• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

the 5 players we need to step up down the stretch

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/l.../?newsletter_origin=steelerswire.usatoday.com

I would put them in a different order:

1.) Kenny. We not only need 250+ yards a game but some flippin' TDs would be nice. He picked it up a few notches last week, this MUST continue for us to go anywhere.

2.) CB Pat Pete. I'm slow to buy this though. I just think we were sold a bill of goods on how much he had left in the tank. I would choose other DBs to add to this list such as Fitz JPJ and Thompson.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-found-something-trenton-thompson

3.) Calvin Austin - After so much ballyhoo, he hasn't done much of anything, go figure. If not him, then how about Pickens? Someone needs to step it up at WR.

4.) Highsmith. Familiar story: signs his big deal for big $ and then disappears. Sigh.

5.) Larry O. Has played in spots, just need a little more consistency.

Calvin Austin has done well returning punts, I don’t think he’s to blame for not being more involved in the offense just like I didn’t think it was Friermuth fault for not being more involved prior to last week.

1. Why in the heck do you think Pickett needs to throw 250 a game? If Tge running game stays as it has bee, Pickett needs to convert third downs, make a handful of plays to keep the D from loading the line and protect the football… thats it… we don’t have a passblocking oline.. we absolutely shouldn’t be trying to pass a ton…

2.Patrick Peterson Really isn't an outside CB anymore… either Wallace has to get back to where he was last year or Rush needs to get up to speed asap

3. Calvin austin is a good call… he has been utterly forgotten in the Offense.

4. Highsmith… remember that in this D much of the time one OLB will often be in coverage, and most of the time that will be Highsmith.. between that and run contain… I don’t know if he is going to see a dramatic improvement in sacks this year… though if TJ, Heyward and Mincah are in… he may well be the big star down the stretch simply because no one else is left to block him and he gets less coverage duties

5… i think Ogunjobi is doing the basic DL stuff they signed him for. He doesn’t need splash plays.. just anchor plays…

Honestly, down the stretch Id rather see Moore or Cole step up… either taking a bit of a step forward in pass protection will really help the offense

1. Why in the heck do you think Pickett needs to throw 250 a game? If Tge running game stays as it has bee, Pickett needs to convert third downs, make a handful of plays to keep the D from loading the line and protect the football… thats it… we don’t have a passblocking oline.. we absolutely shouldn’t be trying to pass a ton…

2.Patrick Peterson Really isn't an outside CB anymore… either Wallace has to get back to where he was last year or Rush needs to get up to speed asap

3. Calvin austin is a good call… he has been utterly forgotten in the Offense.

4. Highsmith… remember that in this D much of the time one OLB will often be in coverage, and most of the time that will be Highsmith.. between that and run contain… I don’t know if he is going to see a dramatic improvement in sacks this year… though if TJ, Heyward and Mincah are in… he may well be the big star down the stretch simply because no one else is left to block him and he gets less coverage duties

5… i think Ogunjobi is doing the basic DL stuff they signed him for. He doesn’t need splash plays.. just anchor plays…

Honestly, down the stretch Id rather see Moore or Cole step up… either taking a bit of a step forward in pass protection will really help the offense

Great post madinsomniac, thanks for all the great ones along the way.

You nailed the KP8, we don’t need gunslinger yardage. What we do need it the ball protection and plays to keep the defense honest. Those plays are now being called as opposed to the O’Canada presence. Remeber, if the OC/Play caller continue, this is the actual start of the Developement of KP8. He will learn more in a few games than the entire time under Matt’s totaledge.

The WR room seems to be slacking, DJ has brain farts and Pickens has self pity, Austin just has Midget syndrome (Disappeared).. I agree that this room needs to step up, with or without butter.

Highsmith is doing everything asked of him. Sure, the glamor sacks aren’t happening but you also have DC Austin schemeing these OLB out of the play or in positions to not win. WATT continuously takes on double teams (sometimes triple) because of the two down lineman. Makes it easier on the ”O”, yet WATT still is a beast. Highsmith gets that same treatment, just not nearly as much as WATT. For a #2 OLB, Highsmith is pretty dang good, he’s not TJ, but still a very solid book end and that’s what we need.

Salute the nation

Calvin Austin has done well returning punts, I don’t think he’s to blame for not being more involved in the offense just like I didn’t think it was Friermuth fault for not being more involved prior to last week.
I don't disagree but the blame doesn't stop at Canada, Shades is front and center.

I think pat Pete has been better recently. Wallace needs to step out up.
I agree with CAIII. We need more WR production in general. Teams will key on Muth and DJ so other guys need to get open quick