last 10 years.

You can bring up any regime and find draft screw ups, but not as many for a regime so highly esteemed as draft wizards. Colbert has done mostly jack ___ his last 10 years.
The 70s Steelers were considered the greatest drafting organization perhaps of all time. What drafts they had. But starting in '79 through '86, their 1st rounders were Greg Hawthorne, Mark Malone, Keith Gary, Walter Ambercrombie, Gabe Rivera, Louis Lipps, Darryl Sims, John Reinstra. Lipps was an excellent player, Rivera may have been. But the rest? Oh, boy. They made mistakes, but I never thought they read their press clippings or got cute or thought they were smarter. They just didn't draft well for a while. It wasn't anything devious. Tomlin and Colbert made some mistakes. Nothing more.

Khan/Weidl are Jedis
They can get CB, C and T with their first three picks without jettisoning the best playmaker on offense creating a gigantic hole in an already questionable room

They just didn't draft well for a while. It wasn't anything devious. Tomlin and Colbert made some mistakes. Nothing more.
And carried themselves as the glorious kings of all NFL drafting. What about the racing up to the stadium during their picks? Embarrassing. How about Colbert's blathering on and on about how great his draft picks are? He bragged about the drafting of Green at center. Yea, that was just pure genius Colbert, you're the best drafter ever! Colbert's recent gems. I'd say Kahn/Weidl already proving superior. The bulk of Colbert's draft have been crap recently, the vast majority. And Pickett surely ain't looking like a gem either. But hey we got Cam's little brother, genius. As if any other team would have drafted the shrimp TE. (only TE in NFL under 6')

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

And carried themselves as the glorious kings of all NFL drafting. What about the racing up to the stadium during their picks? Embarrassing. How about Colbert's blathering on and on about how great his draft picks are? He bragged about the drafting of Green at center. Yea, that was just pure genius Colbert, you're the best drafter ever! Colbert's recent gems. I'd say Kahn/Weidl already proving superior. The bulk of Colbert's draft have been crap recently, the vast majority. And Pickett surely ain't looking like a gem either. But hey we got Cam's little brother, genius. As if any other team would have drafted the shrimp TE. (only TE in NFL under 6')

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

Aw, bullsiit. They never "carried themselves as the glorious kings of drafting." Stop being an overemotional little girl. Why is it embarrassing to race up with the picks? There is months, weeks, days and hours leading up to that 15 minutes to make the pick that teams pretty much have an idea what they are gonna get if they trade out. It's a stupid criticism. It isn't like the Steelers haven't traded around over the years. You act as if you know somehow that the Steelers had these great offers on the table and they missed them because they raced up there.

You are right. Not drafting Humphries was a mistake and well as taking Green. But Colbert bragging about it. Colbert? This is Colbert, not Jerry Jones or something. I would never call anything Colbert said after drafts bragging. It was always a measured, reasoned summary of the draft. And I also like what Kahn/Weidl have done. But if they are together for a number of years, they are gonna have hits, and dare I say a few mistakes. You may be right about Pickett. Heyward's brother was a 6th round pick for crying out loud. So what? So many of those never do anything in the NFL.

I'm really not arguing too much with the fact that Colbert's drafts could have been better. It is your asinine assertion that they read their press clippings, got cute, bragged and all that stupidity.

Aw, bullsiit. They never "carried themselves as the glorious kings of drafting." Stop being an overemotional little girl. Why is it embarrassing to race up with the picks? There is months, weeks, days and hours leading up to that 15 minutes to make the pick that teams pretty much have an idea what they are gonna get if they trade out. It's a stupid criticism. It isn't like the Steelers haven't traded around over the years. You act as if you know somehow that the Steelers had these great offers on the table and they missed them because they raced up there.
Ummm, you do realize some of those "great picks' they raced up to get, as if they were pure gold picks, right? I wouldn't act so braggadocious about some of those picks. But they "ran" up to the podium as if they were so brilliant to take them.

You are right. Not drafting Humphries was a mistake and well as taking Green. But Colbert bragging about it. Colbert? This is Colbert, not Jerry Jones or something. I would never call anything Colbert said after drafts bragging. It was always a measured, reasoned summary of the draft. And I also like what Kahn/Weidl have done. But if they are together for a number of years, they are gonna have hits, and dare I say a few mistakes. You may be right about Pickett. Heyward's brother was a 6th round pick for crying out loud. So what? So many of those never do anything in the NFL.

I'm really not arguing too much with the fact that Colbert's drafts could have been better. It is your asinine assertion that they read their press clippings, got cute, bragged and all that stupidity.
It's stupid because you never know who might be willing to call you for a trade. You should wait up until the last minute.

It's stupid because you never know who might be willing to call you for a trade. You should wait up until the last minute.
We know none of that. We hear this stuff by people supposedly in the know after the draft...a team could have had this or that...a lot of that is speculation. I really think it is a lot to do about nothing.

Have the Steelers made some mistakes in the draft? Sure, but I just don't think that has anything to do with running up too fast to the podium. The deeper issue might be in some of their evaluations of players that they have drafted, not the speed at which they drafted them.

I think it would be interesting if there was some analysis of the teams that do the most moving around in the draft and if it has been that beneficial, as opposed to teams who more often than not sit and just pick. I know we get all excited about the moving around in the draft and so forth...the trade possibilities, but have those teams been overall more successful? Because in the end that is what matters.