• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Study: All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...loyment-growth-2000-went-immigrants-nro-staff

Study: All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants
By NRO Staff
June 26, 2014 7:22 PM

According to a major new report from the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS), net employment growth in the United States since 2000 has gone entirely to immigrants, legal and illegal. Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, CIS scholars Steven A. Camarota and Karen Zeigler found that there were 127,000 fewer working-age natives holding a job in the first quarter of 2014 than in 2000, while the number of immigrants with a job was 5.7 million above the 2000 level.

The rapidity with which immigrants recovered from the Great Recession, as well as the fact that they held a disproportionate share of jobs relative to their share of population growth before the recession, help to explain their findings, the authors report. In addition, native-born Americans and immigrants were affected differently by the recession.

Other significant findings include:

Because the native-born population grew significantly, but the number working actually fell, there were 17 million more working-age natives not working in the first quarter of 2014 than in 2000.

The share of natives working or looking for work, referred to as labor force participation, shows the same decline as the employment rate. In fact, labor force participation has continued to decline for working-age natives even after the jobs recovery began in 2010.

Immigrants have made gains across the labor market, including lower-skilled jobs such as maintenance, construction, and food service; middle-skilled jobs like office support and health care support; and high*er-skilled jobs, including management, computers, and health care practitioners.

The supply of potential workers is enormous: 8.7 million native college graduates are not working, as are 17 million with some college, and 25.3 million with no more than a high school education.
According to the study, 58 million working-age natives are not employed.

Camarota and Zeigler report three conclusions:

First, the long-term decline in the employment for natives across age and education levels is a clear in*dication that there is no general labor shortage, which is a primary justification for the large increases in immigration (skilled and unskilled) in the Schumer-Rubio bill and similar House proposals.

Second, the decline in work among the native-born over the last 14 years of high immigration is consis*tent with research showing that immigration reduces employment for natives.

Third, the trends since 2000 challenge the argument that immigration on balance increases job oppor*tunities for natives. Over 17 million immigrants arrived in the country in the last 14 years, yet native employment has deteriorated significantly.

The Center for Immigration Studies is a non-profit research institute. Founded in 1985, the organization is regularly consulted by policymakers, the academic community, and the media on matters of immigration policy.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Bomma is creating landscaping jobs.

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
Bomma is creating landscaping jobs.

Yeah because he's been president since 2000.

Here is the deal, unless you have a degree in a hard science college is a waste of time for anyone who is a go getter. The reason all those college graduates are unemployed is because they are unwilling to take a service industry job, it's beneath them to work with their hands so they would rather collect unemployment in a lot of cases.

There are welders, machinists, nurses etc. who haven't even noticed the recession, and some(maybe most?) make more than people with masters degrees.The problem is you have to work hard for that same money, deal killer for most.

Immigrants don't have that 'problem'.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Yeah but He was going to fix everything that Boosh messed up, wasn't He?

Here is the deal, unless you have a degree in a hard science college is a waste of time for anyone who is a go getter. The reason all those college graduates are unemployed is because they are unwilling to take a service industry job, it's beneath them to work with their hands so they would rather collect unemployment in a lot of cases.
The wealthiest person that I know personally is a plumber. At this point he owns the company. His boat has two full bathrooms.

There are welders, machinists, nurses etc. who haven't even noticed the recession, and some(maybe most?) make more than people with masters degrees.The problem is you have to work hard for that same money, deal killer for most.
I have an MBA and own my own company but Obamunism and high gas prices are bad for business. I am currently going to school for a two year associates degree in mortuary science so that I can make more money. Bomma gave me a whopping big tax cut though. I make half the money I did in 2007 so I pay half as much in taxes. And Bomma wonders why the deficit is growing. Or maybe He doesn't.

Last edited:

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score

So I drop tens of thousands on a degree and I'm suppose to work a job that doesn't pay ****? It's not about the "job" as much is it is about the cash and potential for growth.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Ron are those bathrooms the stern and the starboard?

Spike

Reaction score
Maybe we will need them - the spoiled generation is no good

Pentagon: Young Adults Too Fat, Tattooed, Uneducated for Military

More than two-thirds of today's youth are too uneducated, have behavior issues, and are not physically fit enough for service.

