• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Stryker's Inside Slant: Week 2 and already on top of the North!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Will they let our D be as aggressive in week 2 as it was in week 1?!!!!!

Will our QB room find the end zone? Will Tomlin win a challenge?

Will they let our D be as aggressive in week 2 as it was in week 1?!!!!!

They should, but be forewarned, the first two weeks could be a mirage... Cousins wasnt ready.. on film you could see him not putting pressure on his ACL when throwing.. and they basically lifted the Matt canada strategy... zero snaps under center... always running from a pistol formation, always passing from shotgun.. predictable and obvious... its why we were just destroying them by the second half

Next up is Bo Nix... who threw 42 times for a whopping 138 yards... he added 35 more on the ground and was sacked twice.
Nix, like most rookies, isn't ready yet.. so unleashing the hounds on him again is probably best...

Note that we didnt really blitz much last week... and got ample pressure..

Id expect another great outing... but that doesnt mean its sustainable... we will know more about the D after the Chargers and Dallas games

They should, but be forewarned, the first two weeks could be a mirage... Cousins wasnt ready.. on film you could see him not putting pressure on his ACL when throwing.. and they basically lifted the Matt canada strategy... zero snaps under center... always running from a pistol formation, always passing from shotgun.. predictable and obvious... its why we were just destroying them by the second half

Next up is Bo Nix... who threw 42 times for a whopping 138 yards... he added 35 more on the ground and was sacked twice.
Nix, like most rookies, isn't ready yet.. so unleashing the hounds on him again is probably best...

Note that we didnt really blitz much last week... and got ample pressure..

Id expect another great outing... but that doesnt mean its sustainable... we will know more about the D after the Chargers and Dallas games
That is just it....we should go after the young QB. Maintain tight coverage. Make him beat us. Not sit back and let him make easy throws....hoping he makes a mistake. We should pressure him onto mistakes.

That is just it....we should go after the young QB. Maintain tight coverage. Make him beat us. Not sit back and let him make easy throws....hoping he makes a mistake. We should pressure him onto mistakes.

We are running Austins D this season, not the old Tomlin stuff, so we are gonna do a lot of man press type coverages.. its why our CBs are mostly young, physical types like Peezy jr, Trice and Rush...

The only thing is we havent seen how this DB group deals with play action yet... week 1 really didnt test them there

Each game will help to define this defense. I’ve been hearing all pre-activity leading up to the start of the season, that this is a stout defense. Time to prove it as they can use this rookie to help tune up for the real deal.

The tougher m ore seasoned QBs coming as the schedule progresses, will help clearing the direction they are headed. Because they have a huge game against a rookie, the “D” unit must keep perspective about that fact.

I think there is the right amount of youth & age on this D. It truely could be a top 6 defense in the league.

Always looking forward our STEELERS proving themselves in a positive form.

Salute the nation

Each game will help to define this defense. I’ve been hearing all pre-activity leading up to the start of the season, that this is a stout defense. Time to prove it as they can use this rookie to help tune up for the real deal.

The tougher m ore seasoned QBs coming as the schedule progresses, will help clearing the direction they are headed. Because they have a huge game against a rookie, the “D” unit must keep perspective about that fact.

I think there is the right amount of youth & age on this D. It truely could be a top 6 defense in the league.

Questions for the Stryker

1). We have to trust the medics on the R.Wilson injury, but how credible would it be to think that Fields is just outright playing good enough to beat out Russ ? Injury is a way of saving a QB controversy.

2). The defensive middle has sure strengthened since last season. Which one single player should be credited (I know it’s a team sport, but who contributed the very most)

3). Many here criticize the decision of NOT kicking the FG to go up by 8. I understand Coach Tomlin being aggressive and going for it, it didn’t turn to fruition, but that really was a bonehead move. Can Coach Tomlin find a better time / game situation to be aggressive than this.

Thank You Stryker, you do a wonderful job in these pod-casts

Salute the nation

1). We have to trust the medics on the R.Wilson injury, but how credible would it be to think that Fields is just outright playing good enough to beat out Russ ? Injury is a way of saving a QB controversy.

2). The defensive middle has sure strengthened since last season. Which one single player should be credited (I know it’s a team sport, but who contributed the very most)

3). Many here criticize the decision of NOT kicking the FG to go up by 8. I understand Coach Tomlin being aggressive and going for it, it didn’t turn to fruition, but that really was a bonehead move. Can Coach Tomlin find a better time / game situation to be aggressive than this.

Salute the nation
It was a bonehead move because it didnt work. if they made it game over. then we would be listening to how Tomlin played it to safe.

It was a bonehead move because it didnt work. if they made it game over. then we would be listening to how Tomlin played it to safe.

Full agree BLITZ, but in the game of football, when you are ahead, one should take the points. In this case it makes it a TD and a 2pt. Conversion just to tie. Far better percentages of a win, than just a first down and possible chance to score again.

Either way, you are right about the bonehead move comment, had they made the line of gain, Coach Tomlin would have been Harrowed far and wide.

Salute the nation

Full agree BLITZ, but in the game of football, when you are ahead, one should take the points. In this case it makes it a TD and a 2pt. Conversion just to tie. Far better percentages of a win, than just a first down and possible chance to score again.

Either way, you are right about the bonehead move comment, had they made the line of gain, Coach Tomlin would have been Harrowed far and wide.

Salute the nation
I am not a Tomlin fan. think he should be gone years ago. he has shown us to many times that he is not the guy to build a SB team.
But he just does not get a fair shake on this board and I get why.

We were used to our team competing for Championships. Now they compete for winning seasons.

I am not a Tomlin fan. think he should be gone years ago. he has shown us to many times that he is not the guy to build a SB team.
But he just does not get a fair shake on this board and I get why.

We were used to our team competing for Championships. Now they compete for winning seasons.

Ditto

Salute the nation

Bo Nix will look just like he did in Auburn when he played Bama... streaks of good plays but he'll fold under pressure.

Salute the nation
First I want to make the point that the Steelers only blitzed twice against Cousins, because he notoriously carves up the blitz. Our zone blitz was perfectly executing rushing 4, just didn't know which 4. Bo Nix will have a lot of trouble with this because he's never seen it. It will be a tough game for him.

Hey DIC! Missed you brother!

1) I'm in the camp that I am happy with either QB starting on this team. Russel is smarter, Fields is an elite athlete. We'll see how Fields does this week vs Denver. I want to see more TDs than FGs before handing him the keys to the team. Would have loved to have seen Russell go up against his old team though!

2) Our NTs don't get the credit they deserve. Benton and Adams are disruptive in the run and pass game, and I tip my hat to them. Larry O had some pressure collapsing the pocket, and Cam is playing stout. Since the ILBs were really not as impactful in this game, I have to give it up to the NTs!

3) I have 2 perspectives on this play. Personally, I would have coached this team to line up and not snap the ball to draw them off sides. A penalty doesn't matter, because Boz can make that FG from 5 yards back, but I for damn sure knew they would have jumped off sides in that situation.

Secondly, we have an elite athletic QB running sneaks for us now with Frazier killing the guy in front of him. We are going to be very successful in the QB sneak game moving forward.

And Tomlin said it best. If you can't convert a 4th and short, you might not deserve to win. Thinking of the worst possible scenario, we fail and give them the ball inside the 10 with our D pinning their ears back and their backs against the EZ. I take that bet the way our D was playing and that is what played out. They made 11 yds on 5 plays and punted.

Unless we get to OT
which is always a possibility in the just keep the games close era

Then no cover zero!!!