• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thank you, Ben Roethlisberger

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It is up in the air whether this will be the last season of Ben Roethlisberger‘s career as not only a Pittsburgh Steeler, but a player in the National Football League. Many speculate that this will be his last season regardless. It is certain that others outside of Pittsburgh have strong, negative opinions about Roethlisberger, but the members of Steeler Nation have plenty of respect and admiration for him.

He has produced 156 regular season wins (5th all time) to go along with 13 postseason wins (4th all time) and two Super Bowl victories. He is the greatest Steeler quarterback ever and deserves to be seen as so. If this is the last year that we get to see Roethlisberger put on the black and gold, I think I can speak for the majority of the fan base and say thank you.

It has been a long road from April 24, 2004 when he was drafted until now. Media scrutiny, off the field questions and a plethora of injuries have all been part of the rollercoaster for Roethlisberger. Pittsburgh has seen him grow into a mature leader who understands what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

He has joined the field with multiple Hall of Famers (with whom he will join in Canton one day) and is one of only two players drafted in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft still playing (Larry Fitzgerald). We have seen ups and downs throughout his career, but every time he suits up as QB1, Steelers fans across the world believe a victory is possible regardless of the circumstances. That is rare to find and we “aght” to be appreciative of having that for so many years.

A 13-win first season, his shoestring tackle in the 2006 AFC Divisional Game, game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII, combined division record of 67-22-1 (including playoffs) and so much more have given Steeler fans memories for generations down the line. Roethlisberger only has a losing record against five out of the 31 NFL teams he has played.

It is rare in today’s sports world to have someone play for the same city and fan base for as long as Roethlisberger has. Albeit, it is not like the Steelers were ever planning on letting him go, but he has never once expressed displeasure with the organization nor wanted a fresh start.

As he has enjoyed on the field success, Pittsburgh will also forever be grateful for his contributions to the community, which I would assume won’t stop with retirement. His foundation assists police and fire departments specifically in the K9 departments and he has actively been involved with the Make a Wish Foundation. Roethlisberger has volunteered several times throughout his career for those who need assistance.

“It’s about love and about helping others.”

At today’s food distribution through the Farmers to Families Program & @ConvoyofHope in New Castle, @_BigBen7 explains why it’s important to him and his family to find ways to help those in need. pic.twitter.com/2R5ClD8N7Q

— Steelers Community Relations (@SteelersCR) July 22, 2020

Early on in the COVID-19 pandemic, Roethlisberger spent over $10,000 buying gift cards to support local businesses who were struggling during the time.

It is hard to encapsulate almost two decades of memories, wins and much more in a short article, but the bottom line is that Steeler Nation will always be thankful to Roethlisberger for his contributions on and off the field.

Numerous game-winning drives, thrilling touchdown passes, “Houdini” escapes in the pocket, helping the local community and simply being a reliable, loyal quarterback for 18+ years will always be remembered in Pittsburgh. We do not get to experience greatness often and when we do, we do not soak it in and enjoy it while it lasts. If this is indeed the last we will see of Roethlisberger, let’s soak it all in. Thank you Big Ben for your years of commitment to the Steel City.

What is your favorite Roethlisberger moment since he became a Steeler back in 2004? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I remember his rookie year thinking what a great time it was to be a Steeler fan. 2004 , we had this guy for years to come. As fans we knew we all of a sudden had a shot at the one for the thumb. Didnt take long. We got Championship 5 and then 6.

I hope this team realizes how much Ben deserves another championship. Hopefully they rally around him like the 2005 team did around Bettis

Thanks Ben for making the last 17 and now 18 years an incredible time to be a Steeler fan.

I'd like to see him go out well be it this year or next. Either way it's been a hell of a ride.

It could be a long time before we get another HOF caliber qb. We've had 2 in the last 50 years who have won all of our superbowls.

Enjoy the moment.

TD to Holmes in the superbowl.

It was pretty hard to find a highlight video that completely encapsulates Ben, but this one seemed pretty good:

Great article and fine read.

You ask if we have any one play that would be our favorite. WELL that would be a task but here is mine

Ben Roethlisberger's entire career as one play. His rookie season was outA this world yet the media / others wanted to give the credit to the run game manager "statis" BEN was, phoweybutt on that.

There are somany "BIG" plays it would be hard to narrow it down to 50 yet alone one.

THANK YOU BEN ROETHLISBERGER for your great career up till now and including future.

EDIT: phucin spun

Salute the nation

Ben was my favorite draft pick of all time. I can remember exactly where i was when they announced the pick… he didn’t disappoint…
Not gonna lie, I wanted one of the top Corners that each went the 2 picks before we went. Also wanted Shawn Andrews because I thought Maddox was our guy. Boy was I wrong...