The major problem is obesity, reports military recruiters. But young adults are also being turned away because they lack high school diplomas, have felony convictions, and are on prescription drugs for ailments such as attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

As a result, the Defense Department estimates, about 71 percent of the 34 million young adults ages 17 to 24 would not be able to enlist if they tried, not counting people turned away for tattoos or other cosmetic issues.

The Pentagon only recently began tracking eligibility, but experts say high school seniors now face the longest odds to quality for service since the draft ended in 1973.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/a.../2014/06/28/id/579805/?promo_code=13E39-1&amp

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

This is hilarious. For once, you don't cut a paste something. You type out your own thought and it is conservative in nature. You don't even realize it.

This is what is frustrating about so many people who vote straight Democrat. They aren't doing it because they agree with the policies. They do it because they have simply chosen a side and they are sticking with it.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
This is hilarious. For once, you don't cut a paste something. You type out your own thought and it is conservative in nature. You don't even realize it.

This is what is frustrating about so many people who vote straight Democrat. They aren't doing it because they agree with the policies. They do it because they have simply chosen a side and they are sticking with it.

Nice post, TAA2I. You nailed it.

I can't get how "liberals" want to have more regulation, which means more "constraints." It's baffling.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Hey Ron are those bathrooms the stern and the starboard?
The correct terms would be forecabin and the other would be starboard, toward the stern.
Front = bow
Rear = stern
Right = starboard
Left = port
As a matter of fact, I DO have a boating license. I just have a jetski but in PA you need a license to operate one. If I got a 1000 hp cigarette boat I don't need to learn jack **** to pilot it. PA is weird.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Stop it...a 1,000 HP cigarette boat on the Ohio river, I wonder how many bridges would get taken down...LOL

ark steel

Reaction score

Awesome. I don't read that cum stains posts, but this made me read one and you hit it spot on.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
So I drop tens of thousands on a degree and I'm suppose to work a job that doesn't pay ****? It's not about the "job" as much is it is about the cash and potential for growth.

At the end of the day, your degree is not a warranty protecting you from having to work at a less-than-ideal job. Even for a degree that costs you your tens of thousands

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
At the end of the day, your degree is not a warranty protecting you from having to work at a less-than-ideal job. Even for a degree that costs you your tens of thousands

The more fool you are for paying tens of thousands of dollars for a degree without knowing how or even whether it will make you employable when you graduate. I have a younger relative that recently got a degree in Latin. What kind of a career are you supposed to build with a degree in Latin? "Fricta Vis ut?"

Vader

Reaction score
The more fool you are for paying tens of thousands of dollars for a degree without knowing how or even whether it will make you employable when you graduate. I have a younger relative that recently got a degree in Latin. What kind of a career are you supposed to build with a degree in Latin? "Fricta Vis ut?"

There are tons of worthless college degrees. All you can do is teach the subject area from the degree. It has no practical use at all. African American Studies? WTF is anyone going to do with that? Liberals want everyone to go to college to pay for their liberal professors to indoctrinate kids. It isn't about learning or getting a job. College should be for real jobs not asinine political ****.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
There are tons of worthless college degrees. All you can do is teach the subject area from the degree. It has no practical use at all. African American Studies? WTF is anyone going to do with that? Liberals want everyone to go to college to pay for their liberal professors to indoctrinate kids. It isn't about learning or getting a job. College should be for real jobs not asinine political ****.

Engineers, doctors and nurses. Did I miss any?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Engineers, doctors and nurses. Did I miss any?

My BA is in Philosophy. It bought me a ticket to graduate school. Ended up a teacher. Hated it.

You're right.

ark steel

Reaction score
My BA is in Philosophy. It bought me a ticket to graduate school. Ended up a teacher. Hated it.

You're right.

I have a good friend with that degree. He is a professor at a small college. Makes a good living and summers in Europe...

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Wow, I am actually suprised that I agree with you on anything. I have preached this for years.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Tape - Don't forget the same can be said for those who vote straight Republican too.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Tape - Don't forget the same can be said for those who vote straight Republican too.

It happens far less on the Republican side as the Tea Party clearly demonstrates. I've never voted straight anything.