• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thank You 7 – SteelerNation Staff Edition

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Today marks one week since the Pittsburgh Steelers lost in the Wild Card round to the Kansas City Chiefs. Time goes on, but the pain of losing in the Wild Card round two years in a row never seems to really go away.

To make matters worse, reports began to surface back in December that 18-year veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was likely to retire at the end of the 2021-2022 season. The reports started to gain traction as the season began to wind down and barring an unforeseen miracle, it seems as if Roethlisberger has played his final game as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

The statistics and accolades Roethlisberger amassed over his career are endless, but below are a handful that really define Roethlisberger’s career in the black and gold:

1. Two-time Super Bowl Champion
  2. 8-time AFC North Champion
  3. Career win percentage of 66.9% (5th all-time in NFL history)
  4. 53 game winning drives (2nd all-time in NFL history)
  5. 41 fourth quarter comebacks (3rd all-time in NFL history)
  6. 64,088 passing yards (5th all-time in NFL history)

We could fill an entire article with nothing but Roethlisberger accolades, but these specific ones truly speak to what his legacy is. He came in and did nothing but win over his 18-year Hall of Fame career. It wasn’t always the prettiest, Roethlisberger will be the first to admit that, but at the end of the game the Steelers were on the right side of the scoreboard more times than not.

A lot of the writers for SteelerNation.com had time to digest Roethlisberger’s career over the past week and below are their favorite memories over the past two decades:

Justin McGonigle: “My favorite Ben moment. Gosh there’s so many. Obviously the Super Bowls. I can’t even think straight right now after that game, but for me, I was in Cincinnati for the Wild Card game in 2015. Ben is out with a dislocated shoulder. He comes back in the game, leads that unbelievable comeback. Bengals fans riot. It was amazing.”

Brandon Wallace (B-Wall): “It’s got to be Super Bowl XLIII for me. Big Ben to Santonio Holmes in the back corner of the end zone to seal it. Two feet down of course. Not sure which was better, the catch or the throw. Regardless, really special moment. #ThankYou7!”

Jonathan Clark: “It’s hard to choose one moment to describe the legacy of Big Ben Roethlisberger. I have seen many miraculous comebacks during his 18-year career, all of them different in their own way. The absolute most iconic moment for Roethlisberger had to be in Super Bowl XLIII, where he led the Steelers offense on a game winning touchdown drive to bring a Lombardi trophy home to Pittsburgh. Everyone remembers the throw to Santonio Holmes in the back of the end zone that sealed the win and rightfully so, but prior to that, Roethlisberger, after starting the drive out on his own 10-yard line, drove the ball 75 yards down the field and put this team in a position to win the game, doing all of this with just over 2 minutes left. I’ll never forget watching that game live, nervous to the core, up until that moment I saw the Lombardi Trophy in Big Ben’s hands. All I can say is thank you Ben, from all of SteelerNation. We truly never would have wanted anyone else under center for these past 18 years.”

Ben Michaelian: “Favorite game probably the 2008 Week 5 game. Sunday Night Football at Jacksonville. Typical Steelers game where it starts ugly, Ben turns it on, and back ups step up. This game involved another Roethlisberger game winning drive, consisting of a big first down with a defender draped all over him. The game winning TD was a Hines Ward fade route. Of course, this game was a part of their Super Bowl 43 winning season.”

Bill Washinski: “No particular order:

1. 2004 draft. Finally hearing the name not of just a QB but the one QB I wanted most, not just in the great 2004 draft, but in the 20 years of drafts desperately wanting us to draft a franchise QB.

2. 2005 AFCCG—After all the AFCCG failures to see, Ben get us over that hump with ease. It was like 1997 vs. Broncos vs. Steelers had roles reversed. Arguably his best postseason game (that was a win).

3. Ben to Santonio. Nuff said.

4. 5 TDs in first half on MNF vs. Ravens when Harrison overshadowed him.

5. Back to Back 6 TDs with 862 yards passing 2014—including the highest of his career—522 vs. Andrew Luck. It was over 50 points.”

Chris Magnum: “My favorite Ben memory is this fake spike from a few years ago. Odd choice but before this game, I had never really been into pro football and it’s what got me watching Steeler football more and turned me into both an NFL and a Steelers fan.”

Roethlisberger’s grit and determination to give his team and these fans his absolute best every game of his career is what I will always remember. He could have easily retired in 2019 after his elbow reconstruction surgery, but he rehabbed and came back for two final seasons. He was a first ballot Hall of Famer prior to his injury and had nothing left to prove. There were many games where a normal quarterback would’ve exited the game, but not Ben. He played through countless ailments and proved to his team and this city just how much he cared.

There’s not one word or phrase that could express my gratitude for what Big Ben meant to me as a young kid and Steelers fan, but I think I speak for all Steelers fans when I say, “Thank You.” Thank you for giving me something to look forward to every Sunday. Thank you for providing memories that will stick with me forever. Thank you 7.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think it needs to be BigBen to Santonio. One of the most clutch plays of all time on the biggest stage leading to a beautiful win.

To many for me to list. slash hits it right but there are many many many more acolades but that particular one was for all the beans.

3- 500 yard games
2- 6 TD games that happen to be back to back
13-0 as a ROOKIE starter, let that sink in for a moment THIS IS A B-I-G one as well
K-9 contributions

Ben deserved a sandwich named after him and it took the nation by storm !!!!

Salute the nation

To many for me to list. slash hits it right but there are many many many more acolades but that particular one was for all the beans.

3- 500 yard games
2- 6 TD games that happen to be back to back
13-0 as a ROOKIE starter, let that sink in for a moment THIS IS A B-I-G one as well
K-9 contributions

Ben deserved a sandwich named after him and it took the nation by storm !!!!

Salute the nation
It is a pretty good sandwich too.😁

It is a pretty good sandwich too.😁

Even out here in the O'l west the Sports Bar I frequent for games replicated it in honor of BEN (but for me mostly).

You are definately right as to being pretty good.

I actually had one at Peppi's on the strip right in the prime of things. It was huge but the glutton that I am was able to eat it all and savor the moment. That was back when football was real !

Salute the nation