I don't have one play that stands out from the many plays available made by Ben over the years but my favorite Ben moment was a conversation that Ben was having with his coach before a playoff game and I can't remember who they were playing but the conversation went like this.

Coach: Ben, if we win the toss we're taking the ball today

Ben: Coach, don't they have like the greatest defense ever in the history of the game?

Coach: Yes they do, but I have you.

That sums up Ben's career in a brief 15 second conversation.

Papillon

I love the story an assistant said that Ben had a final 2 minutes to win the game. He took off his hat, handed to the person, and said "I'll be back for it in 2 minutes!" And, he went out and led the team straight down the field for a TD to win the game. His confidence at that time was a thing that electrified the fan base - everyone knew the game was ours!

He is the greatest Steeler quarterback ever
I like Ben and all he's done for the stillers, and he's played long enough to own all the stiller passing records, but TB is still the greatest stiller QB in my book.

I'm a huge Roethlisberger fan. I also like me some Terry Bradshaw. I have room in my heart for both of them.
As I tend to pay attention to things though I saw something in the Clark podcast that made me just a little sad though. When Troy and Ike are talking about the AZ superbowl and lamenting the fact that they weren't playing as well as they had a bit earlier in their careers and that's why AZ was even in the game, when it came to talking about falling behind with only a couple minutes left, Ike said he went to Santonio Holmes and pretty much put all his faith on him. Troy more or less "went along" with that line.
I found it interesting that neither of them really gave Roethlisberger any credit whatsoever for that last drive. Indeed, there are few moments in the entire interview when they have much to say about Ben. Not all that unusual, given the fact that they are defensive guys, but I found the Superbowl thing interesting and a bit sad.

I'm a huge Roethlisberger fan. I also like me some Terry Bradshaw. I have room in my heart for both of them.
As I tend to pay attention to things though I saw something in the Clark podcast that made me just a little sad though. When Troy and Ike are talking about the AZ superbowl and lamenting the fact that they weren't playing as well as they had a bit earlier in their careers and that's why AZ was even in the game, when it came to talking about falling behind with only a couple minutes left, Ike said he went to Santonio Holmes and pretty much put all his faith on him. Troy more or less "went along" with that line.
I found it interesting that neither of them really gave Roethlisberger any credit whatsoever for that last drive. Indeed, there are few moments in the entire interview when they have much to say about Ben. Not all that unusual, given the fact that they are defensive guys, but I found the Superbowl thing interesting and a bit sad.
I dunno maybe they thought Ben's role on that last drive was a gimme. But Holmes stepped up in the precise moment needed. I took it as just making rounds on giving credit. Not a diss on anything Ben.

I've always been amazed that people give Holmes all the credit for that last pass without noting that it was a) a perfect pass, and b) followed an equally perfect pass being dropped by Holmes on the prior play.

That drive and play should have been highlighted by the league as being Ben, but they were still mad at him for Milledgeville. There is no way he wasn't the MVP of that game. The only one close to him would have been Deebo.

I took it as just making rounds on giving credit. Not a diss on anything Ben.
I didn't necessarily take it as disrespect of Ben, I just found it interesting and a bit sad that they didn't say something like, "Ben and Tone were dialed in." or something like that. Pretty much implied that Holmes did it all by himself.

And in fairness, Holmes DID have a great series. But the truth is, the biggest play Holmes made on the drive happened because a DB fell down and Ben put the ball on the money for Holmes to make a 25, 30 yard gain. Fact is, Ben was JUST as good as Holmes was on that drive.

And in fairness, Holmes DID have a great series. But the truth is, the biggest play Holmes made on the drive happened because a DB fell down and Ben put the ball on the money for Holmes to make a 25, 30 yard gain. Fact is, Ben was JUST as good as Holmes was on that drive.

And the reason (IIRC) that DB lost his footing is because Ben pump-faked him outta his jock. If people really look at what Ben had to do to buy time to get it to Holmes on that drive especially, people would know he was Super Bowl MVP. But Milledgeville.

Favorite moment? The TD pass to Stonio in the Super Bowl.

Remember it like it was yesterday. I was watching the SB at our church and I was the ONLY Steeler fan in attendance. When Fitz made that play and put the Cards up with a couple minutes to play the place EXPLODED. Lots of glee, and you can imagine how many people clapped me on the back and said something to the effect of "How bout them Cards?"

Juuuuust a bit later, when Holmes made that catch, just Wig exploded with a "Yaaaaaaaaaa!" and hands upstretched in a TD gesture as I exploded off my seat. For some reason the place was pretty quiet otherwise...